It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Volcano quiet for 400 years erupts in Indonesia

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Volcano quiet for 400 years erupts in Indonesia

www.msnbc.msn.com

JAKARTA, Indonesia — A volcano in western Indonesia spewed hot lava and sand high into the sky early Sunday in its first eruption in 400 years.

Government volcanologist Surono, who uses only one name, said Mount Sinabung in North Sumatra province started rumbling a few days ago and the minor morning eruption has mostly stopped.

It sent sand and ash up to 1.5 kilometers high but lava only moved near the crater. It caused no major damage "but only dust covered plants and trees," he said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Another one goes off! Me thinks this is solar activity increasing that is affecting those volcanoes... but that's just me.

So far almost no damage... let's hope it stays like that. We'll see in the coming days/weeks...

The ring of fire is on fire again!

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 28-8-2010 by Vitchilo]

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Whoops! Just dropped this into the Fragile Earth forum.

I'm glad no one has been injured in this event, and I'm delighted that the Indonesian authorities are taking it seriously, evacuating 12,000 people.
The story on the Australian website says that the alert has been raised to the highest level (red) but the msnbc story says it is only a minor eruption.

Any idea if a red alert is a standard signal for any eruption, regardless of magnitude?

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by tangotemper

Drop a line or two, about this on the Volcano Watch 2010 thread, and you'll get all those questions answered....

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 11:56 PM
link   
I don't think I'll ever hear about a natural disaster again and not immediately think that we HAARP'd it into existance.

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by erumisato
I don't think I'll ever hear about a natural disaster again and not immediately think that we HAARP'd it into existance.

Then you need to take a break and come back here in 2011.

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by CanadianDream420

Then you need to take a break and come back here in 2011.

It's too late for me. Conspiracy theory rule #7 states, and I quote, "Conspiracy theory will never let you go."

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 02:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo

The ring of fire is on fire again!

You mean its been quiet?

www.iris.edu...

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 02:35 AM
link   
Interesting stuff! Thanks for posting the info.
'My' volcano - Etna - has been really busy this week also.
Four days ago she spewed some steam and sand and smoke - then again 2 days ago.
I probably should check out correlations with sun spots...
Thanks for the thread.

peace

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 02:59 AM
link   
i just love this news S&F
earth is simply amazing and so powerfull
this volcano have waited 400 years ... until it goes pop

i would be like woody harrelson in the movie 2012
waiting until it explode to see how beautifull it is

the earth shaking before it goes boom
i would film it all lol

its just sad for the people living around it
and sad if some gets killed by it ...

we have all see when power of nature are mixed
this is (fire+earth)
katrina flood was (water+wind)

they can be devastating ... they are like the big vilain each of them
but also the most importants things on earth for us

earth
wind
fire
water

those are the 4 fantastics

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Interesting...I think I remember seeing a prediction about a volcano in August or around this time. Anyone remember what it was? I'm curious enough to look around for it...lol

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

How aweful. I hope that everyone remains calm and nobody gets hurt.

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

How aweful. I hope that everyone remains calm and nobody gets hurt.

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Would be interesting to know what the recently discovered volcano in the sea in indonesia? Anyone.
Also any one else wonder if the floods in pakistan and china think it may actually be melt water also?

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 04:39 PM
link   
At least none of the supervolcanos has started huffing and puffing yet. Although it would be interesting to watch. I would love to see how our fearless leaders deal with something that could be an extinction level event.

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Do you forget that the earth goes through cycles? Sometimes hot, sometimes cold. What is the opposite of an ice age? Global warming lol.

Space weather affects earth weather and anyone who says it doesn't is not being very logical or is just lying to you.

This is all being caused by the dark brown dwarf star making its way close to us. Wormwood is coming. Its orbit in its solar system comes into contact with ours every five thousand something years and that is why the earth has major changes every five thousand something years like clock work.

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Sky watcher

Not bashing on you, but is there any evidence of Wormwood? I am curious because Plato mentions in Timeaus something to this effect. That periodically there is a burning that crashes down our feeble attempts at civilization.

Just because he says it, doesnt mean its true, of course, its the same piece whee he introduces the world to the idea of Atlantis, and we have failed to find evidence of that to date.

top topics

join