It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Favorite machine gun

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 09:06 AM
link   
What is your favorite machine gun and why?
Mine is the thompson with the drum clip.
Even intothe 60s U.S.army soldiers in vietnm were tradinging in thier M-16s for tommys.

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Light machine gun or Heavy machine gun? both are very differet classes of weaponry...

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Favorite man portable machine gun, something you could carry.

[edit on 21-6-2004 by mwm1331]

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by mwm1331
Even intothe 60s U.S.army soldiers in vietnm were tradinging in thier M-16s for tommys.

The thompson (M1A1) is actually a sub machinegun (SMG) if I remember correctly.
But anyway, the PKMN along with the FN MAG 58 has got to be one of my favorite ones, although I didn't get a chance to fire either of them.

posted on Jun, 22 2004 @ 12:32 AM
link   
The "Chicago Typewriter" is a good choice, but I would have to say that the BAR would be my choice. .30-06 has better range, select fire, and is bipod supported.

Best field machine gun would be a draw between the M-2 and the MG-42. The M-2 belched out a 750 grain slug with an effective range of 1 mile and the MG-42 put a ton of lead downrange.

[edit on 22-6-2004 by Wudman]

posted on Jun, 22 2004 @ 12:59 AM
link   
my fav weapon would have to be a STEYR AUG P, y mainly cos its the
Australian SAS weapon of choice. and also because it kickes ass in Counter Strike.

posted on Jun, 22 2004 @ 08:16 AM
link   
RPKS-74, prolly lighter than the PKM, I also like the SAW/M249 as well -- I was reading about the Seal's(? I think) Mk.48 looks pretty sweet, might be better than the M249

posted on Jun, 22 2004 @ 07:13 PM
link   
the 50 cal because it is still in use now after more than 50 years.

posted on Jun, 22 2004 @ 07:37 PM
link   

The MG-42 is my favorite because of its high rate of fire and reasonable portability, it is still in use in many countries armies 62 years after its introduction - a testament to good design.

posted on Jun, 23 2004 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Thats an easy one for me, my favorite machine gun would be the newest .50 caliber machine gun.

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 07:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by kaskad

Originally posted by mwm1331

The thompson (M1A1) is actually a sub machinegun (SMG) if I remember correctly.
But anyway, the PKMN along with the FN MAG 58 has got to be one of my favorite ones, although I didn't get a chance to fire either of them.

The FN MAG 58 is an excellent weapon, fired it a number of times in the Australian Military. My favourite Heavy Support weapon ( I say this purely on experience, not by reading countless 'Janes' publications.

Originally posted by madwalrus911
my fav weapon would have to be a STEYR AUG P, y mainly cos its the
Australian SAS weapon of choice. and also because it kickes ass in Counter Strike.

The Austrlian version is actually called the F88 AU Styr, absolutely fantastic automatic rifle. 4.2 Kilograms when loaded, bullpup design (enabling to to be used in confined spaces such as vehicles while still having the full length barrel. Plastic exterior, good for when you are in cold conditions and don't feel like touching metal. Another great feature is the lack of a 'Rock and Roll' box, to choose auto or semi-auto you just squeeze the trigger to different marks, forst mark - semi, pull through that to get to auto.

posted on Jun, 25 2004 @ 01:53 AM
link   
Even tho its not a machine gun, the M16 A/2 is my favorite

posted on Jun, 25 2004 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
the 50 cal because it is still in use now after more than 50 years.

Its been around since the late 20s early 30s (DAMN!!!!)

Anyway Mine is the ma deuce, but portables are, M-249, M-240, MG-42 and coppied from the MG-42, the M-60

posted on Jun, 25 2004 @ 04:16 PM
link   
The m249 (SAW) is a great weapon because its light and easy to carry on foot. Its easy to carry alot of extra drum ammo within the team and squad as well because the drums are convenient and can be stuffed lots of places.
It is a light round though (5.56), and doesnt have the penetrating power of the 240B (7.62), or M2 (.50cal).
When my unit first arrived in Afghanistan we mounted our organic m249s on the humvee turrets. We quickly upgraded them to 240B's and then upgraded again to .50 cals.
Life was much better with the .50 cals.
A standard patrol would be two vehicles - one with a MK19 in the turret, the other with the .50.
Now speaking of machine guns - how about that MK19?

posted on Jun, 25 2004 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phoenix

The MG-42 is my favorite because of its high rate of fire and reasonable portability, it is still in use in many countries armies 62 years after its introduction - a testament to good design.

you stole mine!

and it is a good design. look at the tail end of the m-60 and mg-42. the us borrowd the design to make the m-60. so they are relative basically

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 10:20 PM
link   
mine would have to be something that is verrrry powerful....something like an m60 is my favorite. i used to be a huge sniper person but then i thought about it and now going into the action seems like more fun....heres the order my favorites go in:

1st:m60
2nd:sa80
3rd:and type of sniper rifle

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by abductee93
...i used to be a huge sniper person but then i thought about it and now going into the action seems like more fun....

When you are in the action, it is NEVER fun. It is fun in games, but when you are ducking rounds not knowing when/if you will be hit you sweat pure fear, unless you have no worries about dying.

[edit on 30-6-2004 by Ezekial]

new topics

top topics

join