It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: SpaceShipOne Makes It To Space !!!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 08:36 AM
link   
At 11:08 AM Mike Melvill and his SpaceShipOne made it into space becoming the first ever private spaceman.The spacecraft is now gliding into land at Mojave Airport.

History could change today when the first privately-built spacecraft carries a human into space beginning around 9:30 a.m ET. MSNBC.com is offering a live video-webcast of the event. Radio station KLOA 104.9 plans a live audio webcast of the flight that will begin with traffic and weather reports at 8 a.m. ET (5 a.m. local time). Radio-only broadcasts are planned by local stations KGET 970 and KGOV.
Click here for the latest updates
BREAKING NEWS: SpaceShipOne is Airborne

Flight plan

Scaled Composite officials expect a smooth flight, but anyone who follows the space industry knows that every flight has inherent risks.

In fact SpaceShipOne had a landing mishap during a test flight in September. There were no injuries and the craft was not significantly damaged when it slid off the runway.

Weather permitting, the craft will be carried aloft aboard the White Knight, a somewhat conventional airplane built specially for this purpose. An hour after taking off from the Mojave Airport, at about 50,000 feet, the White Knight will release SpaceShipOne, whose pilot will fire a rocket, powered by rubber and laughing gas, for about 80 seconds.

SpaceShipOne should soar to 62 miles (100 kilometers), crossing the threshold of space on a suborbital trajectory. The pilot, who has not yet been named, would officially become an astronaut.

According to plan, the craft will spend about three minutes in weightlessness, then glide back to Earth. It will land about 1 hour and 25 minutes after the initial takeoff in the same location.

The launch is planned for early morning because winds tend to pick up later in the day. Weather could scrub the launch, possibly pushing it back a day or more.

Related discussion on the AboveTopSecret.com Forum
GET READY!:Spaceshipone to fly into space monday/reminder

Related News Stories
- SCI/TECH: SpaceShipOne almost in space
- X Prize Competition Gets New Sponsor, huge boost to future space travel and tourism
- Private Spaceship Completes Second Rocket-Powered Test Flight
- US FAA grants licence to Scaled Composites for SpaceShipOne rocket-plane

SpaceShipOne program

SpaceShipOne + White Knight launch plane:

[edit on 22-6-2004 by John bull 1]

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 08:57 AM
link   
This is cool!! Live coverage of White Knight as it carries SpaceShip One into launch position. We have about an hour to go. I'm excited to be witness to this right now.

Being a Star Trek fan, I must say that this reminds me of the movie 'First Contact' only without a Warp Drive, but with a much cooler looking craft. Whether or not it will result in a similar 'First Contact' will be answered in a little over an hour from now. I hope this will be one of those times where True Reality surpasses Fiction!!

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Just watched the launch from live feed from a friend over there...WOW

yeah kinda minds me of First Contact lol

btw....who is the test pilot?

they were mentioning names from the X15 trials but i didnt catch on?

keep us notified

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 09:26 AM
link   
The test pilot Mike Melvill

Damn I can't get MSNBC or NASA TV live streaming video to work

whats the latest

[edit on 21-6-2004 by Popeye]

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Here is the article with the latest updates:
www.space.com...

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 10:03 AM
link   
just confirmed that SpaceShipOne has achieved over 100km in altitude

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 10:08 AM
link   
BBC News Alerts - Privately financed craft reaches space for first time. More soon.

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 10:11 AM
link   
SpaceShipOne has landed safely

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Breaks in to a little *hip hip hoorah*

But to be honest i would like to see this happen 3 or 4 times before i
felt completely happy about going on this,

Amazing though!

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Pilot Mike Melvill just earned his astronaut wings....Coooooool

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Heres a nice pic of SpaceShipOne in flight

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 10:43 AM
link   
whoha yeah baby this is great news I did see it on msnbc and bbc live web feed.. pressconference in 1 hour...

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 10:54 AM
link   
This must be the sexiest spacecraft around and what about that mothership WOW. makes me think how it can fly.

Just seen the launch etc i give all credit to them all

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 11:24 AM
link   
its an ugly aircraft and how much can that thing carry besides the pilot?

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 11:28 AM
link   
looks like someone just made 10 million bucks, hehe....

[edit on 21-6-2004 by Gazrok]

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 11:29 AM
link   
I wonder who has the toy rights on the spaceships in the X-race? I can see these things on kids floors and geeks desks everywhere! My prediction for THE toy of christmas 04

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 11:35 AM
link   
My money would be on Testor for the models...

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 11:37 AM
link   
The first privately financed manned craft to enter space, SpaceShipOne, has returned to earth in California after completing its historic flight.

Way to go!
Oz link...
www.abc.net.au...
Does anyone have a mpeg or wmv of the launch?
Sanc'.

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 11:39 AM
link   
I baleve it would be three
The firm is one of 24 companies from several countries competing for the $10 million X Prize, which will go to the first privately funded group to send three people on a 62.5-mile-high suborbital flight and repeat the feat within two weeks using the same vehicle

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 11:55 AM
link   
This is an awesome step forward in the private sector, sure hope it leads to an end on the governments monopoly on space travel

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join