It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Conciousness exist not from Soup but the Love of God

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 03:37 AM
link   
You started a marine biology thread without tellin' me?? Harumph!!

Anyways, regeneration is cool, but I think zero (or even negative!) senescence is cooler, and it's sorta related... I think MMN might know what that means - for anyone who doesn't.. look it up.

Note that my videos are not as freaky as MMN's - it's just footage of two types of marine life that have a very interesting attribute...

Edit: swapped first video as it appeared to be stolen - the new link appears to be the original source.

[edit on 8-9-2010 by CHRLZ]

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 05:42 PM
link   
The first time I watched this video, I thought you were playing a joke, MMN, because that "thing" being chopped up closely resembles a part of the male anatomy. But, after realizing I was the only one who's mind was in the gutter, I thought it was a pretty fascinating find (with the added entertainment value derived from it's resemblance to that certain body part.)

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by CHRLZ

CHRLZ.....

senescence is cooler

Now there's a massive topic.....!

Thank you for the videos & I should have thought of you when I posted this!

Cheers mate
Maybe...maybe not

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by NightGypsy

NightGypsy…..

The first time I watched this video

Yes…….

I thought you were playing a joke, MMN

Yes…..go on…..

because that "thing" being chopped up closely resembles a part of the male anatomy.

Ummm…….

WHAT?????????????

I’m traumatized…..

I can’t go on…..

Please, please, please take that image out of my mind…..

edit on 11-9-2010 by Maybe...maybe not because: Spelling

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maybe...maybe not
reply to post by CHRLZ

CHRLZ.....

senescence is cooler

Now there's a massive topic.....!

Oh really??

While I was 'marine sciencing', there were two things that absolutely intrigued me - the ageless (and reverse aging!) creatures, and also, brine shrimp. Ironically I became an expert on neither. Too much other stuff to deal with...

Yeah, brine shrimp - 'sea monkeys'! (And sadly I'm old enough to remember them being advertised in comics, along with xray glasses...) Even then, as a kid, I was a bit skeptical, so I disbelieved BOTH of them. Then in later life I found out that the seamonkey thing was.. sorta real! Indeed, I used to look after a stock of brine shrimp eggs - we would hatch big batches of them on a rotating basis, to feed the seahorses we often had - they LOVE brine shrimp..

Anyway, I gather that the record for brine shrimp egg longevity is some thousands of years, although there is some dispute on this..... They can certainly sit dormant for many decades - yet toss them in water and three days later you have thousands of tiny shrimp.

With regard to the hydra, they are moderately primitive animals, so perhaps their lack of aging is not that big a deal.. but a brine shrimp is actually quite a sophisticated little creature, if tiny... It really gets me that an egg of such a creature can lie completely dormant for a huge length of time..

Wouldn't it be great to see the wonders of an *alien* ecology/food chain...

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 08:58 AM
link   
reply to post by CHRLZ

Aren't jellyfish are capable of immortality ?
As long as they do not wash a shore or get eaten that is.

reply to post by Maybe...Maybe Not

Cool thread. Although the title is misleading. I was preparing to troll this one to death. As I thought this was the wrong forum.

I do agree tho.

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 09:28 AM
link   
i remember seeing this
its incredible .. imagine if humans could do the same ahahaha

MMN i laughed hard on your new avatar ahahahahah

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   
It was a dark and stormy night, and Sinter Klaas waxed lyrical:

Aren't jellyfish are capable of immortality ?
As long as they do not wash a shore or get eaten that is.

Yup. But only some appear to have that ability (also some anemones I believe). That's what zero/negative senescence means - senescence=aging.

edit on 12-9-2010 by CHRLZ because: the "a" keeps jamming on my remington...

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by CHRLZ

Thank you. I didn't know.

Normally I'll look it up. ( meaning of a word ) Honestly I forgot

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 05:31 PM
link   
It was a dark and stormy night, and Sinter Klaas said:

Normally I'll look it up. ( meaning of a word ) Honestly I forgot

That's ok - I was only using that word to be a smartazz and sound like I knew what i was talking about.

I believe some tunicates also have attributes of regeneration and extreme longevity, but I may be confusing my species. It's been a long time since I was hangin' out with marine biologists..

But suffice to say that research in many areas like this is very much in its infancy - it's surprising how little we know about many of our fellow earthly (but wet) denizens, so I'm sure many surprises and new developments await..

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by CHRLZ

I understand. I try to be a smartazz where I can.
I agree we don't know much. I blame arrogance. As it caused us to think we do not need to know.
We are the crown on creation you know.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join