It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientist are baffled about elongated formed crater on mars!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Pictures 1 and 1a

Picture 2

They better can be baffled for what’s in this crater
,so today I stumbled on this article published by daily galaxy. As you can see this large elongated crater right on front of you .
The scientist all are baffled about how this thing could be created by nature.
As I studied this crater I came to notice some particular things , things I can remember seeing here on earth to . So I took the photograph from ESA and pointed these clear anomalies out for you. And the description that I’m thinking to see here!

At photo 1 you see that on the left side of this elongated crater you see (I think )some kind of geysers.picture 2 point C To my opinion these are water fumes that reaching high pretty high distances. Also the wholes look stranger as the holes from the small craters more like geyser holes like seen on picture point C and D.
On the right side of this crater it looks like this crater has water on the bottom of this crater on picture point A. This also is commonly seen here on earth.
So there’s divinity loads of water under the surface of mars to my opinion.!

External news source :Odd Mars Crater a Cosmic Mystery -Baffles European Space Agency Scientists (Weekend Feature) An elongated crater on Mars, Orcus Patera, the enigmatic elliptical depression that lies near Mars's equator, in the eastern hemisphere of the planet is a mystery, say European scientists scrambling for an explanation of its odd shape.

Located between the volcanoes Elysium Mons and Olympus Mons, how it was formed remains is a puzzle, a European Space Agency release said Friday. The term 'patera' is used for deep, complex or irregularly shaped volcanic craters, but despite its name and its location near known volcanoes, the actual origin of Orcus Patera is still unknown, scientists say.

The well-defined depression is about 230 miles long by 87 miles wide. It has a rim that rises up to 6,000 feet above the surrounding plains, while the floor of the depression lies about 1,500 feet below the surroundings. Some researches say it may be a large and originally round impact crater, that was later deformed by compression forces. Or it could have formed by the erosion of two or more closely aligned impact craters.

Most scientists, however, that the most likely explanation is that it was made in an oblique impact, when a small meteor or other object struck the Mars surface at a very shallow angle of less than 5 degrees.
Daily galaxy

News Snippet:

The existence of tectonic forces at Orcus Patera is evident from the numerous large graben that cut across its rim (Box 1) (Note: there is nothing unusual about this as tectonic forces are present everywhere).

Up to 2.5 km wide, the graben are oriented roughly east–west and are only visible on the rim and the nearby surroundings. Large graben within the depression are not visible, having been covered by later deposits. However, smaller graben are present (Box 2).
They indicate that several tectonic events have occurred in this region and also suggest that multiple episodes of deposition have taken place. The occurrence of ‘wrinkle ridges’ within the depression proves that not just extensional forces, as needed to create graben, but also compressive forces shaped this region (Box 3).

The dark shapes near the centre of the depression were probably formed by wind-driven processes (Box 4), where dark material excavated by small impact events in the depression has been redistributed. Credits: ESA/DLR/FU Berlin (G. Neukum
ESA
ESA 2

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 09:20 AM
link   
NM found the pics

[edit on 8/30/2010 by mblahnikluver]

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by 0bserver1

Very interesting information. It remains to be seen if the scientist will send any rover to these places and make sure what caused them. S&F.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Sheol

Hopefully they do this because this is very obvious for me what i'm seeing here.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver
NM found the pics

?

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 09:32 AM
link   
I can't really see it. I appears to be a frozen gusher that is very tall, according to the shadow. There are also long shinny objects laying to the left of it.

I am glad to see they are baffled by something on Mars. The "railroad tie" "the three circles on the rock" "thirty or so checker patterns in the crater" were all dismissed away.

Anyway, Star n Flag for you!

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 09:45 AM
link   
It is interesting that since the moon has no atmosphere, that the meteors that hit the moon aren't still visible.
it looks like all the craters are empty

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by 0bserver1

Originally posted by mblahnikluver
NM found the pics

?

I can't get the linked pics to show up but I found the pics on the link. I do see what you are pointing out. I too think there is water on Mars.
Mars imo has life and yes I don't mean bacterial life. I believe Mars has life underground.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sheol
reply to post by 0bserver1

Very interesting information. It remains to be seen if the scientist will send any rover to these places and make sure what caused them. S&F.

To be clear, do you mean future rovers?

The two rovers -- Spirit and Opportunity -- didn't cover as much ground during their lifetimes as many people think. In the 6+ years on Mars, Opportunity only traveled a total 14 miles (22.6 km) so far, and Spirit traveled a total of 4.8 miles (7.7 km) before getting stuck (Spirit is stuck in the sand and hasn't been able to move for about a year). Opportunity is still going.

Therefore, in the past six years, the Mars rovers have only traveled distances similar to driving around the outskirts of your hometown.

Opportunity is located on the other side of Mars from this crater, thousands of miles away. It will never be able to reach that crater. Spirit is closer (hundreds of miles away), but as said above, it no longer moves. In fact, Spirit went into a low-power hibernation mode in March, and it is not clear if it will ever again have enough power to wake itself up. Even if it could move, that crater is far out of its reach.

...having said that, I do agree that it would be great if a future rover could investigate this area. Perhaps the next rover (the Mars Science Laboratory -- or "MSL" or "Curiosity") will be able to rove that area.

The nominal mission of the MSL is to traverse 12 miles over two years, but as seen with Spirit and Opportunity, that mission may last much longer -- and go farther. Spirit and Opportunity's missions were only to last 90 days, but have continued on for six years. If the MSL lasts six years, it could potentially traverse 50 miles.

However, looking at the short list of potential landing sites for the MSL, it doesn't look like it will be that close to the crater in the OP.

[edit on 8/30/2010 by Soylent Green Is People]

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 10:08 AM
link   
One explanation for the elongated crater on Mars could be that mars had a third moon that slowly dropped in orbit till it hit the planet.

The two moons that mars has now are believed to be captured asteroids was there a third moon millions of years ago.

The tidal effects of a small moon dropping into the atmosphere of mars would have had a major devastating effect on the atmosphere.

Mars where large impact craters number in the hundreds and basins are found well in excess of 1000 km may be dead from its atmosphere
being blasted away.

A kilometer sized object will make a crater of approximately 20 kilometers in diameter.
Mars has impact basins over 1000km one of these would blow a major amount of atmosphere off the planet.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 10:14 AM
link   
The superimposed pictures of terran bodies of water give the OP a biased posture.

In the original pic, I can't identify anything that would look like water. As others pointed out, the elongated crater may be a result of an impact -- as large as the crater is, it's still of the same order of magnitude as many younger craters in the picture.

Interesting nevertheless.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by ANNED
One explanation for the elongated crater on Mars could be that mars had a third moon that slowly dropped in orbit till it hit the planet.

That's assumable But how does this defines the canyons that crosses in and out the craters plateau ?

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 10:46 AM
link   
It looks like an impact crater caused by an object that just "skimmed" the surface.
An object hitting at a shallow angle would cause a long crater like this.

Th is article suggests that the canyons valleys (they call them "graben") within the crater may have been caused by compression of the soil.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem
The superimposed pictures of terran bodies of water give the OP a biased posture.

In the original pic, I can't identify anything that would look like water. As others pointed out,

look beyond 2D and then you know what I'm pointing at

(bbcode)

[edit on Mon Aug 30 2010 by Jbird]

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Soylent Green Is People
] for the MSL, it doesn't look like it will be that close to the crater in the OP.

That's a shame who wouldn't want to have a peek at that site?

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 12:10 PM
link   

It looks like an impact crater caused by an object that just "skimmed" the surface.
An object hitting at a shallow angle would cause a long crater like this.

But how come that surface of this crater is so flat? filled with sand maybe?

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by 0bserver1

] for the MSL, it doesn't look like it will be that close to the crater in the OP.

That's a shame who wouldn't want to have a peek at that site?

Well, it seems no matter which site they pick, someone could that about every interesting site they didn't pick.

For example, if they chose to see the OP's crater in lieu of -- say -- Holden Crater, then I would argue that it's a shame that they are not peeking at Holden Crater.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

Excellent article on the matter. I see that the pic in the article is opposite of the OPs My comment on how tall it is from the shadows, is now kaput!

Do you have any clues on the drag marks across the crater? Fault lines?

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 01:31 PM
link   
yes those graben are dead straight it looks like...i would expect natural fault lines to run a little crooked with the varying compositions of the strata they traverse.
I HIGHLY DOUBT WE ARE GETTING ALL THE STRAIGHT GOODS ON THIS....

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tribble
There are also long shinny objects laying to the left of it.

I am glad to see they are baffled by something on Mars. The "railroad tie" "the three circles on the rock" "thirty or so checker patterns in the crater" were all dismissed away.

Anyway, Star n Flag for you!

Well I'd see them but couldn't make out what it was? But the shiny thing you talk about can't find it?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join