It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's your Failsafe?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 07:33 AM
link   
We possess firearms that rival and in most cases exceed the military, trained far more and more passionatly than any soldier, our credos differ but are not far from each other. Freedom. The Right to bear arms. The ability to do so.

But What holds us in check?

What is our failsafe?

Guns don't kill people... People do. A rifle left on a table has never, in my experiance, killed anything.

I, as most of you, have had to stomach others, telling us how insane we must be... Why do we need these weapons? Who are we protecting ourself from? We are creating these threats. All the common things that the general populous cannot help but mention when they see, hear or are told of our own personal arsenals. Those who understand, possess at least one firearm. Those who cannot only see the news and the violence therein.

But there is one thing that gnaws at my stomach, an undying question. What is our failsafe? What stops someone like ourselves from becoming enraged enough to go to the safe and pull out one of our defense weapons in anger? Have we mastered the human mind so well that we are exempt from emotions of pain and rage? That we can never feel a feeling that will allow us to make an ill decision that harms or hurts others?

We are not mindless thugs or ill trained gang bangers... We have a passion and a skill that some people marvel at... So tell me fellow enthusiast... What is our failsafe?

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 07:36 AM
link   
My failsafe for not using my firearms without reason is my sense of morality, my respect for human life, order, and the rule of law.

Living with a credo of respect and reciprocity will always stay an itchy trigger finger.

But maybe that's just me.

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 07:43 AM
link   
My failsafe is logic; I know that If I have to defend myself with deadly force then my life had better be in certain clear danger otherwise I risk losing it to a weasel of a lawyer and a joke of a legal system. Therefore unless its obvious that I'm about to be dealt serious bodily injury I have no business aiming a weapon at another human being and putting my finger on the trigger.

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 07:54 AM
link   
These are both great responses, but what holds us to our convictions? Certainly, following the rule of law, respect for life, and the punishment for force used will keep us in bounds in our normal frame of mind. But everyone gets upset. Do we condition our minds to handle this as often or as well as we polish up our use of our weapons?

Rationality can only carry us so far. What stops us from falling over the edge? Falling to the darkside? BGeing grasped by the need for vengance or revenge?

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 08:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Helig

This is a great point and more than likely one that most cling to. But crooks and thieves are not afraid of this...

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Simple, I don't want to waste any ammo.

When there is no alternative and the threat is imminent that is when I would have to use them.

Life is too precious to waste my life or anyone else's while peaceful means of resolution are still left to try.

The rules of firearm safety were drilled into me since I was very, very young.
I would disappoint my father horribly by ever breaking them. If the need arose and I failed to defend my family he would also not be happy.

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 08:20 AM
link   
OP, are you or have you at any time been in the military?

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 08:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

Bravo! Absolutly wonderful! That unwavering thing will keep you from doing something rash. A wonderful contribution. Thank you!

As far as wasting ammo... I also agree...

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 09:03 AM
link   
The constitution and the Bill of Rights!I have the ability and the training to
use force. The five S's, Shout, Show, Shove, Shoot! One must always
respect human life, even your enemies, lest you become the monster your
after.

Peace

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Soshh
OP, are you or have you at any time been in the military?

Absolutly.

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by TheApachekid

That is kind of it though, what stops us from being those monsters. If something drastic happened, will morals alone stop us from sinking that low?

It's easy to say our morals will stop us, but what if someone raped your daughter? Assaulted your wife? Will you have the same value for life, liberty and happieness?

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jkd Up

That is kind of it though, what stops us from being those monsters. If something drastic happened, will morals alone stop us from sinking that low?

It's easy to say our morals will stop us, but what if someone raped your daughter? Assaulted your wife? Will you have the same value for life, liberty and happieness?

Given those specific situations I would rely upon self-discipline to allow me to take the time to decide a course of action. In extremes, such as the examples you have used here, I might well opt to disregard my more noble side and seek retribution.

But I still wouldn't allow myself to be reactive and emotional about it. Rationality would still be involved, even if I were to respond with violence. It would be controlled, deliberate, and methodical retaliation.

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jkd Up

When someone crosses the line of doing violence on me or anyone
else, especially some kind of predator, they are done in my books.

I have seen these pieces of filth go thru years of appeals and
in the state I live in we have what is called a castle law.

You force your way into a home in this state and the resident has
the right to lay you out for burial.

Have heard several news stories here of drunks trying to force
their way into what they thought was their home to have their
heads blown off by a 12 gauge.

Old lady did that up in Tulsa several months ago.

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 09:46 AM
link   
I agree with you both, especially the feeling of "if they deserve it..." But that is not how we should be. Just because we have the ability for vengence doesn't give us the ability to dish it out.

I see these same people as vermin and filth. They are nothing to me, however, that does not give us the ability to be judge and jury.

I wish the castle law was in effect here... But it is not. I believe in defense, but thereis no retrobution in defense. Only that if one does to me, I can retaliate at that time... Not three weeks later when I see them in a bar.

Hefficide: That is a great and honest answer! Thank you!

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Jkd Up

You have forgotten so many different types of people in your diatribe.

For example, those who don't need guns. If you don't own anything, and don't believe anything, then why do you need guns?

Perhaps because you like to collect them? Perhaps because you have something everyone else will want? Perhaps because you are full of fear and this is the only way you can have any sense of self confidence?

Personally, my failsafe is my ability to work any situation into my favor. I don't resist anyone, because that which we resist, persists.

I'm far from a christian, but this phrase aptly describes my philosophy on the matter:

But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.

The only people who have an issue with that philosophy are those who hunger for power, authority, or a sense of pride.

But those of us who already have power, authority and a sense of pride without need of anything the world has to offer have no need of protection, for if we were to die tomorrow, we would die happy.

That's not to say there is any issue with building an arsenal... but those who live by the sword shall die by the sword.

[edit on 29-8-2010 by HunkaHunka]

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

Thank you! A great point. But does one who have a pistol from the 1800s someone who is going to use it or train with it? What kind of makes me wonder (to myself as well, I am not exempting myself from this) is if we train as hard as we do, what stops us from doing something stupid because we allow our emotions or stress to get the better of us?

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   
I’ve never understood the reason why Americans wanted to keep guns for self defence.

However, I can understand the need for some people to have them if they live far enough from the nearest police station that a 911 call wouldn't be of much use. For those are less able to handle themselves in a fight, I suppose a gun does even things up.
The problem is, the people that you are protecting yourself from, also know you will probably have a gun, so they will take one too if they had any sense.

I can only speak from personal experience of living in a relatively gun free society, I have never felt the urge to need one and I live in a rough area of town.

I'd be more worried about my neighbours having guns in their houses. Most murders are committed by someone known to the victim. Also, you can protect yourself from a knife attack as they have to get within reach of you, however with a gun they can kill from a distance.

Realistically, would you have your gun at hand when that situation quickly arose out of the blue?

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Tykonos

Kinda like a condom in a wallet.... It's better to have it and not need it....

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 10:53 AM
link   
My failsafe is the 3 strike rule. I will warn you twice and the third time all bets are off, and I dont give a rats arse who you are, civilian, police. When the time comes to defend my family and property, I can and will use the same amount of force on my enemies.

The way I see it........eye for an eye.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 11:09 AM
link   
I will also have my camera recording everything I say and do, so if it happens that I am in the wrong I will gladly admit it, then everyone will have proof of all actions and statements. We all are human.......as far as I know lol.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join