It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fire at Tenn. Mosque Building Site Ruled Arson

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by 23refugee
Pork isn't allowed in Dearborn's school system. Is this religious tolerance?

I don't think its particularly unusual or new for schools to accommodate beliefs or ethnicity.

I know I got sick of fish sticks every Friday back in the 50s.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Apparently very few people read the CBS news release. There was no mosque burned down. It hasn't been built yet. Some landscaping heavy equipment was set afire. Ya bunch of hot heads.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by MoorfNZ

Originally posted by Annee

I'm actually a minority already. You assume too much.

I'm not. Unless you want to consider female a minority.

But - I recognize fear of loss of power when I see it.

You appear very power oriented. Fear of loss of power? No.. what power? Fear of loss of culture and freedom? Yes...

Like the Native Americans???

Oh - and I'm a Spiritual Humanist.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by 23refugee

I don't think its particularly unusual or new for schools to accommodate beliefs or ethnicity.

I know I got sick of fish sticks every Friday back in the 50s.

I grew up in a dry county, no alcohol. I always thought of that as religious intolerance. Just because the majority found alcohol sinful, no one had any.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 09:18 PM
link   

I'm actually a minority already. You assume too much.

I'm not. Unless you want to consider female a minority.

But - I recognize fear of loss of power when I see it.

You appear very power oriented. Fear of loss of power? No.. what power? Fear of loss of culture and freedom? Yes...

Like the Native Americans???

Oh - and I'm a Spiritual Humanist.

I guess, when you're from the UK, you're used to a history of being taken over by many, many cultures over the centuries, and also taking over and giving back other countries. It's just part of the history of Europe. Think about it too much and you'll choke with guilt and kowtow to every race or religion that brings up the past.. oh.. wait.. ahhhh, I see now..

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno
reply to post by 23refugee

You have to source these things. really, how are we supposed to believe this crap unless you source your BS?

Besides the fact that pork isn't a religion.

I think you'll find it is banned, and that meat in Dearborn schools is Halal - seems sensible considering about 90% are Muslim.

The locals' argument for it:

www.islamfortoday.com...

Implemented:

In February of 2001, Dearborn Public Schools began accepting proposals from halal food distributors to provide food to its 28 public schools. “The whole point is to give foods they can eat, so they’re nourished and can function in the classroom,” Bob Cipriano, the district’s business manager, told the New York Times. Eight years earlier, Dearborn schools banned pork from their lunches to accommodate Muslim dietary guidelines.

americancity.org...

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 09:31 PM
link   

I guess, when you're from the UK, you're used to a history of being taken over by many, many cultures over the centuries, and also taking over and giving back other countries. It's just part of the history of Europe. Think about it too much and you'll choke with guilt and kowtow to every race or religion that brings up the past.. oh.. wait.. ahhhh, I see now..

Ahhhhhhhh - - I'm happy to end on that note.

I think its the core of why people get upset - more then ideology.

An animal territorial instinct.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by MoorfNZ

But it doesn't say that they banned pork at public schools. If I had a child in that district I could still pack him a big bacon & ham sandwich if he wanted and send him off that way.

Still, pork isn't a religion.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by MoorfNZ

I don't think Muslim children should be forced to eat pork or non-halal foods, by any means.
Only some of Dearborn's schools are 90% Muslim. Both articles state that the percentage of Muslim students in the school district is between 35 and 40. Religious dietary restrictions are enforced on a majority of between 60 and 65 percent. I can see how this could be cost effective, especially in this anti-peanut butter age.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Ok, so perhaps it has been banned in some schools..

Meanwhile, in the United States in 2007, several school districts removed pork products from their cafeteria offerings. Dearborn, Mich., schools banned pork completely to avoid the possibility that Muslims students might unknowingly eat it. The district later added special halal foods to its menu to cater to the demands of its Muslim population. An elementary school in San Diego that offers Arabic, single-gender classes and Muslim-only organized prayer, no longer offers pork to any of its students. And in Oak Lawn, Ill., where the administration is debating elimination of Christmas holiday celebrations, pork has already been banished from the school lunchroom

archive.frontpagemag.com...

Again, as I said before, I'm tired of tolerating a religious community that demands my respect but does not return the same or tolerate other beliefs to the same extent.

As for the recent events in Tennessee (subject of thread) it seems that not only were items of machinery torched but shots were fired a few days later. The target was not the existing mosque but its under-construction expansion.

Then, on Saturday, the police say, someone set fire to construction equipment at the site where the Islamic center is planning to move, destroying an earthmover and three other pieces of machinery. And on Sunday, as CNN was filming a news segment about the controversy, someone fired at least five shots near the property.

www.nytimes.com...

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by MoorfNZ

Those shots may have nothing to do with the mosque.
It is Tennessee.
It could have been a man named Jed, who barely kept his family fed, shootin' at some food...

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by 23refugee

or perhaps CNN-haters...

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno
reply to post by centurion1211

I didn't realize that the twin towers was the holiest shrine in America. I would have thought that if they were going after the holiest parts of America they would have hit something like the Lincoln memorial or the Statue of Liberty and not two office buildings and the headquarters of the military industrial complex.

Unfortunately, some people need to be led by the nose to wisdom and understanding.

No, the twin towers are not religious symbols. But they were symbols of New York and the U.S. Symbols of the financial power of the U.S. Something just as important to Americans as islam is to muslims. Thus in a way they are equivalent. At least, enough for most people to understand the meaning of my post.

Maybe everyone does now ...

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by MoorfNZ

The CNN Haters were the ones with the horn that played "Dixie".

Usa Today

[edit on 30-8-2010 by 23refugee]

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 12:08 AM
link   

I am - by the way - familiar with the Radical Scotch/Irish hillbillies. My hobby is cultural/social anthropology.

I WAS just going to sit this one out, and read in peace.

Then I got to THIS post.

"Radical Scotch-Irish hillbillies"? That, together with the rest of your categorization and characterization of what constitutes a "radical" leads me to believe that in your own mind, ANYONE who may potentially disagree with you is a "radical".

That by itself is a pretty radical concept, isn't it?

Doesn't that make YOU a radical?

[edit on 2010/8/31 by nenothtu]

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 12:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by nikiano

Religious tolerance, my ass. The mosque on Ground Zero is not about religion, or God, or bigotry or racism. This is about them trying to start a fight. They want to see how far they can push us before we push back.

While the mosque is not AT ground zero, it appears that they ARE getting it as close to the mark as they can, in a bid to provoke. As you say, seeing how far they can push us before we push back.

It seems they are about to have that question answered...

Whatever happened to common sense in this country!!

It was murdered in the 1960's. It lingered on a bit, on life support, but finally succumbed.

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by nenothtu

"Radical Scotch-Irish hillbillies"? That, together with the rest of your categorization and characterization of what constitutes a "radical" leads me to believe that in your own mind, ANYONE who may potentially disagree with you is a "radical".

That by itself is a pretty radical concept, isn't it?

Doesn't that make YOU a radical?

You probably should check post I was responding to.

Actually - I have great respect for the strong willed hillbillies - - who fought to live their culture - - in their generation. It was a different time.

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 12:56 AM
link   
Just a little added note on this topic. It's interesting to me that this proposed Mosque was attacked just 3 days after the airing of a Daily Show segment on this particular mosque.

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 12:56 AM
link   

You probably should check post I was responding to.

Actually - I have great respect for the strong willed hillbillies - - who fought to live their culture - - in their generation. It was a different time.

I did check the post you were referring to there, but couldn't find anything to categorize hillbillies as "radical Scotch/Irish hillbillies", particularly the way you were tossing the "radical" label around, and thus equating whatever was "other" to your thinking as "terrorists" by way of liberal application of the term "radical".

And, umm.. the part there about "in their generation. It was a different time" you ARE aware that we aren't extinct, or anything like that, right? Naw, I might be an antique now by them thar standards, but we aren't anything like extinct.

You got it spot on about us being "strong willed" and willing to fight to preserve our culture, though. We always have been, and I reckon always WILL be... until we finally DO go extinct, that is.

Be that as it may, kudos for that observation!

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 12:59 AM
link   
reply to post by nenothtu

I'm not one to toss "radical" around. Its not a word I normally use. So - it came from somewhere.

Feel free to make an issue of it if you wish. I won't be responding.

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join