It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Let's be a bit realistic here....

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Two. Eyes do not glow. They may on occasion reflect, but that requires a light source to hit the face.

Bioluminiscence is common in nature. If the creature in question is 'strange', it could have photophores in its eyes.

[edit on 30-8-2010 by Spinotoror]

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 08:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Spinotoror

But bio-luminescent eyes would actually disable sight, as there is no configuration that would prevent light from entering the retina and distorting vision. It simply isn't a selectable trait to be partially blind all the time.

reply to post by okmijnlp

Originally posted by okmijnlp
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

Lets not because tbh i hate ppl like you lol

Um...people like me?
Let's see, people that want claims to be supported by scientific rigor?

And, honestly, we're on a message board, we're not texting each other. You have a full keyboard at your disposal, use it.

Anyway, why do you hate 'people like me'?

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
The topic of cryptozoology has always interested me since I was a child, but I've shied away from it due to the, and no offense is meant here, insanity that goes on within the crypto community.

So how about we throw some realism and science into the mix?

For example, the werewolf. Doesn't make any sense at all. Extreme morphological changes that include increase in mass simply cannot happen over short periods of time, they defy physics.

Let's make this the 'Cryptozoology As A Proper Science' thread!

How about we start by identifying which cryptids are the most scientifically possible?

I agree... there are many creatures, even some so called mythical creatures that HAVE eventually been identified.... like...

“Cited is the 2003 discovery of the remains of Homo floresiensis, a descendent of Homo erectus which took the anthropological community completely by surprise. Myths of a strikingly similar creature, called Ebu Gogo by the local people, persisted until as late as the 19th Century, but it took until 2003 before the possible fossil remains of this species were found.”

“Cryptozoological supporters have noted that many unfamiliar animals, when first reported, were considered hoaxes, delusions or misidentifications. The Platypus, Giant Squid, Mountain Gorilla, Grizzly-polar bear hybrid, and Komodo Dragon are a few such creatures. Supporters note that unyielding skepticism may in fact inhibit discovery of unknown animals. Others have suggested a rigid world view disallows many academics from accepting evidence contrary to the prevailing paradigm.”

www.crystalinks.com...

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Sorry about the double post... but... what do you all think about the Mongolian Death Worm? I believe it's in the Gobi Desert.

I haven't done any searching around for information, have any of you? Is this even plausible?

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 04:50 AM
link   
reply to post by FoxMulder91

I agree. The oceans need to be searched out more and investigated. It has probably been said before, but we know more about the moon than we do our own oceans. That pretty much tells the tale imo.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 02:00 PM
link   
"Living" Dinosaurs
While the idea of a 50 ton herbivorous dinosaur picking around for ferns in your backyard is a delightful thought, it really is not scientifically plausible.

The fact of the matter is Dinosaurs lived in a very young and youthful Earth. Nearly toxic amounts of oxygen supported a massive explosion of life which fed these dinosaurs for millions of years. Temperatures were drastically differing from today, much more humid and moist always supportive of plant life which helped to feed the massive herbivores which in turn fed the massive carnivores. To put it simply, look at the requirements many animals have today, then double them, and you got the dietary/oxygen/climate requirements of a dinosaur which the earth in its weakened state cannot provide. So to believe a prehistoric creature such as a Plesiosaur or Elasmosaur lives and seemingly thrives in a frigid Loch devoid of the large amount of food and oxygen and temperature requirements a large marine reptile would need is just silly.

So, in conclusion, today earth just does not have the resources and the threat of humans removed, so it only makes scientific sense that "living" dinosaurs are not capable of living in the modern world.

any thoughts?

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by OceanStone
Sorry about the double post... but... what do you all think about the Mongolian Death Worm? I believe it's in the Gobi Desert.

I haven't done any searching around for information, have any of you? Is this even plausible?

I think so. it sounds like it's a feasible, if exotic creature.

I agree that werewolves and vampires are supernatural entities, not cryptids. I think the term 'mythical creature' confuses us as 'mythic' can imply fictional/supernatural (greek gods), or legendary (Ray Lewis is a mythic linebacker).

edit on 8-9-2010 by works4dhs because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 02:54 PM
link   
One thing that seems to pop up often where cryptids are concerned and one of the most common arguements for not investigating them is lack of viable habitat. I hear that argument applied all the time with arguements against bigfoot, the eastern mountain lion (and the UK cats as well) and almost any other criptid said to live in the "industrialized" world. The truth is that, by some estimates, 40 to 50 percent of north america is wilderness or undeveloped land. About 10% is federally or state protected wilderness with little or no road access. Many people will say tha that is mostly in Canada and Alaska but the truth is that there is still pristine wilderness areas in almost every state in the US. Ask any hunter and you will find that there are areas nearby that are accessable only by ATV or foot.

So, with about half the land area in north america seeing little or no human traffic for long periods of time, the idea that some unidentified animals living with little or no contact with humans is plausible. When you add in the fact that we know more about mars than we do about our own oceans, the room for unidentified animals is enormous.

As a final aside, I agree that some "mythical" abilities of these animals are the product of overactive imaginations but just because someone tells tall tales about them doesn't mean that some glimmer of truth isn't there. A bigfoot-like animal with more canine features isn't outside the realm of possibility though one that transforms into a human form may be.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by works4dhs

Originally posted by OceanStone

I think so. it sounds like it's a feasible, if exotic creature.

I found this article about the Mongolia Death Worm...

“IT LIVES BENEATH the sands of the Gobi Desert in southern Mongolia. The blood-red creature surfaces only occasionally, but when it does – beware. The Mongolina Death Worm lives up to its name. It spits a yellow, acid-like saliva at its victims. And should you get close enough to touch it, you're not lucky, you're dead, for the Mongolian Death Worm can pump out jolts of electricity powerful enough to kill a camel.

That's the legend, anyway.”

paranormal.about.com...

Here’s an artists picture of it on this site…

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e96481c64313.jpg[/atsimg]

So, any thoughts?

It spits acid like saliva… could it be a snake, like the cobra?

Now the jolts of electricity… that’s odd, the electric eel gives off electricity. Does anyone think this could be some sort of land electric eel?

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by OceanStone

This actually seems like a perfect example of what I'm talking about. This could in fact simply be a very large worm that got a lot hearsay attached to it.

The spitting of a corrosive substance is a slight possibility, though probably unlikely as are the electric shocks. It could be true that it spits a substance that blinds.

Also there's the fact that most subterranean creatures can't see or only see a little bit.

So this is one where we have to take the possibility of a large worm like creature, but the rest of it might be an exaggeration.

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 06:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
The topic of cryptozoology has always interested me since I was a child, but I've shied away from it due to the, and no offense is meant here, insanity that goes on within the crypto community.

So how about we throw some realism and science into the mix?

For example, the werewolf. Doesn't make any sense at all. Extreme morphological changes that include increase in mass simply cannot happen over short periods of time, they defy physics.

Let's make this the 'Cryptozoology As A Proper Science' thread!

How about we start by identifying which cryptids are the most scientifically possible?

Favorite topic of mine, and I know what you mean about the insanity. See a LOT of that on one site I frequent. More skeptics there than people that believe things could be real.

Which ones are most possible?

Bigfoot, Yeti, etc. - Plenty of such creatures (read the Sanderson book "Abominable Snowmen: Legend Come to Life", available in reprint now on Amazon, for some ideas on how many there are reported), and highly possible to have some unknown primates and/or monkeys about.

Sea and lake monsters - Lots of water we can't explore all of, and new discoveries all the time. Giant squid and octopi used to be the stuff of legends, yet are now known to be real. No reason more could not be out there. Add to this giant fish in freshwater lakes, and "sea" animals in fresh water. It is known now that sharks can be found FAR from the ocean, in freshwater lakes. If they can get there, why not other things, like octopi or squid? Some have reported them. Huge turtles have also been reported. One television show, a guy found an alligator snapping turtle that was many feet across. Then we have Gustav, a KNOWN enormous, monster-sized crocodile.

"Surviving" dinos, Ice Age beasts - This has been known to happen, and we do know they were alive once. So, possible some are still around (many in this category), that have not been verified.

Thunderbirds - I have personally seen, on the ground, a turkey vulture that had a wingspan of at least 15 feet. Far bigger than accepted size! Heard plenty of other reports of people seeing larger than accepted birds, too. In that case, I think the known size range is simply wrong.

Giant snakes - Same idea as with the birds.

Supposedly extinct more recent animals - treated as cryptids in many cases, and easily still around.

On the less likely ones, the idea with them is that there is some supernatural influence at work, not just an unknown animal. So, they can be discussed with cryptids by many, but they are in a sort of subset.

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 06:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by soontide
One thing that seems to pop up often where cryptids are concerned and one of the most common arguements for not investigating them is lack of viable habitat. I hear that argument applied all the time with arguements against bigfoot, the eastern mountain lion (and the UK cats as well) and almost any other criptid said to live in the "industrialized" world. The truth is that, by some estimates, 40 to 50 percent of north america is wilderness or undeveloped land. About 10% is federally or state protected wilderness with little or no road access. Many people will say tha that is mostly in Canada and Alaska but the truth is that there is still pristine wilderness areas in almost every state in the US. Ask any hunter and you will find that there are areas nearby that are accessable only by ATV or foot.

So, with about half the land area in north america seeing little or no human traffic for long periods of time, the idea that some unidentified animals living with little or no contact with humans is plausible. When you add in the fact that we know more about mars than we do about our own oceans, the room for unidentified animals is enormous. ...

Agreed! Tons of places all over east of the Mississippi that could be home to big cats like the cougar, and too many people SEE them to think they are still only west of the Mississippi and in Florida. Lots of areas in the southeast that a Bigfoot type could be as well.

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   
There are other angles when approaching cryptids such as werewolves or vampires.

For example, humans that have conditions causing full-body hair growth could be an angle for looking at the werewolf legend. Earlier times' misunderstandings about death processes could be an angle for discussing vampires, etc.

Just because a cryptid seems "silly" in regards to physics or science doesn't mean we can't still talk about them intelligently, and even from a scientific vantage point.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join