It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hyperdeflation Has Begun

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Sky watcher

Apartments will be in demand. You would probably have to have good credit to get one.

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by nataylor
Coke, which is usually $4.69 for a 12-pack at my local grocery store, was on sale for 4 for $12. That's just $3 per 12 pack, a reduction of over 35%! I can only assume this means Coke will is going bankrupt and will shut down soon. The entire US economy will certainly follow within days.
No offense , but that is the most ridiculous thing I have heard this year.
Coke going bankrupt.
No
Maybe you should look them up a bit and see just how much of the worlds drinking water they actually sell, along with other products.

[edit on 29-8-2010 by Lil Drummerboy]

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 06:14 PM
link   
the deflation continues in assets, property, homes, Treasury bills return..

but the inflationary spiral accellerates for food, gas, more or less all the living necessities.

when hyper deflation becomes the new norm
then wages for any of the great unwashed will be maxed at minimum wage with NO benefits
and canned foods will be $2 or more per can of peas/spaghetti-O's and most everything else. & my cherished cases of beer will be $30,
cigaretts which i gave up a decage ago will push the $100 carton price(their now about $45 +tax here in SC) in the heart of tobacco land

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lil Drummerboy
No offense , but that is the most ridiculous thing I have heard this year.
Coke going bankrupt.
No
Maybe you should look them up a bit and see just how much of the worlds drinking water they actually sell, along with other products.

[edit on 29-8-2010 by Lil Drummerboy]

No offense but I think the poster was being sarcastic. Yes the economy is tanking. Yes here in Michigan you can buy a house that used to go for $100,000 for $30,000. The housing market was overinflated on purpose so you would have all your money tied up in it. The banksters stole all your wealth America because of the fractional reserve system they only had 10% in vested of real money in the loan you took out. So all the money you paid in went to the banks coffers, when they pushed to far the market crashed. They dont cars because they only had 10% of there own hard cash invested. The rest was on a computer hard drive.

Hyperdeflation may happen but its not here yet.

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by LoneGunMan

well I certainly hope the poster wasn't in belief of that,.
But some are not in a real understanding

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by LoneGunMan
Walmart does the same thing. It works like this:

The buyers of K-mart bought so many thousand of these bikes from the manufacturer. They sold enough of them to make the money back plus turn tidy profit. The bikes that are left over are pure profit. They need floor space for something else they got a deal on and its best to blow them out. They are not losing a dime but still making money selling them way less than what they bought them for because they already made profit plus on the others they sold.

All too easy.

What a ridiculous accounting system. When you buy in quantity you are paying $x per item, not $x for the whole order. They probably made a profit on the first shipment of stock and are selling the last of it at a loss.

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lil Drummerboy No offense , but that is the most ridiculous thing I have heard this year.
Coke going bankrupt.
No
I know. If they co under, think of how much we'll be hurting. It's probably all been planned out by TPTB. New Coke was the just the first of the Seven Seals being opened.

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by prophecywatcher

Today I went shopping at Staples (office supply store) and Trader Joe's (eclectic food store.)

Staples had stuff on blowout. Staples brand equivalent of Elmer's glue for 1 cent (for the first two.) I got a year's supply of post-it notes for 50 cents. Small whiteboards (8 1/2 x 11 inches) for 2.00 apiece.

Trader Joes had "back to school" sale items -- on food! I've never seen this at TJ.

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Well then "the way it works" is that sales are a lot slower than expected, because they had hoped to sell most of those items at a profit. They wish they had only bought 40,000 rather than 100,000. There's not just profit maximization on that item, there's the crossover effect to other items (people won't buy another item, instead substituting the sale item) and reputational effect (it forces you to lower prices generally.)

I just haven't seen such things for as long as I can remember, and that's quite a while.

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 10:25 PM
link   
If I bought 100 cantaloupes at 1.00 a piece...then sold 50 at 2.00 apiece, I have made my money back. Then, every melon I sell after that is money in my pocket...profit.

I know this because I have done this and do it now. Same with watermelons, and corn.... K-Mart does it with exercise bikes, and evrything else.

The other thing I know is that having talked to a friend that is a buyer for one of K-Mart's competitors, they can cut the retail price in half, then half again, then half again...and still make money.

I have worked in retail management for over 25 years for various companies, and the profit margins are unbelievable....

Target started putting food and groceries in their stores about 8 years ago...the avg customer..."guest" ...shops Target about 1-2 times a month. By converting them into a Target grocery shopper, they now shop 1-2 times a week.

The profits on food are minimal, but they figure you will buy shoes or pants or electronics with 300-500% markup.

Most retailers, when they have huge markdowns, do so to clean up and move out inventory...this is money tied up in back rooms and sales floors. This liquidates inventory into cash... plus, it turns into a loss leader and gets traffic into the stores to sell other wares at regular price....

for instance, bananas on sale...2lbs/$1...bet you buy some cereals or vanilla wafers for banana pudding. Hamburger at 99 cents a lb... tie in some hamburger buns, ketchup, mustard, pickles...charcoal...lighter fluid... made profit and then some.

As for inflation or deflation...I see signs for both, but mostly things are going up. I now help manage a feed and seed farm supply store...feed is going up, anything made of steel, plastic, rubber...going up. Fencing, plastic water/spray tanks, fertilizer.... all going up.

Further, in response to the economy...more new gardeners and livestock owners than ever seen before.... chickens and feed,goat feed, and electric fencing to keep deers out of gardens best sellers.

Plus, just talking with customers... there are a lot of scared, pissed off people out here....just sayin'

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Tell me when oil prices start hyper deflating. I'd like to get around town with better prices per gallon!!

[edit on 8/29/2010 by TheBloodRed]

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by oniongrass

Well then "the way it works" is that sales are a lot slower than expected, because they had hoped to sell most of those items at a profit. They wish they had only bought 40,000 rather than 100,000. There's not just profit maximization on that item, there's the crossover effect to other items (people won't buy another item, instead substituting the sale item) and reputational effect (it forces you to lower prices generally.)

I just haven't seen such things for as long as I can remember, and that's quite a while.

All items sold at a profit! They made a profit at every step. The reason for buying so many is that you get a huge discount especially from china because of shipping and slave labor you get a great deal on large quantity.

You mentioned an anchor item not being sold because of a blowout. This is really getting ridiculous that people are not getting this. When you have a blowout it brings more buyers into your store and they will buy the other items. Sometimes stores will have whats called a "loss leader" It is called that because the price is so low they lose money on it but it leads the customers into your store.

Until you understand merchandising in a modern global economy these ideas seem like they dont make sense/cents. They dont make cents they make millions of dollars chainwide.

I have done everything. From managing a department in a store to being a furniture salesman. From Car sales to being a loan officer. From a business consultant to a church consultant. From a Firefighter to a retail store owner.

I have been there. I know how it works.

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 11:49 PM
link   
guess the OP doesn't understand simple supply and demand in the retail markets.

when there is a high demand for items the price for said items rises.
when there is low demand for items the price for said items drops.

there is little to no demand for stuff that is not a necessity therefore the price of the junk is dropping.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 12:06 AM
link   
I think the website overstock.com is a perfect example of what you all are saying. You can buy as if in retail with reduced prices but not as if on ebay with name your price and auction set ups.

Another good example is with video games with their "Platinum Hits" or "Greatest Hits" versions of the same games. They are basically games that sold well enough to where they now can lower the price because a profit has been made.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Sir, you seem to think that those who don't agree with you, just don't understand.

Perhaps some understand some relevant things you don't understand, too. You haven't addressed what I wrote, you just kept repeating this.

I doubt they are making a profit on an individual unit selling an exercise machine at a 90% discount, especially as you say things made of steel are getting more expensive. Eh?

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Stores and people mark down objects they want to sell or get rid of. My own relatives sometimes give away things in their house by asking a price that is under 50 to 90 percent of what they paid for it just to sell it and get rid of it. Businesses do the same thing on occasion. I'm still waiting for the price of gasoline to drop back below $1.50 a gallon like it was just a few years ago. It's still above $2 a gallon which I once thought was a very high price. I'm not seeing the deflation yet. The dollar isn't worth as much as it used to be. Gas at one station dropped to $2.309 a gallon. The station was busy selling gas. The devalued currency I blame on all the politicians overspending in this administration and the past administration.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Mercenary2007

Why is there a low demand for these items? That is the question. They obviously had no trouble moving these exercise machines in the past. And with Christmas coming up, should'nt the price go up?

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 12:35 PM
link   

A loss leader is somewhat of a desperate measure, wouldn't you agree?

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 12:49 PM
link   
I found some more stuff marked down at Kmart. Now's the time to go shopping.

24" flat screen HD television $149.00 marked down from $300.00 1/2 price. There are also some dressers that are 1/2 price $29.99 marked down from $59.99. I just searched those two items and that's what I found.

I haven't bought a dresser in a while but to buy one brand new for around $30.00 is unbelievable.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 01:55 PM
link   
If you had taken business 101 or accounting 101 you would understand. Sales are done to liquidate overstock, to give back buying power to the company to get more in-demand products, for bankruptcy and/or to minimize taxes.

One poster was right that the profit is counted per item. If you sell 100 $50 items at $200 and another 100 at $40 you made a $14,000 profit but you can still count the last 100 as a $1,000 loss.

This is not secretive information. You just need a coupl of classes at community college to learn the "secret". The retail industy typically deals in 100% to 1,000% markups. Most of you "in the know" people would be shocked if you took a minute to really learn that Nordstrom's $150 shirts are sold for $150. The retail industry is worse than the oil industry at price gouging.

This is one of the most ridiculous threads on ATS. No offense but talk about jumping to conclusions. You scoured the internet for an exercise bike and TV as proof of deflation? You're going to have a heart attack on Black Friday. I hope either you're very young or you pay someone to shop for you.

Oh and candy prices on Nov 1st might make you start hyperventilating.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join