It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Atheist PR Thread

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 04:15 AM
link   
I thought I'd open up a thread to help create a better understanding between theists and non-theists on here. This is simply a Q&A thread, if you have a question for atheists or some possible misunderstanding you need cleared up, ask away. I or another atheist will do our best to answer the questions posed.

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 04:39 AM
link   
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

Do you really sacrifice babies?

Do you really all have secret meetings in laboratories?

Do you all worship Richard Dawkins?

Don't you mind living a meaningless existence where there is no God?

Don't you mind being no better that a dog or a pig?

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 07:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup

Do you really sacrifice babies?

Nope, never seen that done by anyone outside of a religion

Do you really all have secret meetings in laboratories?

Never been invited to one. I doubt a laboratory would be the best place for one

Do you all worship Richard Dawkins?

He's ok, disagree with his politics a bit but I admire his scientific achievements.

Don't you mind living a meaningless existence where there is no God?

Not really. It's the only existence I have, might as well make the most of it.

Don't you mind being no better that a dog or a pig?

I don't believe atheists have ever said we are no better than dogs or pigs. We have reason beyond their means and certain other physical advantages like bipedal movement and long distance travel.

[edit on 8/29/10 by madnessinmysoul]

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Thanks a lot for your answers, I found them really interesting and as an Atheist myself, feel a little bad for my sarcastic reply.
Although I wasn't really mocking you, more some of the people who have made comments to me like the ones I asked you.

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Hey I'm an Atheist! Can I help answer questions with you?

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

Of course, the whole point on here is to make this a community effort. That way I don't look like a jerk trying to speak for all the atheists and the theists can get various answers on issues that are a lot more personal.

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Hey! An Atheist thread actually started by an Atheist.

Now that is rare.

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Not to be rude, but isnt atheists taking the 'less smart' choice than a person who believes in God??
As I understand it, an atheist says that the universe/life is, in a nutshell, based on random events, and this is where we are today.
Now apart from the question of the very very start of universe, which atheism/science has not explained yet, if I were to go along with this, than what is the probability based on those random events that Humans happened to be? I read somewhere that for that to occur through pure randomeness, the odds are so low they tend towards zero, and your chances of winning the lotto everyday for your entire life are greater (or something along those lines).

Even science has admitted the idea of intelligent design now. So my question is, if the odds are so low as to not there being an intelligent component involved, are you not taking the 'less smart' choice as an atheist?
thanks

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 06:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by mohammed_nz
Not to be rude, but isnt atheists taking the 'less smart' choice than a person who believes in God??
As I understand it, an atheist says that the universe/life is, in a nutshell, based on random events, and this is where we are today.

Not entirely random. Evolution is not a random process, it favors the most fit to survive creatures in an environment.

Now apart from the question of the very very start of universe, which atheism/science has not explained yet,

Atheism seeks to explain nothing. Atheism is the answer to a single question of belief in a deity, it is not a belief structure.

And as for the very very start of the universe, we're working on it. The problem is that applying scientific rigor to such questions takes time, but it's by far the best possible way to answer such questions.

if I were to go along with this, than what is the probability based on those random events that Humans happened to be?

Not this non-argument again. Probability is not an argument here, and I'll dissect why in a second.

I read somewhere that for that to occur through pure randomeness, the odds are so low they tend towards zero, and your chances of winning the lotto everyday for your entire life are greater (or something along those lines).

Ok, let's take something else as an example. How about cards. The probability of getting any hand in a game of five card stud poker is 1/311,875,200 if the cards are all dealt solely to you. Let's say it's a game with three people. The probability that any opening hand will come up is 1/5.8601876 × 10^24 So the probability is insanely small. Still happens. Take into account that most poker games involve five people, the probability becomes 1/7.40739665 × 10^39. That probability is incredibly close to zero as well. And that's without changing cards, but let's not overly complicate things. Now, in a night people can play a few dozen hands, let's go with 24. That means the probability of any game happening is above 1/7.4468810903382867408384009600556 x 10^956. Those games still happen, but the probability is insanely low. Considering the fact that there are about 14 billion years involved and the universe is about that many light years across...ample opportunity for an insanely unlikely thing to happen.

Even science has admitted the idea of intelligent design now.

No, it hasn't. Maybe individuals who refer to themselves as 'scientists' accept the idea, but science has a consensus against 'intelligent design'

So my question is, if the odds are so low as to not there being an intelligent component involved, are you not taking the 'less smart' choice as an atheist?
thanks

Now here's the interesting thing, you throw out the question of things happening by random chance and what that probability is...but there's no way to gauge the probability of a deity being involved because there's absolutely nothing to go on. Aside from the fact that you're trying to explain a complex system by positing something that is infinitely more complex than that system, which just doesn't make sense, you're not making any particular argument.

To be short, I think I'm making the smart choice.

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 08:13 AM
link   
The common misconception I have encountered about Atheists on the boards is that somehow we are all the same in very manner . In reality the thing Atheists have in common is that they take a logical approach to the question of the existence of one or more higher powers . Sure I may encounter an Atheist who shares some of my interests but it is hardly assured .

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 03:12 AM
link   
Another complexity---one can define themselves as an atheist if they do not believe in any God/higher power, however it is defined. Yet, another person can believe in a higher power as a force, the "ground of all being" (to quote Paul Tillich and John Shelby Spong), etc., and still be considered "atheist" because the "god" they believe in cannot be defined in theistic terms (e.g. a personification sitting on a throne in heaven from whom we have obtained our likeness).

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 04:58 AM
link   
Here's one. I have been thinking as an atheist that maybe we should be doing more to combat the rise of religion in our societies, Just look at Glen Becks Restoring Honor protest or whatever you want to call it. Do we have a duty to try and promote more secular views on society?

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by mohammed_nz

I don't see why either is more or less smart. Belief really doesn't have a lot to do with intelligence.

That is a misunderstanding. Atheists don't believe in God. That's it. Any other beliefs about how we came to be are not included under the umbrella of atheism.

So my question is, if the odds are so low as to not there being an intelligent component involved, are you not taking the 'less smart' choice as an atheist?

I happen to believe there is "intelligence" involved in the creation of the universe. That doesn't mean that that intelligent component is "God".

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
Here's one. I have been thinking as an atheist that maybe we should be doing more to combat the rise of religion in our societies, Just look at Glen Becks Restoring Honor protest or whatever you want to call it. Do we have a duty to try and promote more secular views on society?

Here's a perfect example of atheists feeling VERY differently on a subject. I don't see atheism as a "cause" that should be "furthered" in society. I would not combat the rise of religion. According to the first amendment, we have the right to religious freedom and if people want to shout from the rooftops how their God has made their lives wonderful, I support them 100%. We do NOT have a duty to promote anything. To do so would be to act JUST like those who push their religion on other people (IMO) and I cannot abide by that.

As far as the law, the first amendment protects us, too. No law can be made respecting an establishment of religion. That's all we need.

[edit on 9/4/2010 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr

People can believe whatever they want. You can not force non-belief. Some governments have tried.

I only support Separation of Church and State be adhered to in government 100%.

NO GOD in government. That's it.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 07:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Monsieur Neary

There's actually a term for that, it's called 'deism'. A 'deist' is someone who believes in some higher power that isn't actively interfering with the world and has set out no rules of any sort.

reply to post by woodwardjnr

I believe we have a duty to help uphold our secular government but it's up to the individual to choose his or her stance on religion. We can, however, allow for outlets for those who are considering non-belief in a society that largely does not accept unbelievers.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 01:21 AM
link   

I believe we have a duty to help uphold our secular government but it's up to the individual to choose his or her stance on religion. We can, however, allow for outlets for those who are considering non-belief in a society that largely does not accept unbelievers.

I think that religiously motivated crimes against humanity should be prosecuted regardless of political cost. The more popular the religion the higher the political cost, but also the greater the need to prosecute.

I wish I had a clever question to ask, but alas, I do not. OK, here's one: If some one had an unknown deity, could he pass himself off as an agnostic?

[edit on 7-9-2010 by pthena]

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by pthena

Well, if the deity is of unknown identity to that individual, that individual would be a deist, not an agnostic. If someone had knowledge of this deity and the rest did not they would simply be a theist of a different sort.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Well now that I have a moment of spare time it is worth noting that if anyone tells me that God punish Atheists I am living proof of otherwise . I have lost no property and my friends and family are unhurt in the Christchurch Earthquake .I wonder how many Christians and people of other faith lost there home or suffered otherwise ?

Cheers xpert11.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 07:31 AM
link   
reply to post by xpert11

Good to hear you're ok. It's kind of funny for an atheist to live there though.

I remember I was at a pub when it happened, a guy actually said 'That'll show them godless sheep-shaggers'
And I said: In Christ Church
Christ
Church

And he didn't get it...

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 01:06 PM
link   
A few years ago, I read the Philip Pullman Golden Compass trilogy. The God described in those books seems to be the God I recognize. Pullman is an atheist. His books are said to be atheist. This leaves me a bit puzzled.

edit on 9-9-2010 by pthena because: to close underline

top topics

<<   2 >>

join