It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

That's Obviously CGI!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 03:00 PM
link   
In a recent thread about a supposed fairy caught on film it was obvious that the fairy was CGI. When you watch enough of the fake videos you learn to spot bits and pieces that prove it's CGI or you develop a "feel" for when something isn't quite right.

However what i found odd about that thread was the attitude of some people, it seems as if they believe CGI can never fool them. So i wanted to present two pieces of CGI which are simply stunning. If you watch both of these videos you may question your abilities to pick out the fakes and remember that CGI becomes more and more realisitic every day.

The first video is less impressive than the second. In this first video it depicts alien like plants and i think that gives it away, also some of the colours and lines but as i say, this is the less impressive of the two.

This second video is not only realistic but also hauntingly beautiful. It uses the score from the movie "Gattaca" which is one of my all time favorites. Even so, everything you see in this video is CGI, i have to say that because you might not believe it otherwise.

Same Video With Original Score

EDIT because i found a video i could embed for the second one.

[edit on 29-8-2010 by ImaginaryReality1984]

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Really nice videos! I can only guess at the computing power needed to produce something like that, my PC struggles with standard def film editing.

One thing that is always good when your trying to spot something that has been CGI'd is that things are often just too perfect, objects in nature tend to have lots of little imperfections, i.e. usually things won't be perfectly spherical or a perfect uniform color, but it is getting harder and harder to tell as the graphics get better and better.

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by davespanners
Really nice videos! I can only guess at the computing power needed to produce something like that, my PC struggles with standard def film editing.

One thing that is always good when your trying to spot something that has been CGI'd is that things are often just too perfect, objects in nature tend to have lots of little imperfections, i.e. usually things won't be perfectly spherical or a perfect uniform color, but it is getting harder and harder to tell as the graphics get better and better.

Absolutely, that is why the first video sort of falls down, it's just too perfect, well that and the alien like plants of course.

The second video however is just utterly stunning. the attention to detail is unparrelled, i haven't seen CGI as good as that video before. That is the video people need to watch before they comment because i'm sure some people will watch the first one and comment before seeing the second

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Wait, are you telling me that there is good CGI out there? Well, duh. There is plenty of good cgi out there. I haven't ever seen any of it used to hoax me though, I'm not easily fooled. It would be impossible to fool the UFO community on a wide scale anyway. You could easily fool some of the more ignorant, however those of us who have been around a while use much more than our eyes and ears to deduce if a video is worth even considering. Logic, reason and common sense beats CGI every time, hands down. Unfortunately, that is in such short supply within those interested in this subject, well....you get the point.

I keep telling people OVER and OVER that you don't need to know jack squat about CGI to pick out a fake. There are myriad things that go along with a solid sighting or reported video, and if those pieces are missing then you can immediately dismiss the video as rubbish.....without even passing a grade on the video content itself.

Take the Haiti video. That one was hilarious. There was no need to have pages and pages of people arguing the video content at all. Even someone with half a brain could take the LACK OF SURROUNDING INFORMATION and toss the video out straight away.

As long as people use their brains to go beyond what the stupid youtube video is trying to sell them we might be alright.

[edit on 29-8-2010 by IgnoreTheFacts]

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by IgnoreTheFacts

You might want to check the second video, someone with that level of skill could produce something incredible. I know it may not be news to you that good CGI is possible but it seems others need reminding as they are so quick to scream CGI as if CGI wouldn't possibly fool them.

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 03:27 PM
link   
wait till they are able to present the president in CGI...would it get so good that we wouldn't be able to tell the difference?? i'm afraid that day is coming, or it is here and they haven't used it yet.

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by ImaginaryReality1984

Well i have to say the second video was pretty amazing. An impressive piece of work indeed.

I wish that you had not pre-warned me that the video was CGI. I'd have been interested to see if i would have spotted that it is all computer generated or wether i would have thought it were real. That would have been a good test!

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimmyx
i'm afraid that day is coming, or it is here and they haven't used it yet.

Or it is here and they haven't told us yet...

@OP, I enjoyed both videos, the second one is stunning. S&F !

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Second video is mind blowing. I can't believe the level of detail put into that work. It would be so easy to do most of that on digital film, and CGI part of it. The fact that it was all done on computer is amazing. I cannot even imagine the amount of hours that were put into developing that.

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   
The biggest giveaway, to me, is improper acceleration curves for motion or missing micromovement, like small induced oscillations.

The first video it's a dead giveaway; motion consists of primary movements but not secondary induced motions. Imperfections in imagery are irrelevant against that.

The second, it falls flat on it's face with the human figure. It stay convincing more of the time because it is mostly static objects.

GCI bad animation = move really fast to a postion near a reversal or stop, then aburptly decelerate and move slowly to the final position. The power curve is too steep.

Another mistake is often overemphasizing subtle movements, where in order to get the effect of realism, it becomes a charicature of the motion it is meant to portray.

In short: The least developed aspect of CGI is physically-correct movement. Even motion capture can end up looking fake, either by precision errors or post-filtering of the original subtleties.

[edit on 8/29/2010 by EnlightenUp]

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   

You might want to check the second video, someone with that level of skill could produce something incredible

Seen it, well before it was posted here (I am a cgi enthusiast).

But again, I don't care what the video content is. If someone tries to pull on over on the masses of something huge, CGI would not stand a chance to fool anyone. To con that many people would require all the hundreds of supporting details that would be necessary to sell an amazing CGI video to anyone with a brain.

CGI doesn't scare me, but the ever increasing lack of common sense, reason and logic concerning their weight does.

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   

I understand what you are saying but you don't accept it would be possible for someone with great skill to craete a video which is incredibly realistic? That is sort of the problem i'm talking about, people are so sure they can spot CGI but the technology is increasing and within maybe a decade it'll be more than possible to create something which is hard to discredit.

This is a problem for the UFO community as it will just provide another line for people to be separated with.

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by ImaginaryReality1984
In a recent thread about a supposed fairy caught on film it was obvious that the fairy was CGI. When you watch enough of the fake videos you learn to spot bits and pieces that prove it's CGI or you develop a "feel" for when something isn't quite right.

How eloquently put!

I was one of the posters on the fairy caught on film and I have to say thank you for this thread.

I honestly was so put off by the down right rude comments by posters that claim to know so much... ummm I don't know them from a hole in the ground.... they gave no useful information what so ever they just wanted to put some of us down because we considered the film to be real.

This on the other hand really put things into perspective for me. I appreciate the effort in posting the films... very... very eye opening for me to see how easy it is to make videos look real!

Again... thank you!

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 05:38 PM
link   

I kept waiting for something "weird and cgi" to happen. nothing did.

thats when I realized that the entire clip is cgi.

that is as amazing as it is scary.

Makes we think of the scene in Fahrenheit 451 where they show Montag running away and then have him executed. They could work up anything on anyone with this stuff.

Nice post. sandf.

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 06:55 PM
link   

You have got to be kidding, right? Otherwise....

[edit on 29-8-2010 by Aliensun]

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 07:03 PM
link   
I've seen the second video before, it's mostly by just one guy if I recall.
He has threads on cgsociety etc

Anyway I don't think that can compare to the fairy video thou, the fairy one was rather laughable, that's why people seemed to have some attitude, it wasn't just the cg, but the way it was all made that screamed fake

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by _Phoenix_
I've seen the second video before, it's mostly by just one guy if I recall.
He has threads on cgsociety etc

Anyway I don't think that can compare to the fairy video thou, the fairy one was rather laughable, that's why people seemed to have some attitude, it wasn't just the cg, but the way it was all made that screamed fake

Oh absolutely don't get me wrong the fairy video was a joke. However some people seem to have this attitude that they can always detect CGI and i'm just pointing out that if someone tried hard they could make something very convincing. This is actually an increasing problem for the Ufology community.

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by ImaginaryReality1984

You might want to check the second video, someone with that level of skill could produce something incredible. I know it may not be news to you that good CGI is possible but it seems others need reminding as they are so quick to scream CGI as if CGI wouldn't possibly fool them.

I am a graphic designer and I can spot CGI or Photoshop miles away. The first video was obvious, but the second one... The second video was amazing, I am still struggling with the close ups of the camera in the second video, either they planted that in the CGI or they built if from scratch, if they create it from scratch, my hat is off to them.

The Team that created the 2nd video could create an amazing hoax, although thats what would be needed, no single person created the 2nd video, there had to of been a team.

On the other hand 1 person could have created the entire thing if they had the time to do so, the requirement of the team would only be needed to produce the videos quickly. The person or team who created the 2nd video is probably making around 750$ an hour for their work, I would much rather make that money then sit around and try to hoax people for nothing more then getting a laugh out of it.

The detail in the 2nd video is amazing, but the CGI give away is what is occurred in the video. (Id like to point out that the man near the end underneath the giant water droplets was obvious CGI, to me atleast)

shrug

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 07:33 PM
link   
The second video is entirely created by one person (from what I read on other sites) it took him a whole year to produce.

In this video you can see parts of the construction of the camera etc, the wire frame 3dmax objects and then the application of tha matts and lighting effects

note there are a few non cgi elements like the sky the flying birds but 99.99999% is completely modeled from scratch

[edit on 29-8-2010 by davespanners]

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Yo dawg I herd u like obvious CGI so I put a obvious CGI in ur obvious CGI so u can make obvious CGI while u make obvious CGI.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join