It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

High summer temps = massive electric bills. How do you cope?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   
My A/C unit doesn't use up that much electricity, so my bills stay between 80.00-100.00 a month. I get hit harder in the winter though. I had a bill last year that was 300.00 because of my heater. It blew my mind!

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   
The African's Mud Huts have thick walls using the same adiabatic Thermodynamic principles that we incorporate into modern structures today which prevent heat transfer into the living space via convection.

They might appear to be primitive, but they do stay cool with the thick walls and a thick thatched roof which is employing the same principles of insulation that we manufacture today out of fibers spun from fiberglass.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 01:48 PM
link   
If you want to know how much an individual appliance uses, or a set of appliances, get one of those Kill-A-Watt meters they sell everywhere.

I would just use it to get a general idea.
Don’t rely on them being NIST quality though.
Odd current waveforms and bad power factors can get them confused easily.
And they can’t handle current/voltage surges very well, so don’t use them on any high starting current equipment, or anything that creates spikes like a welder.

If you want something that can take anything you want to throw at it, get an old utility meter.
Mount a meter base on a wood pedestal, and put a few plugs on the back, with a heavy pigtail cord to plug in into the nearest outlet.

If you can’t find any locally, then go to hialeah meter.
www.hialeahmeter.com

They sell remanufactured I70 meters for $15.50 for the pointer and $17.50 for the ez read.

They are magnetic bearing so they will be a lifetime investment.
They won’t wear out as long as you are alive.

You will be able to hook computers, and or air conditioners, and or heaters to it, and know exactly what they are using over the month.
Just keep a record of the reading from month to month and you can make a chart of the cooling/heating/computer/refrigeration/ or what ever load you want.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 02:00 PM
link   
stick head under faucet coupler times a day, take bath or shower.

Some of my curtains are light and I have old crank windows, when we have a heat wave I put blankets over the curtains to keep as much heat out as possibel

simple a squirt bottle of water, I have also used those blue blocks that stay frozen for many hours, I put a paper towel on and put in in the bed(the opposite of a hot water bottle in the winter)

yuo can also put the blue block on the floor and set your feet on it from time to time

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Onboard2

A warm shower would be better. If the water temp is warmer than the air, which is going to feel cooler when you get out of the shower?

Right!
And hot, VERY hot, even better.
I know I've already said this, but it bears repeating since so few people seem to know this.

Very hot showers are the best in hot weather, invigorating and so refreshing.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 03:03 PM
link   
I used to live in a house that was a nice place, but it was poorly insulated. Since our summer temps are easily over 100 for the majority of a 4-5 month period, this can be brutal on my wallet. My electric bill during summer months was around $600-$700 a month (regular sized 3 BR, 2 Bath, 1 small living area, kitchen).

A couple of years ago I posted a thread on a refinery that blew up near my house. It was about 1/4 mile away, and because of the damage done to my house I had to move.

The new house I live in is far, far better. Not only did the refinery explosion not damage it, but my electric bill is far improved. I went on the "average billing" payment plan, and am paying right at $250 a month.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join