It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What are your views on Gay marriage?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 05:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

I am perfectly fine with gay marriages. As long as two people consent to form a relationship who am I to force my views on them? They are not forcing me to change my lifestyle and how I live.

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 05:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Romantic_Rebel
This is my favorite.

♀ + ♀ + ♂ = ♥
Polygamy should be legal!

Sure, why not? If the adults consent to it what's wrong in it? If the people in that relation does not have a problem who is someone else to say it's wrong or right?

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 05:52 AM
link   
To answer how I feel about gay marriage, firt I should say how I feel about non-gay marriage. I don't mind people getting married, it's their choice, but I think it's something you can easily live without. Partnership is good enough for me, no paper necesary. But it's my choice.

As for gays, same thing applies. I don's see why they need it and want it, but they do, so let them have it. They can't choose who they love, just like straight people can't, so we shouldn't deny them the right to be married.

In the end it's all the same, two people who are in love, not our bussiness who they share their bed with.

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 06:23 AM
link   
Even if you take the religious connotations away from the word, Marriage is between a Man and a Women. That's not saying it has to be between "two heterosexuals" or "two members of the opposite sex", it is simply between one Man and one Woman. It's not discriminatory or unfair. If you don't like what it represents then don't get one.

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 06:25 AM
link   
My view is that I simply don't care. It's a states rights issue. If a state wants to allow it .. then so be it. If the state doesn't want to .. then that's the way it is. Majority rule in the state. Each state can vote on how they want their state governed.

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 07:51 AM
link   
I am tremendously disappointed by the civility of this discussion.

But truly, look at how far we've come. Gay marriage discussions usually go off like a match to a bomb and end in a wash of anger, and yet--except for a few quarrelsome members--you all seem damn near placid. Is it simply fatigue or are we really beginning to come to our senses? I'll go ahead and hope (naively?) it's the latter.

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 08:22 AM
link   
My view is this: marriage has nothing to do with civil unions. If a priest doesn't want to wed gays he doesn't have to; if he does all the more power to him. Legally, it's civil unions that should matter, not marriage.

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Greensage
Marriage is an institution of the Church, it always has been.

You're wrong. Marriage is an institution of the STATE. The government. Some marriages have a religious component to them (a religious ceremony), but not all marriages are religious or involve religion at all! Many people have civil marriages, performed in a courthouse by a Justice of the Peace, without ever hearing a religious phrase spoken. Perfectly legal.

Whether or not the government SHOULD be involved is irrelevant for this discussion, but that's the way it IS. Even if you get married in a church by your pastor, you need a license, which is issued by the state and you need to sign LEGAL documents to make it valid. A LEGAL marriage. According to the state.

Secondly, the 14th Amendment states that all citizens are to be treated equally under the law. So, since the state offers benefits under the institution of marriage, it must offer them equally to ALL citizens.

I just wonder what you would think if someone told you that you couldn't get married for one reason or the other. If there's one thing that pisses me off, it's people who stick their noses in where they don't belong and think they have some sort of right to limit the rights of people with whom they disagree. It just shows how few understand the Bill of Rights.

Keep your religion to yourself. It doesn't apply to me or anyone else.

I am strongly against forcing a church to perform a ceremony. The church is protected from the government. But the government is also protected from the church. So, have a religious marriage if you want to, but don't force your religion into my marriage.

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by CynicalM
IMHO,marriage is a joining of a man and a woman with the sole intent of starting a family..Something a gay couple can not do alone..

I am in a heterosexual marriage and we can't have children. Are you saying that my marriage is somehow not a real marriage? We never had the intention of starting a family... Who are you to define someone else's marriage?

Originally posted by Mak Manto
The license has to either come from a church or the government.

A church cannot issue a license. Only the government can do that. A religious ceremony means nothing (legally) without that legal contract.

Originally posted by Dark Ghost
Even if you take the religious connotations away from the word, Marriage is between a Man and a Women.

Says who?

Look, you define your marriage and I'll define mine, OK? People get married for many reasons: Convenience, money, love, companionship, to have a family, or because they got too drunk one night. Each couple defines their marriage. Mind your own business.

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by 547000
My view is this: marriage has nothing to do with civil unions. If a priest doesn't want to wed gays he doesn't have to; if he does all the more power to him. Legally, it's civil unions that should matter, not marriage.

Marriage as in Marriage License - is the legal word/term used in the government contract.

Therefore - it is Marriage for all.

Civil union is/was a created terminology to give gay couples some rights. It is a Separate but Not-Equal farce.

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 10:13 AM
link   
The way I see it, all couples should have a civil union and the state should only care for that. I associate marriage with religious ceremony personally.

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

The author of this thread asked for our views on Gay marriage, so we are permitted to say what they are and why we feel the way we do. It's not about your views on Religion and Equal Rights. You don't have to like or agree with the opinions of those who oppose Gay marriage, but coming into a thread and telling people to stay out of "other peoples' business" just because they don't share your world view is silly.

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 10:29 AM
link   

The author of this thread asked for our views on Gay marriage, so we are permitted to say what they are and why we feel the way we do.

Did I try to stop you from expressing your opinion? I didn't think so. I gave my opinion as well. It is my understanding that we are also permitted to give our opinions on other aspects of the subject. Right?

It's not about your views on Religion and Equal Rights.

Well, actually it is. Because my views on religion and equal rights are an integral part of my opinion on marriage being equally offered to all people, religious or not. So, to me, this is very much about religion and equal rights.

... coming into a thread and telling people to stay out of "other peoples' business" just because they don't share your world view is silly.

And you're free to think my opinions are silly. But it is my opinion that using one's religion to deny another's Constitutional rights is downright un-American.

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 10:49 AM
link   
if someone is strongly against the gay marriage issue, then they probably have a little secret of their own. that they are totally gay and in denial. god loves everyone, it says so in the bible. so how does he hate gays? how can you base your stance on this issue on religion? doesn't god love all of his creatures, even if they run a little funny?

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 11:12 AM
link   
I'm sorry but the new edited commandment

Honor thy father and thy other father

just doesn't work for me

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Simply put: You cant regulate love.

People spend so much energy trying to dictate how others live their private lives when it, in no way, has any affect on your own life.

Just live people and enjoy life while you have it. Its easy. Live life the way you want to live, so as long as you arent hurting others why should I care how you live?

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

But maybe it's better than "Honor thy father and mother... Well assuming that your mother actually can find your father when she goes back on the Maury show next month..."

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

Why should heterosexuals get married to express there love? Love has no boundaries...it is love.

One of the main reasons that they want gay marriage is so that if one partner dies the other will get benefits just like heterosexuals. Also tax benefits and everything else legal that goes with marriage.

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Even if you take the religious connotations away from the word, Marriage is between a Man and a Women. That's not saying it has to be between "two heterosexuals" or "two members of the opposite sex", it is simply between one Man and one Woman. It's not discriminatory or unfair. If you don't like what it represents then don't get one.

What if one of them was born a hermaphrodite? God made that person as a dual sex so would you deny that also? When God said he/she made man in Gods image he meant mankind not just men correct?

So with that said my bet is God is not male nor female how could God be just one or the other? So that means God is a hermaphrodite. Remove all your bias and it cannot be seen any other way.

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Romantic_Rebel
Myself I don't support Gay marriage unless Polygyny becomes legal. This is just my opinion on this issue. I don't see why Gay's have to get married to love one another. Tell me your thoughts on this issue.

Then why don't you also see why straights have to get married to love one another?

I support gay marriage if that is what they want to do with their lives. For me I don't need an official acceptance of my relationship. I'm not asking for permission from the government or church to be with someone. I certainly do not need a legal document to tell me I love someone.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join