It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Subject Matter Expert Status

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Hello ATS.

I have a question.

What does it take for a person to be awarded SJME status?

Also, can that status be revoked or removed under any circumstances?

I often feel that people need to have more information about exactly what subject the badge relates to - rather than something homogenous as it is now. It has occurred to me upon several different occaisions that ATS members give undeserved creedance to SJME members on topics that they are not necessarily qualified in - simply because of their SJME badge.

Secondly, I feel that some SJME's 'abuse' their position as SJME's to try and unfairly reinforce points upon which they may not be entirely accurate or fair.

Don't get me wrong, I am sure that SJME's are awarded their position fairly and squarely - and that this is to be applauded. But I do think some specificity is required.

Parallex.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   
According to the instructors at the USAF Academic Instructors School (AIS)at Maxwell AFB AL a subject matter expert (SME) is anyone who is more than 25 miles from home. My best,

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Parallex

One useful thing to know is that if you click on a Subject Matter Expert's badge it will take you to the forum for which they are an Expert.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by americandingbat

That's extremely interesting - I didn't know that! thankyou.

Parallex.

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Parallex

It has occurred to me upon several different occaisions that ATS members give undeserved creedance to SJME members on topics that they are not necessarily qualified in - simply because of their SJME badge.

Secondly, I feel that some SJME's 'abuse' their position as SJME's to try and unfairly reinforce points upon which they may not be entirely accurate or fair.

Could we have some staff input on the above points? I think they're quite pertinent.

Parallex.

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 12:10 PM
link   
I guess being an expert in something or other would be a start. being able to back that claim up, obviously.

I was going to be the expert in lazyology, but i couldn't be bothered to get the certificates.

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Is there a quiz for something like that? lol, does one who satisfactorily passes this test get a degree or license for said success?

Do we send check or money order directly to ATS, or PayPAL?... can that be C.O.D.?

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Parallex

They aren't really "SJME"s.....they are "FSME"s.

Like, ravenshadow HERE, for example.

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

I like how the forum tags people with a particular area of expertise but I agree with the original poster that the tag is misleading without an explanatory suffix.

For instance, lets say we have an aviation engineer, it would be helpful if the badge read: SUBJECT MATTER EXPERT | AVIATION.

[edit on 8/31/2010 by clay2 baraka]

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   

It has occurred to me upon several different occaisions that ATS members give undeserved creedance to SJME members on topics that they are not necessarily qualified in - simply because of their SJME badge.

SME status is awarded by staff as a consensus vote. It's based on the member demonstrating a good knowledge of the subject matter, willingness to research such topics, and general posting decorum and history of the member. Could even be related to the member's occupational history/status, etc. in that field. (for example, in the Aircraft forum, SME's typically work in that industry).

Yes, it can be revoked or removed by staff.

Clicking on the SME title will show you what subjects the SME is qualified in, so members can adjudicate how much they personally weigh the input.

If you feel an SME is unfairly trying to use the position, call them on it, show your own research/support, etc., or even U2U staff or use the complaint function (or even U2U the SME, and discuss it like civilized folks...)

For my own SME status, I can only surmise that it's due to my history of posts in the genre (Aliens & UFOs), history of discussions with UFOlogists (both on this board and offline), and demonstrated knowledge of the field. Basically, I've been a UFO buff since I was a kid, and have tried to read every book, see every film, look up every FOIA doc, etc. on the subject since I could remember. In doing so, I've seen everything from the genuinely intriguing, to the outright silly, but it all allows me to apply that perspective to a given case. There is no real "degree" in UFOlogy, so I hope members simply judge my input based on my posting history, and what they know of me, but also apply their own ideas and research to their conclusions. I offer my input as information only, and no SME's posts should be taken as gospel without your own efforts at understanding the topic.

[edit on 31-8-2010 by Gazrok]

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Thanks Gazrok.

I liked your post - very informative, and a great explanation.

Parallex.

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 05:24 AM
link   
And before the question is asked, no SME's are not a training camp/stepping stone to becoming a moderator. While it is true that many of the Mods are SME's. Not every Mod is or has been a SME. I will point to myself as an example, but there are a few others as well.

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 05:33 AM
link   
G'day.....

I think we should have an "I'm Really Stupid" status.

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

[edit on 3-9-2010 by Maybe...maybe not]

top topics

join