It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What are your views on Gay marriage?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Greensage
Marriage is an institution of the Church, it always has been.

What about marriages that are performed in city halls, parks, wherever, by non-clergypeople but between a heterosexual couple?

No one is trying to make churches perform gay marriages if it's against their belief system, any more than people are trying to make Catholic churches marry Jewish couples.

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 08:38 PM
link   
I'm not overly keen on the concept of marriage for anyone but, for those who want to do it, I think the option ought to be available.

Maybe we should all have more choice in the matter:

Marriage by religious ceremony

Marriage by civil ceremony

Civil Partnerships that don't stipulate a lifelong attachment

All these options would be equally valid and available to everyone regardless of their sexual orientation although, as eNumbra has pointed out, some religious organisations might not recognise or wish to perform gay marriages.

What matters, imo, is that the law recognises them.

And hopefully society will accept them too.

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mak Manto
You do realize that religious institutions are not the only institutions that can preform a marriage, correct?

Haven't you ever heard of a CIVIL MARRIAGE?

Gay marriage should be legal. I hope to God we see every state in our lifetime allow gay marriage to be legal.

You do realize that a number of states already have legal UNIONS between homosexual couples; give these the same legal recognition as Marriages (religious or civil) and you've solved the problem of Gays getting married and keeping the word "Marriage" sacred.

Both parties are happy.

Well most of them anyway; there will still be gay-bashers and activists calling for the dictionary definition of the word marriage to be changed: but such is the world.

[edit on 8/28/2010 by eNumbra]

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Homosexuals cannot get married. They can get a piece of paper by the state that says that they are "married" but they cannot "be" married. A man and a woman can be married because they can be united and recognized by God as being in a marriage union. This and because they can reproduce in the natural way.

A man and a man, or a woman and a woman, can only imitate some sort of relationship, but that's all. You can dress it all up and call it what you want, but it will never actually be marriage.

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 08:40 PM
link   
I think it's a State's right to define marriage.

However, I do not think we need another special class of people in legal terms. Gay marriage makes this special class of people by granting rights not normally associated to all people.

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Yes they should be allowed to marry, doesn't affect me or anyone else in the slightest if two gay people marry, the same also goes for polygamy btw...never understood why that is illegal, consenting adults...none of my business what they wish to do.

FromAbove...there are many atheists who are married and legally defined as such, whether it fits in with your religious views is irrelevant...plus many people are naturally born infertile and are heterosexual, so that argument means moot also.

[edit on 28-8-2010 by Solomons]

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 08:47 PM
link   

What are your views on Gay marriage?

I think it's gross and demeaning.

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Solomons

I brought up polygamy marriage activist working with Gay marriage activist on another site earlier. Seems like Gays would help out if we helped them out. I believe a man should have multiple spouses which I can have children by them. The FLDS sect of Mormonism call their other spouses plural or spiritual wives.

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

The marriage label should be retained for the traditional marriage because of the religious and cultural traditions associated with it .

But gay couples NEED a form of binding union to grant them equal rights . May be a civil union .

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Lostinthedarkness

That sounds about right. Marriage is a Christian invention, but it has roots in religion. Love is love and marriage is marriage. Does a ring say you love that person or your feelings do?

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Romantic_Rebel
Myself I don't support Gay marriage unless Polygyny becomes legal. This is just my opinion on this issue. I don't see why Gay's have to get married to love one another. Tell me your thoughts on this issue.

Do you support it for yourself?

If a law was past that denied you the right to marry - - would it matter to you?

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Yeah marriage is a religious ceremony and a contract on a piece of paper... They don't want marriage they just want the piece of paper.... If you have a union with someone it's just that if putting a label on it like marriage what are you doing? Nothing I don't think 2 people have to be linked by a ceremony...

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 09:04 PM
link   

reply to post by Lostinthedarkness

That sounds about right. Marriage is a Christian invention, but it has roots in religion. Love is love and marriage is marriage. Does a ring say you love that person or your feelings do?

Today Marriage (as in marriage license) is a government contract to protect rights and property of those joining together as one.

Is god or religion mentioned anywhere on this government license?

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 09:05 PM
link   

reply to post by Mak Manto

What is a civil marriage? Do marriages necessary have to make place in a religious temple? I do know their are chapels in Nevada.

A civil marriage is marriage performed by a government official and not a religious organization.

If a religious organization doesn't want a gay marriage to be preformed in their church, fine. But civil marriages can still occur.

Religious institutions DO NOT CONTROL the institute of marriage.

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Well yes it would. I see where your coming from on that.

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Gays are just people who are attracted to the same sex. With the exception of a handful of bi-sexuals sexual orientation isn't something that can be decided upon, they are born gay/straight. As such it is wrong to discriminate against them based on something they have zero control over. It is no different than racial or sexist discrimination.

While I agree that polygamy should be legalized I have no idea why you would think it should be connected to gay marriage. Gay marriage is being pushed for because of discrimination against gay couples, they would get equal rights... while NO polygamous group has any right to get married currently. I do think that consenting adults should be able to have multiple husbands/wives but the two issues aren't really connected and I think we should concentrate on equality before we take any further steps.

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 09:07 PM
link   
My views are it should be illegal

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Can a marriage performed in a church without a government "marriage license" - - grant the same legal rights an protections of the legal government contract "marriage license"?

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 09:10 PM
link   

The heart dictates the love . The ring is simply a symbol of our vows to each other . The ring with out my wife is just a piece of adornment for my finger . With out the ring our love is there as always . The act of the ceremony or lack of one would not have any difference on our relationship.

The security that is provided with getting married is a major concern for any couple .

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee
Can a marriage performed in a church without a government "marriage license" - - grant the same legal rights an protections of the legal government contract "marriage license"?

The license has to either come from a church or the government.

You have to have a license to marry, from one of the two.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join