It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What are your views on Gay marriage?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 05:18 PM
link   
This argument is so silly, and points out why true separation of church (including religious ideology) and state are so important.

Here in 2010, marriage is a legal contract, not a religious one. You may get married in a church, but if you don't go down and get a marriage license first, you're not married. With this contract comes certain benefits, like tax status, property considerations, being able to make important life and death decisions -- which can be a big deal when the person you've spent 15 years of your life with and told what you'd like to have happen to you should you wind up in a coma from an unexpected car accident is completely ignored in favor of the parent you can't really stand and have been estranged from for years because they disagreed with your life choices, all because you're not legally married so the person you actually love and trust with your life has no legal recourse. I've seen that happen, and it's devastatingly sad.

By the way, all you religious people out there do realize that the bible does not support the idea of marriage being one man and one woman, but rather marriage being one man and as many women as he can afford? Because marriage was a *property* contract, even back when the bible was being written. Especially back then... The bible also supports slavery. Luckily, we saw fit to move past that though.

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by resistancia

Nice post. I just have one thing to debate:

Gay people do not "turn" gay, they are born gay, through no fault of their own.

"Fault" indicates that there is a problem(issue).

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

maybe I did use the wrong word there.

I did not intend any fault but I do feel that those who are intolerant of gay people do play the blame game and treat them as they are at fault. I was trying get that across...not as well as I could maybe.

I am at work so sneaking some ATS time and not thinking too deeply.

cheers all of you
res

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by ACTS 2:38
First off the very last definition of gay in a dictionary from the 60s states immoral actions which is what you are asking is immoral actions OK by me

NO not today tomorrow or ever.

Man changes the meaning of words to dumb down those growing up from understanding the truth.

When you can get two male ends on an extension cord to stay together with out having to add, take away, or change anything in any way you will still have an unnatural action.

So the simply act of changing that word is going to suddenly destroy my marriage of six years?

Please.

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by redhead57
I really don't understand why a civil union is not satisfactory at all. It gives all the legal rights.

No, it doesn't. Civil unions don't have to be recognized by hospitals, employers, etc. So the benefits of civil unions fall far short of the benefits of legal marriage.

What I am vehemently opposed to is changing the God given definition of marriage!

Where does God give the definition of marriage?

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Every year the percentage of those ACCEPTING the Right for Gays to Marry - - - increases.

Thankfully - - we are winning the war against Religion. God is a different matter.

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

What I am vehemently opposed to is changing the God given definition of marriage!

Where does God give the definition of marriage?

I just wanted to butt in here with this one. It frustrates me to see religious people claiming marriage as something that belongs to them. Marriage goes back thousands of years before the big 3 religions came about. Remote tribes in existence today often have joining ceremonies of some form or another.

However what frustrates me the most is that marriage in most modern societes is more about financial and legal rights then it is about bonding two people together for life so the religious aspect should simply be ignored. Indeed this fact can be evidenced by many people getting married outside of a religious building by a government official.

[edit on 29-8-2010 by ImaginaryReality1984]

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by ImaginaryReality1984

However what frustrates me the most is that marriage in most modern societies is more about financial and legal rights then it is about bonding two people together for life so the religious aspect should simply be ignored. Indeed this fact can be evidenced by many people getting married outside of a religious building by a government official.

But its really always been about that. Love in Marriage is a fairly new concept. It began about 900 years old.

Marriages were mostly arranged business/political contracts.

marriage.about.com...

[edit on 29-8-2010 by Annee]

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

I really don't understand why a civil union is not satisfactory at all. It gives all the legal rights.

No, it doesn't. Civil unions don't have to be recognized by hospitals, employers, etc. So the benefits of civil unions fall far short of the benefits of legal marriage.

It may be a good idea for people to look into Power of Attorney:

en.wikipedia.org...

My best friend and I took out Power of Attorney for each other since we have very little family between us and wouldn't trust our few relatives to know, or carry out, our wishes should we become ill.

Not a perfect solution, but better than nothing. It's also good advice to not put off making a will.

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

it's the financial support from the gov't and insurance is why gays want to get married. they don't have that ability because of their sexual orientation. did you know 10% of everything in the world is gay? animals, plants, insects, etc. people can be born super feminine, masculine, or gay despite their gender. it's like the blue eyes mutation except psychological and not physical.

not being gay myself but having empathy for my fellow citizens who are, i support gay marriage.

this goes back to when race was an issue. a black man marrying a white woman went against the views of mass society. nothing bad happened right? actually it made us more accepting of others.

some people think this'll lead to bestiality or polyamy but that's not true. sultans and mormans are known for polygamy, not gays. and i've yet to see the similarity between marrying the same gender of our spieces and marrying a cow. they're two very different things.

why not let gay people marry each other? HIV fear? bc you don't need marriage to have sex and i don't see any spread of HIV --by gays-- even after sex between gays was accepted decades ago.

[edit on 8/29/10 by ohsnaptruth]

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 06:42 PM
link   
It seems many view opposition to Gay Marriage as primarily religiously-motivated. While this might be the case in the many reports shown in the media, there are plenty of people who see it as unnatural and socially destructive in and of itself. You don't need a religious book to tell you that some things feel wrong for one reason or another.

Believe it or not, there are Atheists who oppose Gay Marriage and even Gay people themselves who agree that marriage should be between a man and a woman.

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Dark Ghost

I'm not trying to be a dick but do you have any info on that? I would be interested in seeing it.

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dark Ghost

Believe it or not, there are Atheists who oppose Gay Marriage and even Gay people themselves who agree that marriage should be between a man and a woman.

Which certainly proves that there will never be a shortage of people having and voicing opinions about things that are none of their business.

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
I'm not trying to be a dick but do you have any info on that? I would be interested in seeing it.

Julia Gillard (acting PM of Australia) is a prominent example of an Atheist that opposes GM on non-religious grounds. She is in a heterosexual relationship and is unmarried as of present.

Gillard against gay marriage

Penny Wong is a Gay Australian politician who supports her party's opposition to legalising GM. She is in a committed Lesbian relationship as of present.

I've suffered gay discrimination: Penny Wong

(Please keep in mind that both of these politicians are on record as supporting Gay Rights, but both oppose legalising Gay Marriage).

As for more "common" examples, you would need to talk to individual people themselves and not rely on the media's portrayal of group think stories ("GM is an abomination!"). I have spoken with a wide range of people on this issue - family, friends and colleagues. More often than not the people who oppose GM usually explain their reasons as being "it just seems wrong" as opposed to "Bible says it's wrong" or "God says it's wrong". They could be lying to mask their feelings of homophobia, but as somebody who is not homophobic and agrees that marriage should stay between a man and a woman, I can relate to their POV.

[edit on 29/8/2010 by Dark Ghost]

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Dark Ghost

Most excellent Post. You've given me something to think about. I don't know if I will agree but you've made me think.

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 07:12 PM
link   
My thoughts on this issue are that I am so fed up with hearing about it, that I wish people would leave it alone.

Debates about it will never result in a winner.

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

But its really always been about that. Love in Marriage is a fairly new concept. It began about 900 years old.

Marriages were mostly arranged business/political contracts.

marriage.about.com...

[edit on 29-8-2010 by Annee]

Yes and no. What i mean to say is that in the past marriage would have been about money for the family, trading a daughter for a couple of cows or marrying a son to tie together two families. However now marriage is for the most part about gaining tax breaks and the like from the state. Oh of course people marry for love don't get me wrong here but what i am saying is one big reason to allow gay marriage is to afford them the same tax breaks and legal protections/rights that come with a marriage license.

While marriage is still about money and law it's slightly different to how it used to be, that's all i meant

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog
Which certainly proves that there will never be a shortage of people having and voicing opinions about things that are none of their business.

Sorry, but as long as Taxpayers are helping finance the benefits afforded to couples that are legally recognised as "married", they will have a say in how the word is defined. Legal protection is one thing (permitting couples to visit sick loved ones in hospital is a good example), but equating the union of two people of the same sex (civil union) with Marriage seems wrong.

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by ImaginaryReality1984

Oh yeah - - I've been trying to stick to the Legal Government aspect of it.

Just those who try to claim its always been about Love and God - - are in Dreamland.

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dark Ghost
It seems many view opposition to Gay Marriage as primarily religiously-motivated. While this might be the case in the many reports shown in the media, there are plenty of people who see it as unnatural and socially destructive in and of itself. You don't need a religious book to tell you that some things feel wrong for one reason or another.

Simple Response.

Follow the money that supported Prop8.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join