It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What are your views on Gay marriage?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Mak Manto

That's not true, at least where I am.

The license comes from the government. Period.

You bring it to the church and it is signed by the person who performed the marriage and your witnesses, then returned to the government to get processed and registered.

If you choose not to get married in a church, you do the exact same thing but with someone who has a license to marry people (can be either religious or non-religious).

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 09:19 PM
link   
I live in the US.
The one thing that rubs me a little wrong about the issue, is our seperation from church and state. ( Which could really be a thread itself)
Marriage in my view is kind of split.
On one hand it's a way to reconize a union between two people for financial ground ( as in taxs, handling some ones affiars/estate if your spouse is not able to..) even to reconize that person as family in the case of hospitialization.
I can see the other part as a religious recognition of people joining together for "life" under there faith.

Now here in the states we like to think we've come so far in our sense of equality. This is joke. To stay on topic is ridiculous to think that TWO consenting adults are unable to be recognized as a couple and recieve the same benifits as hetrosexual couples because they love someone of the same sex.

I really couldn't care less if they wanting to use another term instead of marriage for our ultra-religious counterparts. Although, seperate but equal has never worked out.

I really feel there are more issue that we as people should be concerned about than people wanting to have there relationships recognized.

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 09:20 PM
link   
gays getting married doesn't affect my life in any way. i honestly couldn't care less who gets married. saying a marriage is a holy union is laughable at best, take a quick peek at the divorce rate in america and you will see why gay marriage is a non issue... cuz they are just going to get divorced anyway.

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Gays should be able to get married.
I don't really understand how people can think otherwise.

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by americandingbat

That's not true, at least where I am.

The license comes from the government. Period.

You bring it to the church and it is signed by the person who performed the marriage and your witnesses, then returned to the government to get processed and registered.

If you choose not to get married in a church, you do the exact same thing but with someone who has a license to marry people (can be either religious or non-religious).

Well then, I'll change my post around by saying either a government official or a religious official has to sigh the license.

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 09:40 PM
link   

One question. Do states differ on marriage issues?

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 09:40 PM
link   
I live in the US. I have always thought that the government should be in the business of recognizing and upholding civil unions, not religious unions. The whole church/ state thing. Then after you are registered or licensed by the granting government authority, if you want to have a religious ceremony and be recognized by your religious authority, hey, more power to you.

So, to answer the question I think gays should be able to register their civil unions with the government and get all the same rights as other couples do now. Then If they can find a church who will bless their union, good for them.

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 09:42 PM
link   
I aint real thought about this, but i am real homophobic, I dont belive in anything gay, But like they say dont know it till u tried it,

I just cant understand why a man would want a man, Simple minded u could call me, Then again i dont know why anyone would want to marry, Doest really mean anythin to me.

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by CynicalM
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

IMHO,marriage is a joining of a man and a woman with the sole intent of starting a family..Something a gay couple can not do alone..

There is nothing wrong with their hardware. Many gay man has had a child the natural way.

So we must make it illegal for straights to get married - - unless they sign a contact they are going to have a child.

And - of course any straight couple that can not have a child the "normal" way - - must get divorced. Because they are not fulfilling their contract.

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by MagickWithoutTears
I aint real thought about this, but i am real homophobic, I dont belive in anything gay, But like they say dont know it till u tried it,

Then think in terms of legal equal rights.

All privileges that are granted by government - - only afforded to those married - - must be granted to all.

No one must agree or understand why two of same sex are attracted to each other.

But one should understand Equal Rights.

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by angrywhitechick

So, to answer the question I think gays should be able to register their civil unions with the government and get all the same rights as other couples do now. Then If they can find a church who will bless their union, good for them.

"Once the cat is out of the bag"

We can't go backwards. And we can not have Separate but Equal.

It has to be Marriage.

link   
I think sex is in society a little too much. Perhaps this is me being brainwashed of 12 years of catholic school.

(I don't like religions for the record, and encourage self searching, though some religions may give you some guidance, you should be yourself and go your own way.)

With that said, I don't, won't, and can't, as an American, deny someone, what they would consider their own pursuit of happiness. All people, and those who commit themselves to another, should be entitled to the same benefits. I don't think we should encourage same sex marriage, or even encourage "traditional" marriages (for lack of better wording).

We boast sexuality in the media way too much. I wish we wouldn't, but once again, it isn't my say. I think, since we believe we are so much better than the past civilizations before us, we should be a little more respectful. Open is alright, but don't persuade.

link   
This debate has been making me laugh for a couple of years now. People gettting offended by this have missed the boat. Got news for you folks, the gay people are already having sex and living together. Any moral indignation is a day late and a dollar short.

I say let them get married so that they can do the same boring stuff we can, like put our spouses onto our health insurance or share joint property rights.

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Shouldn't this thread be in the "gay" forum?
.. there isn't one?

hrm

b

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by CynicalM
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

IMHO,marriage is a joining of a man and a woman with the sole intent of starting a family..Something a gay couple can not do alone..

I know I'll get flamed (as usual) but I am NOT against Gays or them being together..

Just let them use a different term for their partnership..

I take it you're also opposed to sterile people getting married eh?
Or is it just the gays?

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 09:58 PM
link   
So long as two people are consenting adults of sound mind its is not for me or anyone else to say they can not get married. One good thing we will see out of the younger generations is the death of gay marriage bans.

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Romantic_Rebel
Myself I don't support Gay marriage unless Polygyny becomes legal. This is just my opinion on this issue. I don't see why Gay's have to get married to love one another. Tell me your thoughts on this issue.

This issues is being blown way out of proportion. There are bigger problems in this world to worry about. If the same sex whats to be together an get married then so be it. Thats there life.

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Why let gay men off the hook?

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by eNumbra
...but these unions may never be recognized by religious institutions and you can't force those institutions to recognize them or preform them.

Then that just adds to the ever-increasing irrelevance of organised religion in today's society. I will probably be hearing that it's proof that the world is getting more evil...but it's more likely that medieval belief patterns are finally catching up to the reality of the human condition.

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 10:57 PM
link   
First off the very last definition of gay in a dictionary from the 60s states immoral actions which is what you are asking is immoral actions OK by me

NO not today tomorrow or ever.

Man changes the meaning of words to dumb down those growing up from understanding the truth.

When you can get two male ends on an extension cord to stay together with out having to add, take away, or change anything in any way you will still have an unnatural action.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join