It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Silly question?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 08:17 PM
link   
There's a lot of gay marriage threads on the board now. Is it an election year? Oooo. what the hell would GM mean to anyone else? What about abortion? That's another good one. It's not like Roe vs Wade is going to get overturned in the next.......... well ever.

Issues that don't matter. Why are we focusing on them? Is it keeping us away from "other" parties that are actually making some sense? Think about it. There are WAY bigger issues than abortion, gays, etc. It's just easy to obfuscate the political terrain with those. It hits people where their politics hits them. Usually in the guts.

Here's a thought. Next time you get your pay stub, look at the taxes you paid and think, "Where's my money going?" It's probably to getting you on all fours. That's the nicest way I could think of putting it.

You guys really have to ditch the 2 party system. Too easy for the Gov't to do you badly. Hell, they've even invoked the 1st Amendment for their mouthpieces(MSM ALL OF THEM) that work against the people.

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Noticed that too...the increase in certain topics again. 66 more days, is it? Wedge issues. Nothing more, nothing less. Grab a few more votes from people who might actually be swayed by such things alone. They need these issues to maintain the illusion that there are differences between the parties, when everyone knows there are virtually none. Abandon the party system altogether or give us at least 6 or 7 parties and then it might matter again.

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

I agree that the two party system is trash. But........

Abortion is just sick, I mean really, it is inhumane, forget conservative vs. liberal it is the destruction of a future human being. Wow.

Gay marriage on the other hand, really, why would anyone care. Two individuals should be allowed to do what they want to do, at least in the state's eyes. Churches can choose to support or not.

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Its easy, special interests is an easy way to distract people into voting in a particular block.....

Im of the agreement that there are WAY more important things going on then the little stuff.

Taxes and the general direction of the country are of more importance than your right to have a marriage certificate if you are gay.......im sorry but it is..

Because in the long run, peoples ideas on gay marriage, abortion, or the ability to say the pledge in school.........wont matter if there isnt a country to do any of it in.

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ace High
I agree that the two party system is trash. But........

Abortion is just sick, I mean really, it is inhumane, forget conservative vs. liberal it is the destruction of a future human being. Wow.

Gay marriage on the other hand, really, why would anyone care. Two individuals should be allowed to do what they want to do, at least in the state's eyes. Churches can choose to support or not.

That's my beliefs as well. The question is WHY focus on the issues that the Supreme Court(SC) have already decided upon. That's American law, bottom line. Even discussing it is wasted breathe. But here we are again.

What should we be talking about? Involvement in foreign countries. Hmm, how much is that costing? The bail outs? Ditto but I can actually see that one. Just my opinion.

Hey, I've got one for you. Which is more important?

Obama is/n't a legal citizen vs the immigration issue at the southern border?

See what I'm saying? They are playing you all. Phishing as it were and a lot of people are falling for it. F Obama. F Congress. F the GOP. F them all.

WAKE UP GUYS, BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE.

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Hmm, I haven't noticed a particular increase. It seems like there are always at least a couple of threads on ATS regarding issues of gay people. They aren't always about marriage though.

Is the marriage part, just a political issue? Could be, but for the most part, I think gay people just want the same rights as anybody else.

An election year, is as good a reason as any, to bring their rights to the top!

While you think this detracts from more important issues, this might be the most important one of all, to a gay person!

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid[/i
Hey, I've got one for you. Which is more important?

Obama is/n't a legal citizen vs the immigration issue at the southern border?

See what I'm saying? They are playing you all. Phishing as it were and a lot of people are falling for it. F Obama. F Congress. F the GOP. F them all.

WAKE UP GUYS, BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE.

Exactly F them all. They are controlling the masses and that is all.

And they are the pawns.

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 08:47 PM
link   
is this one of those silly canadian "play pretend like we matter" or can i, your neighbor to the south, join in and give my 2 cents? my 2 cents are worth 6000 in canadian currency by the way. what do you call your currency?

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blanca Rose
An election year, is as good a reason as any, to bring their rights to the top!

While you think this detracts from more important issues, this might be the most important one of all, to a gay person!

A valid point. It's just the obfuscation that grinds my gears.

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 09:57 PM
link   

There's no silly questions. Only silly answers.

Like, whoop whoop whoop nyuk nyuk nyuk!

That was a silly one.

Yes, it's election time. Gay marriage, the Muslim community center near ground zero. Yes, it's to divide us, in my opinion. And this division works. Whether I disagree with something my conservative friends are all excited about, or I disagree with something my liberal friends are all excited about, I become an "enemy". Even if it's just one issue. Or, if I just don't react and give an opinion at all, I'm an "enemy". I'm "one of those".

The anti-abortion links are showing up a lot on my facebook page, posted by some friends. I no longer react to them at all. It's an exercise in futility, because if I don't post a rabid response against abortion, I'm flamed.

Yes, both "sides" are gearing up right now.

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

You guys really have to ditch the 2 party system. Too easy for the Gov't to do you badly. Hell, they've even invoked the 1st Amendment for their mouthpieces(MSM ALL OF THEM) that work against the people.

The system is to entrenched. The Corpratacracy has gotten what they wanted during the Bush administration.

All the issues being bandied about by the MSM are just fodder for proletariat to
to latch on to maintain the illusion that there is a choice.

We are marching into 1984, a bit late, but Fascism is here and there is no escape. Not thru the ballot box anyway.

We have entered the neocons new American century and it's going to get ugly.

en.wikipedia.org...

top topics

join