It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Favorite Philosophers?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 04:21 PM
link   
I'm surprised this sort of thread isn't on here. I wanted to start a thread where we could open up and share who our favorite philosophers are and why.

I really enjoy the works of Karl Popper for political philosophy because of his unique perspective on political issues and his examination of contemporary systems (though I need to read more of his work) and I enjoy Sartre's metaphysics thoroughly.

Anyone else like to share?

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Immanuel Kant would have to be the top philosopher on my list especially when it comes to Metaphysics.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Richard Feynman is my favorite philosopher. His unique way of looking at the world and his original creative thinking set him apart.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   
I'm a fool for existentialism and Albert Camus is my favourite thinker on the matter (followed closely perhaps by Derrida).

I really love Arthur Schopenhauer's theories on the freedom of will and his pessimist yet voluntaristic approach to life. He said that happiness in life is something completely unachievable, and consequently, to what we can aspire at most is to live a heroic life.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Am I the only one that finds it a bit weird that this thread hasn't gotten many replies in the 'Philosophy and Metaphysics' forum?

Also, on an odd note, metaphysics is a branch of philosophy, why does it get billing? Aesthetics is also a branch of philosophy, as is ontology. They aren't mentioned.

Anyway, I also wanted to say that I'm a fool for the works of Nietzsche. Not because I agree with them, I just enjoy his writing style and love how ridiculous some of his later works get.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Thread

*wink*

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 11:11 AM
link   
I don't really have a favorite per-say but if I had to pick three liked a lot it would be Friedrich Nietzsche *obviously* and Socrates and if you choose to call Gautama Buddha a philosopher, him as well

[edit on 6-9-2010 by Watcher-In-The-Shadows]

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Most likely someone who introduces political thought. I love government; as well economics and military. Sun Tzu, Karl Marx, Ayn Rand. Atheist philosophy is great as well! Don't forget Buddhism!

[edit on 6-9-2010 by Romantic_Rebel]

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 12:00 PM
link   
I love Joseph Campbell.

The hero story helps make historical philosophy relevant in the modern world.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by RadioKnecht

I really love Arthur Schopenhauer's theories on the freedom of will and his pessimist yet voluntaristic approach to life. He said that happiness in life is something completely unachievable, and consequently, to what we can aspire at most is to live a heroic life.

That really sounds very pessimistic.. and interesting. Could it be that the guy is actually looking for "happiness" in the wrong places? Maybe we should seek wisdom and understanding (and it's not the same thing as knowledge and information)?

Most euphoric joys are impermanent. And when we don't realize that, when they're gone, we get even more depressed. So i would say.. seek the ageless wisdom, it will stay with you until you die.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

Ah, that thread didn't come up when I checked to see if one had been started....though it does seem to start oddly, as if Edgar Cayce was a philosopher...

Please cut me slack, I've only been back here for less than a month after a multi-year sabbatical.

top topics

join