It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What are your views on Gay marriage?

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by CynicalM

I agree with you on this .. I beleive that marriage is an institution for a man and a woman to join in matrimony and create family.
A Gay couple can not create this union in which to have a family in a natural form as intended.

I also have nothing against Gays. I have a few friends who are Gay.. I do not judge them it is not my place. I am not however Gay and do not neccessarily condone this activity, that is my beleif and I am entitle to that as well as they are entitle to their beliefs, however we are all human and entitle to be treated as humans, with all due respect.
Same as I do not believe in interacial marriages.. I will stand behind my values and not sway.
call me what you want I do not care. Maybe I am old fashioned or square but I believe that many problems came in when our values started to vary. I have many friends who are black as well.. I give others respect if they give me the respect that is due me.. but I will not change my morals or values to fit in with an ever changing world.. maybe this is why I would not ever run for a political office..

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 10:58 PM
link   
[edit on 30 Aug 2010 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by ladagosta

Same as I do not believe in interacial marriages.. I will stand behind my values

I won't call you any names.

I just have no desire to be associated with you in any way - not even on a discussion board.

I am a futurist - - I believe in progression - - not living in the Dark Ages.

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dark Ghost
Loving somebody does not mean you have the right to marry them. If I love my brother's wife does that mean I have the right to marry her? If I love my sister does this mean I have the right to marry her?

You DO NOT have the right to marry someone in an exiting relationship, nor do you have the right to marry someone without their consent, (not here anyway...) nor may you marry a close relative. The examples you cited are not based on romantic or physical attraction, and lacked consent from both parties. You really are grasping at straws here.

(PS: Marriage is based on sex, not sexual orientation.)

Therein lies the basis for this debate. Rather than restrict love based on your narrow gender requirements, why not allow people to marry for LOVE?

Additionally, marriage, as it pertains to LEGAL MARRIAGE, is NOT about sex, but is instead a matter of contract law. If two people choose to enter into a legal contract, there shouldn't be any restrictions based on gender. Ultimately, marriage shouldn't be about sex or sexual orientation. It should be based on equity and fairness for all.

Too bad the dominant sexual orientation happens to be heterosexuality in most parts of the world. It's kind of like people with blue hair saying they don't want to pay benefits for people with brown hair.

Fortunately the Bill of Rights was designed to protect minorities from tyranny by the majority. Just because the majority supports something doesn't mean that it's right.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Marriage is a a legal contract, no matter what other things you attach to it the state views it as a simple, legal agreement. This is why i find the entire situation with gay marriage to be so odd.

A gay person can sign a contract to own property, to be employed, for insurance, for a loan, for various licenses, to adopt a child and yet for some reason they are not allowed to sign the legal contract to do with marriage.

There is no logical reason for this being prevented.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 04:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Romantic_Rebel
Myself I don't support Gay marriage unless Polygyny becomes legal. This is just my opinion on this issue. I don't see why Gay's have to get married to love one another. Tell me your thoughts on this issue.

So, you're saying that for two persons to love each other, it has to be legal, uh? Then, if it was forbidden for a man and a woman be married, they shouldn't love each other, is it?

It all comes to this: most people here believe in UFO's, conspiracies, secret plots, government manipulation, faeries, angels, demons, satan, god, alien species, supernatural events of all sorts, etc...

I mean: why don't the same people try to understand that, no matter the gender, two human beings can love each other? It's amazing how broad one's horizons are regarding topics that sometimes have no proof at all but SPECULATION and yet are so narrow when it comes to a factual thing as love.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Believe it or not, there are Atheists who oppose Gay Marriage and even Gay people themselves who agree that marriage should be between a man and a woman.

That's all very true. But is it right for one group of people to decide what's right and wrong for another group? Is it morally right for the majority to vote and decide that the minority doesn't get the same benefits and privileges as the majority?

If you don't approve of gay marriage, then marry someone of the opposite gender. But what gives you the right to dictate the definition of someone else's relationship? What business is it of yours to tell other people how they have to live?

Logically, two people of the same sex cannot reproduce offspring naturally without the assistance of a third party member of the opposite sex.

My husband and I cannot reproduce naturally, either. Your argument is lost right there. There are MANY heterosexual couples who cannot reproduce without aid from a third party.

From a Social standpoint, marriage between two people who cannot naturally conceive do not really need Tax breaks to help them maintain a living.

But they still get them, whether they need them or not. People who DECIDE not to have kids get the same tax breaks. Plus, gay people can and do adopt. They have and raise children who are responsible societal contributors. Your 2nd argument is also lost.

I was trying to demonstrate that even those who are gay or those who support Gay Rights can be opposed to gay marriage on non-religious grounds.

Then they shouldn't get married. But they also shouldn't dictate for those who DO want to marry.

If legalising GM resulted in World Peace, the end of needless suffering or the end of unjust warfare then I would support it and spread the word.

To grant people equal treatment under the law, the payoff must be world peace? Nice.

Marriage was seen for a very long time as the basis for starting a family and continuing one's family heritage. This is how I see marriage and I know there are quite a few people who agree with this idea of marriage.

For a very long time, black people were seen as inferior to white people and the two couldn't legally marry... For a very long time, women weren't allowed to vote.

Heterosexual couples that are sterile did not choose to be sterile and they are in the minority as well.

So, were they denied marriage because they were in the minority? No. If they choose to be sterile (vasectomy or tubal ligation) are they denied marriage? No.

Why should a couple receive benefits when they have the same "burdens" as single people do? So yes, I believe even heterosexual couples with no dependents should be ineligible for tax breaks.

Ah, so you would discriminate against non-breeders, too?

Equality and Freedom are in the eyes of the beholder.

Sorry, but that sounds something like a white heterosexual male Congressman would say.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Too bad the dominant sexual orientation happens to be heterosexuality in most parts of the world. It's kind of like people with blue hair saying they don't want to pay benefits for people with brown hair.

Ah, so the dominant class rules, huh? I think I finally see where you're coming from. You're the kind of person that believes that the majority can make laws that discriminate against the minority and the minority just have to live with it.

Majority Rule, Minority Rights

Majority rule is a means for organizing government and deciding public issues; it is not another road to oppression. Just as no self-appointed group has the right to oppress others, so no majority, even in a democracy, should take away the basic rights and freedoms of a minority group or individual.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Well since most of the worlds population are against homosexuals and it's against nature then the only reason they are being promoted is to cut down the population numbers.

Gay Pride is in our schools looking for new recuriutes by tell our kids it's all so normal ! well it's not and they should keep that type of activity to themselves so far as i'm concerned.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Master_007

IT IS normal, if you see their side. Abnormal is the lack of comprehension and knowledge people demonstrate about the subject, which is clearly your case. I mean, there's no homosexual recruitment or draft, you just are born with it, you don't choose it over being straight.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by ladagosta
reply to post by CynicalM

I agree with you on this .. I beleive that marriage is an institution for a man and a woman to join in matrimony and create family.
A Gay couple can not create this union in which to have a family in a natural form as intended.

I also have nothing against Gays. I have a few friends who are Gay.. I do not judge them it is not my place. I am not however Gay and do not neccessarily condone this activity, that is my beleif and I am entitle to that as well as they are entitle to their beliefs, however we are all human and entitle to be treated as humans, with all due respect.
Same as I do not believe in interacial marriages.. I will stand behind my values and not sway.
call me what you want I do not care. Maybe I am old fashioned or square but I believe that many problems came in when our values started to vary. I have many friends who are black as well.. I give others respect if they give me the respect that is due me.. but I will not change my morals or values to fit in with an ever changing world.. maybe this is why I would not ever run for a political office..

So, in essence, anyone different from you shouldn't be entitled to any of the rights or benefits that you are? Apparently you believe that it's OK to discriminate if a person is gay or of a different race. How about women? People with differing religious or social beliefs? Midgets? People of mixed race? Where do you draw the line?

You claim that you have gay friends. I disagree. You have gay acquaintances. Friends don't fight to deny friends of equality.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by ~Vixen~
You claim that you have gay friends. I disagree. You have gay acquaintances. Friends don't fight to deny friends of equality.

Yeah that one always gets me. It's like me saying i have a black friend (i do) but saying he shouldn't be able to marry a white woman because he is black. Not a really friendly thing to do.

[edit on 30-8-2010 by ImaginaryReality1984]

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Romantic_Rebel
What are your views on Gay marriage?

Personally, my view is that the country and world have much more important crises to grapple with now, and the more this becomes a "political" issue (whichever side of the debate you stand on), the more it inflames needlessly and distracts from truly serious problems that are going ignored.

[edit on 8/31/10 by silent thunder]

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 03:55 AM
link   
It's a shame that members who resist Political Correctness have to be given labels because they have opinions that differ from those who do choose to embrace that ideology.

I hope the thread author has gained some valuable information from this thread and those that have participated learned something new.

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 08:46 AM
link   

It's a shame that members who resist Political Correctness have to be given labels because they have opinions that differ from those who do choose to embrace that ideology.

I don't see political correctness here. Are you sure you know what it means? See definition below.

I see a desire for true equal treatment under the law, as the Constitution describes. You can call that "political correctness" if you want, but that's a clear attempt to mask the truth.

You should really check into the idea of "projection" because what's a shame is that those of us who want equal treatment under the law for ALL people are labeled "Politically Correct" by those wish to discriminate. If you think that supporting the Constitution is being politically correct, you really should do some more reading.

Political Correctness

avoidance of expressions or actions that can be perceived to exclude or marginalize or insult people who are socially disadvantaged or discriminated against

This isn't about the words we use or pretending that we want equal rights for all so we won't be perceived to be insulting. THAT'S political correctness. This is about the founding tenets of this country. Freedom and equality for all.

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 09:03 AM
link   
gay marriage is a non issue, get out of these poor people's business. they deserve the same rights as everyone else. just like the war on drugs this is another case of legislating morality. the government needs to stop meddling in our personal business and do its job. all of you who are focused on this issue should be ashamed of yourself. get out of other peoples lives. can't you see they just want you to focus on petty things of this nature in order to distract you from the real problems? pat yourself on the back you are doing, thinking, and feeling exactly what they want you to. great job, really, you should be proud. idiots.

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Perhaps you were unaware of the alternative uses of the term Political Correctness. Here are some definitions from some other sources to explain what I and others mean when we use that phrase:

(1)

–noun
marked by or adhering to a typically progressive orthodoxy on issues involving esp. race, gender, sexual affinity, or ecology. Abbreviation: PC, P.C.
Dictionary.com

(2)

adj. Abbr. PC
1. Of, relating to, or supporting broad social, political, and educational change, especially to redress historical injustices in matters such as race, class, gender, and sexual orientation.
2. Being or perceived as being overconcerned with such change, often to the exclusion of other matters.
The Free Dictionary

-----------------

As for less formal sources:

(3)

Political correctness - A trend that wants to make everything fair, equal and just to all by suppressing thought, speech and practice in order to achieve that goal.
Information Entertainment

(4)

If we look at it analytically, if we look at it historically, we quickly find out exactly what it is. Political Correctness is cultural Marxism. It is Marxism translated from economic into cultural terms. It is an effort that goes back not to the 1960s and the hippies and the peace movement, but back to World War I. If we compare the basic tenets of Political Correctness with classical Marxism the parallels are very obvious.
Accuracy In Academia

[edit on 1/9/2010 by Dark Ghost]

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

Yes I think that Gay people should be allowed to marry--- why shouldn’t they be as miserable as the rest of us!

Bad joke aside --- I think they Gay people have a right to the same benefits equated to hetero couples under marriage. (legal, medical ect.) Especially when there might be children involved.

Imho, marriage is the ultimate symbol of love between 2 people and why shouldn’t Gay people be allowed to express their love like everyone else.

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

I don't see political correctness here. Are you sure you know what it means?

I don't either.

I see personal Ideology vs Equal Rights.

I see religious concepts dictating to government. Which I am 100% against.

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Lots of People against Gay marriage here....... but it's OK for Britney Spears to have Kids?

You know the old saying.... when you poke your nose in someone else's life.... chances are, there ain't much happening in yours.

People...... please take up a normal hobby, for the sake of others.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join