It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would you invest in an oil company?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Would you invest in an oil company? I am talking about big bucks. I have recently invested some money in an oil company which I think will be very successful in the future. Would any of you invest a lot of money in oil, even though your morals would go against it?

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 01:09 PM
link   
no thank you lol

i would invest in google right now tho

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Although a lot of people are against it I''ll say it's a very good investment, people will be relying on oil throughout your lifetime so I don't think the demand for it will diminish if anything it will only increase.... Reassur google would have been a good investment a couple years ago, not soo much anymore how about some borderlands?

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   
"Investing" in an oil company does almost nothing for them because they are worth so much.

Maybe if you start hitting the high millions you will start to have a much larger impact.

More than likely, the money you invest is like a vote for the presidency, but probably even less "significant".

Regardless of that, if I had little money or large sums of money to invest, from a couple thousand to a hundred million, I would invest in whatever I feel would be a good return - despite if it is an oil company or not.

But then again, if I was that rich, I would be trying to do more "good" than to continue multiplying my money.

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Maddogkull

Would you invest in an oil company?

If I had the money and was inclined to a minor gamble? Why not?

Like every go-round we have seen with the electric car, this time looks bound to the same end. There is just not enough market for the first generation of e-vehicles to make a more efficient next gen worth the effort to build.

Simply put, we are an impatient, self-absorbed society that demands perfection right away. There is no patience for doing with a little less in order to reach the promised land of an oil-free world. Until then... even if that thing called 'peak oil' is ever reached, there will still be money in the Vaseline jar.

Now yes, I do know that oil is not popular right now and neither are those dastardly oil companies. But you did ask about investment, meaning as an avenue to make money and for that, I might consider it. Money is dirty and so are the majority of the ways to make a lot of it.

If your wish is to discuss issues of character and moral compass, we would have to go another route, lol.

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Yep. I would, and have, and will continue to do so.

Oil companies, BP's recent travails to the contrary, are, IMHO, sound investments.

So the answer, from me, is yes.

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Everyone in this discussion if not investing, is using products of the oil companies. Unless of course you are on the new all metal computer, sitting on cotton, with no makeup, no shoes; unless they are leather, etc etc etc.

Hell, if you have a 401k, you probably have investments in the oil industry.

Oil is used to make pretty much every material in your house that is not of another natural material.

You do know that oil is natural. It has been around for quite some time.

A lot of scientists, the majority actually, believe that it has been around since the beginning of the planet.

Smossil fuels. Funny how hydrocarbons are present on other planets. Hmmm, must have been some T Rexes up dare, don't you know aye.

Yes, I would invest in them. They are stable, except for a couple years ago where the value skyrocketed on purpose.

Wonder why I think it was intentional. Just prior to the market and housing debacle, vast amounts of money was made off the price fixing in the oil industry. Almost like the perfect storm was created.

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 05:51 PM
link   
No, I would not buy stock offered by an oil company. I highly doubt anything in the market can even come close to the returns I get with my money else where.

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Maddogkull

every time i turn the key.

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maddogkull
Would you invest in an oil company? I am talking about big bucks. I have recently invested some money in an oil company which I think will be very successful in the future. Would any of you invest a lot of money in oil, even though your morals would go against it?

Well that is how we got here.

Billionaires putting lots of money into fossil fuels, and then they
seek to expand their profits and back corporations peddling
influence over politics.

Money and Power get you most of the things in the world.

One might sum it up by saying if you see all the other rich ppl
doing it then it will likely make you rich too unless some
unforeseen event happens.

Even if Fusion is made cheaply via Dense Plasma Fusion it will
be awhile before it largely displaces fossil fuels.

Even if ppl start using Algae Oil to grow oil on non-arable land
it will take a lot of time to ramp it up and at this time it looks
like they are being blocked from expanding beyond prototype.

So if money is your top priority then look at what the rich do,
not at what they say and you can like make money off the
system too.

Just have to research the risk level of their projects such as
what BP went thru.

[edit on 28-8-2010 by Ex_MislTech]

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 06:26 PM
link   
I would say that if you are wanting to make money, don't put what you have in the market. There are better ways to put your money to use!

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 05:00 PM
link   
NO, I wouldn't since people are converting their cars and trucks to run on water. Here's a 94 Dodge with all schematics and plans running on the hydrogen from 100% water! Please let everybody know, the oil economy is a SCAM of the new world order!

www.project.nsearch.com...

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Investing in oil and such to me is a difficult moral dillema. I'd say no but then again I'm not very material even though my salary would say I should be, investments are not my gig and stocks and shares seem like a gamble full stop and don't seem logical, especially as these days there are so many people at it full time, even from home. I just think investing on a small scale makes you an also ran and inevitably the power plays are done by the big investment houses and they're crooks. Doesn't make much sense to me unless you like gambling or enjoy the ride.

Once in a while a very worthy and novel company comes up with something and it'd be great to invest in them from the start but often they get bought out don't they. I admire the likes of Nick Park (of Wallace and Grommet fame) for holding off Pixar and Disney for so long, he has big balls and belief and look at the stuff he does, incredible. Not many like him that refuse to sell out and to me, I hate it when integrity is lost and just lose faith in decent companies that bend over for a big sellout. Cynical and easy to say when not owning a company like any of those but it's how I see it. I just admire people who don't sell out and believe.

top topics

join