It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man fires pepper spray on protesters outside Marine's funeral

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Man fires pepper spray on protesters outside Marine's funeral

www.cnn.com

STORY HIGHLIGHTS
NEW: Church member says police didn't control counter-protesters
A motorist fires pepper spray on a crowd outside a funeral for a Marine
Protesters from Westboro Baptist Church were in Omaha, Nebraska
An Omaha resident faces felony and misdemeanor assault charges

RELATED TOPICS
Fred Phelps
Nebraska
Protests and Demonstrations
(CNN) -- A motorist fired pepper spray Saturday at a group of demonstrators and counter-protesters outside a funeral for a U.S. Marine in Omaha, Nebraska, police said.
A man in a Ford-150 pickup truck drove by, extended his arm and sprayed with a large can, police said. His vehicle was stopped a few minutes later.
The incident occurred shortly before 10 a.m. (11 a.m. ET)
(visit the link for the full news article)

link cnn.com

[edit on 29-8-2010 by dntwastetime]

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Opinion follows,
Wow , I can't believe this ! I looked around to see if it was posted and I did not see it posted. I am amazed at what people will do these days.
I am glad from what I can tell no kids were hurt. I see the pros and cons from each side because of what this church stands for. I am not all for wars but I think that the dying soldiers deserve some more dignity. I agree that revenge is asked for. I really think this was a very bad idea to spray this crowd.
Hopefully everyone fully recovers from this incident and hopefully the "church members" think twice about making noise where there should be silence and respect.
Very bad situation all the way around.

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 29-8-2010 by dntwastetime]

+3 more 
posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by dntwastetime

so it was a private funeral and as usual
the westbro imbred family were there to mock the family

someone shake the hand of this man

shame it wasnt a Gun (as harsh as it sounds)

(yes i read the article and he sparyed the wrong person)

[edit on 29-8-2010 by illusive man]

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Typical MSM style article with all relevant detail missing.

What exactly is one's belief that leads them to a funeral to protest? How many other funerals were that day? What of those families and their right to return their loved one to the earth.

Protest is a fashion statement these days. Our troops follow orders, bad or otherwise.

There is nothing that can justify a protest at a funeral. Those people should have been arrested for disturbing the peace.

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 11:44 AM
link   
This is why I hate religion. It destroys people's rationality and common sense and distorts right and wrong.

War is wrong and sick. But at least let the people who die needlessly have some dignity, they leave behind loved ones. Theres no need to do these protests, I bet they would hate it if the situation was reversed and someone caused loads of # at their funeral. Do to them what they have done. Maybe then they might understand.

However the bloke spraying them did unfortunately go too far. Yes he was probably doing the American people a favour by taking on this scum, but violence isnt the way to get things done.

Lets hope these people wake up and realise what they are doing before its too late.

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 11:50 AM
link   
These Church pukes deserve everything they get and I hope that the experience was painful, as I'm sure it was. Don't get me wrong, the Constitution does protect their right to free speech, though only from the government itself impeding their speech. In a way, this church is impeding other people's right to assemble, which is also protected by the 1st Amendment.

--airspoon

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 11:57 AM
link   
The guy was an idiot. He deserves to be arrested and charged.

As much as I despise what brother Fred and clan are doing, it is their very right until the court starts restricting freedom of speech. When that happens, America as we know it, will be forever changed and it will be a time to seriously question whether the Tree of Liberty needs to be watered.

Until then, as much as you despise or hate the words of opposing views, you must defend their very right to express those views.

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 11:58 AM
link   
I don't care if they had the right to do this.
They deserved this.

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Are these guys still operating?

Somehow I thought they would of been shut up by now, either officially (somehow - free speech and all that, I know it's complex), or unofficially by, well lets face it, trained killers who are burying their buddies.

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Phelps and gang...

someone hasn't shot at them yet? hmm...

Well, I don't believe this to be a good response...attacking the monsters just makes you become a monster yourself...let the apes protest.

The best response is to counter with love and honor...let the younger ones in the crowd see there is a different route.

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 12:03 PM
link   
It's moments like this which make me wish we had the technology to find a way to add an ingredient to pepper spray that made it hurt stupid people even more than it hurts the rest of us.

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by hinky

The Constitution doesn't give them the right to free speech, per se. Rather, the 1st Amendment protects their right from government infringement. The Constitution isn't about what they can do, so much as it says what government can't do.

If you want to get into violating rights, this puke church is impeding these peoples' right to assemble. They are applying force first and this man was simply responding to that force.

--airspoon

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 12:14 PM
link   
I wonder how the Phelps clan would feel if protesters in droves showed up at one of their family member's funerals?

I'll bet there is some group out there waiting for one of that clan to drop dead so they can express their own freedom of speech.

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 12:14 PM
link   
I very much like the idea of the Westboro Baptist Church. I believe that they are the true symbol of what liberty means in this country. Freedom of religion, freedom of speech and freedom of assembly at the most extreme.

While I do not think favorably of their religious group nor their ideologies or message I will say that I have never heard of one instance of this group attempting to inflict physical injury or harm upon another human. They are simply following the Bible at a more fundamental reading and interpretation.

I give them credit for standing up for their rights and their beliefs, no matter how much the rest of us disagree with what they say.

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by dntwastetime

You antagonize grieving people long enough, eventually they are going to snap.

Quite frankly, I can't believe no one has shot his ignorant ass yet.

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   
I honestly can't lie. IM glad they got pepper sprayed. It's just too bad it couldn't have been laced with a little holy water and burned those Westbro sons of you-know-whats back into the pits of Hell

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Priceless... I think for their next protest we should all chip together and rent this truck.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3d52b924d3eb.jpg[/atsimg]

4000 gallons of sewer waste at about 500 PSI should spray about 100 feet or more.

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by mythatsabigprobe

I would pay to see that happen.

And then i'd run away as fast as I can before I get volunteered to clean it up.

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by idonotcollectstamps

so you agree with the message of HATE those people spread? have you EVER been to their website? They're a bunch of suehappy lawyers that live under the banner of a church to spread their message of filth. I dont wish evil on people, but I do hope one day they get EXACTLY what they deserve

this is a quote from the article and tell me you agree with this:
Members have traveled the country, shouting at grieving family members at funerals and displaying such signs as "Thank God for Dead Soldiers," "God Blew Up the Troops" and "AIDS Cures Fags."

[edit on 29/8/10 by HomerinNC]

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

Thank-you for posting this video.
Star for you and...

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join