It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alaska

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2003 @ 10:11 PM
link   
I read somewhere, that the U.S. only has Alaska for 100 years after the U.S. government signed the agreement with Russia.

This is because after the regular agreement was signed, other people met secretly and signed for only 100 years, basically like a rental.

posted on Mar, 14 2003 @ 11:19 PM
link   
No, I don't believe that is the case. But even if it were, the agreement is void since it was made with Imperial russia, not the Communist russia that followed it, nor the Federation that exists there now.

posted on Mar, 14 2003 @ 11:47 PM
link   
It was an act of cession and the land was ceded in perpetuity contingent only upon the USA coming up with 7 million and a bit in gold by the deadline..
Given that the agreement was signed by Seward and Stoekel as plenipotentiaries of President and Tsar: it's difficult to see who else COULD have met to change things ( even if things could have been changed).

posted on Mar, 15 2003 @ 08:59 AM
link   
alaska
i heard in sometimes ago that the american goverment
paid to the russian upto 50million dollar or gold i didnt know it.the question is this information reliable

posted on Mar, 15 2003 @ 09:29 AM
link   
The Russian-American Treaty of 1867 says in Article 6 that they paid $2.7 million in gold.

www.akip.org...

top topics

join