It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How To Get Bulletproof

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 04:36 AM
link   
When we reach TSHTF scenario, I want to be ready. I wish I could have more faith in my fellow man but I know the reality is that when panic sets in, people tend to become a little irrational. So with that in mind, the only thing left for me to do is bulletproof my vehicle and person. Does anyone know much about carbon steel?

From what I can gather on the internet, you want your carbon steel sheet to be a minimum of 5mm in thickness to stop bullets from most common weapons and low powered rifles?? Does this sound about right??

Due to the common availability of steel in comparision to kevlar/ceramic composites, I intend to bulletproof my SUV and design a homemade bulletproof vest out of carbon steel plating.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/0aad6e2923af.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1eeca121cc29.jpg[/atsimg]

[edit on 30-8-2010 by rajaten]

[edit on 30-8-2010 by rajaten]

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 04:58 AM
link   
I saw a segment on the show Mythbusters about using phone books to bulletproof a vehicle. Turns out it was a complete failure lol.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 05:18 AM
link   
reply to post by NeutronAvenger

lol phone books that would look ridiculous. Imagine strapping 6 phonebooks to yourself with duct tape lmao

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 05:22 AM
link   
reply to post by rajaten

LMAO, I could just imagine it. And, yeah it looked rediculas, it barely moved. Here's an exert from the show below:

And it had to be the chick firing the .50 cal. haha

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 05:29 AM
link   
I think making your own bullet proof vest would be difficult. You can make it out of metal but it would be quite heavy (think medieval armour chest plate). You would need quite thick and dense metal to stop a rifle bullet.

Having said that the russians did it in world war 2, using around 2mm of steal. But they were design to stop 9mm at a range of 100m. Not exactly your up close rifle shot that would likely be the case in a SHTF situation.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 05:37 AM
link   
If you have the cash- go with full body armor Head to toe, like the bank robbers in LA. Why take a chance of getting hit anywhere? and a full helmet.

For the vehicle- same thing (Phone books haha) Go big so you can clear obstructions in the road. Half inch steel plate everywhere. Including the undercarriage. Install a large fuel cell in the back.

There are tons of post civilization movies to get design ideas on where to place the steel plates. Now tires- I don't know how large the Runflat tires are made. There is a huge plastic like mini tire inside. Supposedly good for 50 miles after the rubber is deflated.

Oh and don't forget the trip wires and booby-traps around your lair!

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 05:53 AM
link   
Yeah, buy a helmet at the very least as well, No point having S*** hot body armour when I can pick off a head shot !!

That 50Cal bullet is something else........... it looked like a missile when it left the barrel of her rifle.... !!

Regards

PurpleDOG UK

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 05:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pryde87
I think making your own bullet proof vest would be difficult. You can make it out of metal but it would be quite heavy (think medieval armour chest plate). You would need quite thick and dense metal to stop a rifle bullet.

Having said that the russians did it in world war 2, using around 2mm of steal. But they were design to stop 9mm at a range of 100m. Not exactly your up close rifle shot that would likely be the case in a SHTF situation.

en.wikipedia.org...

Yeh I think you need at least 5mm of good quality carbon steel or possibly 12mm of low quality steel to protect from an average rifle round. I might have to buy some plates and test them out in the country.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 05:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by PurpleDog UK
Yeah, buy a helmet at the very least as well, No point having S*** hot body armour when I can pick off a head shot !!

That 50Cal bullet is something else........... it looked like a missile when it left the barrel of her rifle.... !!

Regards

PurpleDOG UK

Good point! Do you think the old german helmets from ww2 would stop a rifle round? I have an antique, it looks kinda old though dunno if it would stop anything coming out of a firearm today.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 06:45 AM
link   
My advice is get on Ebay, and don't buy Israeli products, they are extortionate.

Buy German vests you can get ones that will stop a shot gun blast at relatively close range. Any sort of automatic weapon and you're out of luck though! also for Anyone in the UK there are lots of bouncers and ex police selling them. Or if you live in the North West there is a Kevlar manufacturer on the Wirral which you can buy from directly.

Luckily for us here in the UK we are unlikely to come across anyone with a high powered machine gun in any SHTF scenario. I can't imagine what you'd be up against in the states.

P.S. How hot is Kerry firing that rifle? Awesome.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 06:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by NeutronAvenger
I saw a segment on the show Mythbusters about using phone books to bulletproof a vehicle. Turns out it was a complete failure lol.

Granted that rifle bullets will go right through, I used to stack 2 or three wet phone books and they would stop 9mm and 45.

Reminds me of the Clint Eastwood flick that he used the boiler plate as a chest shield. Now thats heavy!

Again, a 30 cal rifle would eat that up too.

Op, hang it up. The amount of steel vs. weight would be too heavy not too mention you wouldnt be able to move.

Get you a good vest with ceramic plates if your worried.

BTW, Kerry? Redhead, hot, with weapon. Whats not to like? mmmmm!

[edit on 30/8/10 by felonius]

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 06:58 AM
link   
If you are going to modify your vehicle in this way then there is probably a lot more you need to do also.

all that metal is going to add a lot of weight to it.

you might need to upgrade the brakes, as it will take longer to stop the car.
suspension will need doing too.
you might also want to add a larger fuel tank, if that's even possible. because you will be guzzling a lot more.

plus you wont have bullet proof windows wich is a major flaw.

I think you would really be better of just buying an armoured car.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 07:01 AM
link   
holy crap,i would chack out ebay for amoured cars. look what i just found for £5000!!

cgi.ebay.co.uk...

[edit on 30-8-2010 by MR BOB]

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 07:17 AM
link   
reply to post by MR BOB

5k for that beauty wow that is sxc.

Dammit you're probably right. Maybe I should just sneak into my nearest barracks and hijack a freakn tank. That should do me

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 07:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Tribble

Booby traps LOL like in The Goonies haha

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 07:29 AM
link   
reply to post by MR BOB

You can buy stuff like that even cheaper directly from the Ministry of defense in the UK

Check it out

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Hey guys, I've got a better idea!

We all need to get together and find a bunch of engineers so we can start construction on this:

vonbrrr.Deviantart.com

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/67bc86fdd866.jpg[/atsimg]

Come on... you know you want to...

We can still ask Keri to join us with her .50 cal!

[edit on 30-8-2010 by Tarrok]

[edit on 30-8-2010 by Tarrok]

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 07:55 AM
link   
The best way to be bulletproof is to never have them shoot at you. Learn how to camouflage yourself and move silently.

If you must get a helmet (kevlar - much lighter and stronger than steel) and a bulletproof vest (which will only stop small arms rounds).

Your best protection is to not get shot at.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pryde87

en.wikipedia.org...

These work pretty well and for $99 the price isn't too bad and it
can stop some middle power rifle shells.

But it will not stop AP rounds, or .50 cal.

You will need a carrier vest and more if you want to cover
your upper thighs as well.

Most ppl find it hard to carry a pack, a weapon and full set of this,
If you are built like a gorilla like me it helps.

...://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190277987974&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT...

ATS will not post this link any way I try to post it, so copy and paste
and remove the periods and http in front of the colons.

If that fails try searching Ebay for:

"NIJ LEVEL 3 Bulletproof Plates LEVEL III"

They included pics of rifle shots to the plates.

You will need trauma pads behind them or the shock wave of the
impact will still do tissue damage.

As to armored vehicles you need a totally different suspension,
engine and more to handle the weight.

Most vehicles cannot handle the extra weight.

Thou we did have a guy armor plate a bull dozer and drive it thru
city hall in a hail of gunfire in a small town east of the Metro.

He wrecked all the buildings in town of ppl that he felt were crooked,
then he took his own life once he was sure he'd wrecked their life
like they wrecked his.

[edit on 30-8-2010 by Ex_MislTech]

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Try pumping da irons, too. Sure, muscle isn't gonna work like kevlar, but hey, it'll make you a tiny bit more resilient.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join