It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Government X-Ray Vans :Goodbye 4th amandment:

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Government X-Ray Vans :Goodbye 4th amendment:

www.youtube.com

On the surface this seems like a great tool to catch criminals, until the white collar criminals get a hold of it. Who is to say a lead shield can't beat it.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 29-8-2010 by Athin]

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 09:37 PM
link   
New to this site but thought I should post this. Not sure how to change where I post so MOD feel free to move it because I'm sure this isn't 'breaking news'. Where is the 4th amendment rights? I just can't fathom how this can possibly be legal. What do you guys think about this? Has anyone seen one of these things driving down the street?

www.youtube.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Uh crazy stuff there....we knew this was coming, so we shouldn't be surprised. If I may use the analogy, that technology is like magic. Magic is neither good nor evil....but in the heart of the witch which makes it good or evil.

btw your registration date is almost a year ago....how are you new? don't you know how to use this site by now??!!

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Best thing is, it has a simple 4 button operation for the government stooges intended to use it.

Like you both said, this is both good and bad. It all depends who's hand are operating it and for what purpose.
Excellent technology though.

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Aren't x-rays carcinogenic? Doesn't seem like too bright an idea to put a cancer causing machine on wheels and drive it around town.

TheAssoc.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 12:04 AM
link   
AS & E (American Science & Engineering) Homepage

A mobile X-Ray van disguised as a seemingly normal delivery van can rove the streets peering into homes and vehicles without a search warrant.

Already the abuse of power has been seen with X Ray machines at the airports which image our bodies nude for the eyes off the screeners and cases of images being saved and taken home. Now image how much more opportunity for abuses would arise from these roving all seeing eyes?

Only hearing about this now? The government made its first purchase of 22 vans in 2008.... 2009, 2010, and 2011 orders are unreported.

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety deserve neither Liberty nor Safety"
-Benjamin Franklin

[edit on (8/30/10) by AllSeeingI]

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 12:05 AM
link   
HOW is this van disguised when it says backscatter scanner on the side?

Seems people are blowing things out of proportion, also these are to expensive and america to big to be effective.

I am guessing their just for demonstration, heck they may even be fake mockups made to show whats possible.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 02:59 AM
link   
reply to post by AllSeeingI

It's ridiculous when they state in the beginning of that video that due to the terrorist attacks we "need new tools to confront these dangers"...

I'm of the impression that the OLD tools/methods can and have worked just fine, they just must be used more properly.

Also... this push towards a techno-surveillance/police state will only inflict more collateral damage on innocent civilians (who are SUPPOSED to have rights to privacy, freedom, and so on) than it will to any terrorists. Like any thing, there will ALWAYS be weaknesses to exploit in the surveillance state, there will always be soft spots and vulnerabilities. A push towards a police state will only encourage smarter terrorists... it's like a race between anti-biotics and superbugs... it doesn't end, the whole while innocents are feeling the harmful effects of these polarized battles.

There's no reason for these x-ray machines to be used in public. In ports... perhaps they're justified, I can't say for sure. However, we can all see where this sort of thing will creep- if TPTB like using their new toys in one place, they'll try to spread it everywhere else till there's an x-ray machine on every highway overpass. This is totally UNACCEPTABLE, especially in an era (even post-9/11) where more people die of frigging bee-stings than terror attacks.

The most damage these things will do will be to civilians both to our liberties and even our bodies (considering the dose of radiation, no matter how insignificant it's claimed to be). When I go outside I GIVE the sun permission to radiate me... but I'll NEVER give the government permission to, no matter how they try to justify or minimize it. They have no right to subject people to this sort of invasion of privacy and cellular damage with weak arguments supporting security over liberty.

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 05:52 AM
link   
Yeah I feel this is fighting words, the Succubus government can not do this legally as defined in the Bill of Rights and declaration of Independance. And that is why we must take the power back. Like Rage Against the Machine says If we don't take action now then we will settle for nothing later. ...And that is exactly what we will get NOTHING LATER. We will be hopelessly controlled by our RED government. When will we wake up and stop this. We must start in court and if that doesn't work then we are commanded by the Powers invested in the Declaration of Independence to throw down this tyraneous government and start over fresh. Listen here peoples we are comanded it is our duty to throw down this form of government literally, WAKE UP AMERICA Angel One is speaking here and the pussy government knows exactly where to find me if they have beef with that because I DARE them literally, try me I'll take you all on.

new topics

top topics

join