It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gay/homophobic - a collection of political clips.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by ~Vixen~

I probably don't have the best clips here, so if anybody finds something interesting, please add.
There are indeed a lot of threads on the topic, and often they consist of subjective statements of widespread gay public exhibitionism, or of widespread homophobia.
From my location it is very hard to decide what is true and what is allegations simply by the biased stuff people write.
So perhaps a visual resoure might have been helpful (although that may also be biased, but it's more open to debate).

[edit on 31-8-2010 by halfoldman]

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by truthquest

On homophobia, fear and hatred. In hindsight you raised some good issues, although I cannot totally agree.
I think there is a phobia involved in racism. One only needs to visit a racist website to see the fear-mongering - usually fear of rape and crime or areas becomming slums. In SA academics usually describe the underlying root of white racism as the unadmitted fear of black revenge for apartheid and colonialism.
So fear and hate are very much intertwined. Strangely, it seems more manly to disguise fear with hate. The processes are complex.
However, homophobia is a dogged term, and I wish there was a short term for anti-gay hate without the "phobia". I think what the term was supposed to highlight is that outward hatred towards gays masks an inner fear of being or becoming gay. So the homophobic fear speaks little of a fixed gay minority, instead it fears that society can be homosexualized by gay rights and visibility. So these homophobes are hardly secure in their heterosexuality, which is under constant threat.
Nevertheless a major componant of racism is fear.

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by halfoldman

Just to add, racism can refer to a phobia or dislike of any race by any race.
However, increasingly albophobia is used for anti-white racism, although it literally means the fear of whites. According to the Wiki dictionary it is interchangeable with "reverse racism" (against whites), "leukophobia" and "anti-white racism". www.babylon.com...
So it's not quite fair for "homophobia" to be singled out as a term that goes beyond literal fear into wider hatred.
I suppose such terms show an increasing tendency to psychologize prejudice as ultimately rooted in fear, since we are likely to hate the things we fear.

[edit on 1-9-2010 by halfoldman]

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 07:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by truthquest
reply to post by halfoldman

Homophobic is the FEAR of homosexuals. Anti-gay is being against gays. Very big difference. The idea that there are people out there actually afraid of homosexuals is pretty ridiculous to me. I know a lot of people who think it is wrong but nobody who is literally scared of them. It sounds like petty name-calling to me.

If there aren't people out there actually afraid of gays then why does the gay panic defense exist?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join