It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

News: Iran still undesisive on stoning woman. Europe takes a stance?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 01:05 PM
link   
I came across this article, and the thing that bothers me is that apparantly Europe is being coersed into reprimanding Iran. Could this be a bit gamechanging as in Europe will no longer stay on friendly foot with Iran?

source: uk.news.yahoo.com...

snipet

Iran said on Saturday that it has yet to take a final decision on the stoning of a woman convicted of adultery and complicity in her husband's murder in a case that has sparked an international outcry.

I really dont see Iran chickening out and letting the woman off with prison. Will Europe as a whole be pressured into this? I wonder what will come of these developments..

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 01:10 PM
link   
I just saw the news in the Netherlands and this case is also getting its fair share of human rights attention down here... Nothing major as far as I can tell but the message is definetely being spread.

To be honest and without wanting to insult I cant really see what the big fuzz is all about, hasn't Iran been doing this for ages already? Aren't there other country's with more pressing problems then this isolated case? I wonder if there is more to this issue then meets the eyes.... Anybody know the driving body behind this "Human rights" institute?

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   
its their culture

do I think its wrong? yes, but its their freaking culture

they will take some time to evolve, because this was part of their life for so many times

its all about CULTURE

people in the US kill themselves by creating false flag operations, and nobody says anything, since the media in the US is completely controlled ...

illegal wars, torture ...

each one with its culture

I just find amazing how hypocrite people really are

[edit on 28/8/10 by Faiol]

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Faiol

Whoopdi Do. Who cares if it is their culture. These are human lives we are talking about; getting stoned for stupid reasons. No one deserves getting stoned for adultery or theft, which is retarded. Can you really trust a upcoming nuclear power, if they are still using tactics people did in the 11th century? Uncivilized people with weapons...... They need to change their ways to survive in the world today.

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 02:01 PM
link   
What about Saudi Arabia?

You are allowed to stick needles and nails into your foreign housekeeper to torture them for complaining they are overworked. When the housekeeper's government complains to the Saudi's, they ignore it.

Lets stop picking and choosing, and condemn all of these horrible practises collectively.

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Maddogkull

I agree but The point is... why do we bother? they need to grow by themselves, one can offer advice but forcing it down their throats is gonna be counterproductive at best.

What I am wondering is why is this human rights group so focused on this case? It hasn't been the first and it wont be the last... Is the timing of it all a bit convenient? This is off-course speculation but what if TPTB is now openly pitting Europe vs Iran?

Iran isn't to fond of America or Israel, but from what I understand, Europe wasn't ranking high in their hit list. This case could turn that around. So what this could mean is that if/when Israel finally does what we all expect them to do in the foreseeable future, Europe will be dragged along that much faster..

I just find it a bit weird, why now? what's different in this case when compared to other atrocities practiced regularly? Off-course we're talking about Iran here... but wait, its not the US condemning Iran this time but its Europe..

I know Europe has condemned Iranian actions before but it hasn't received similar media-coverage before...

[edit on 28/8/2010 by faceoff85]

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Maddogkull

They need to change their ways to survive in the world today.

No they need to be friends with Western Governments.

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Human rights only ever becomes a serious political issue when its a good mechanism to get the public worked up in outrage against an 'enemy'.

As the previous poster pointed out Saudi Arabia does things as bad and it barely makes a ripple since the Saudi regime falls into the 'useful stooge' category.

DARFUR anybody? (racism and genocide). Was the west keen to wade in and sort it? No.

Yes, stoning people is stupid and barbaric. No, its none of our business. We cannot civilise the world. Pretending we are in that business when it suits us for other reasons is hypocrisy.

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maddogkull
reply to post by Faiol

Whoopdi Do. Who cares if it is their culture. These are human lives we are talking about; getting stoned for stupid reasons. No one deserves getting stoned for adultery or theft, which is retarded. Can you really trust a upcoming nuclear power, if they are still using tactics people did in the 11th century? Uncivilized people with weapons...... They need to change their ways to survive in the world today.

What ? Americans don't kill cheating spouses ? Cheaters end up dead or missing quite often don't they ? Nobody deserves to be stoned ? but I guess stabbing or shooting is more humane . Ok it's public and not private but the outcome is the same . My recomendation to throwing stones is don't do it when you are inside a glasshouse .It is the darkside of human nature , not culture . By the way this was also in the hebrew culture too was it not ? Modern Isreali's still stone Palistinians to death .This is about how far humans have fallen not cultures .Don't make it something it's not , no country is clean .

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Although I don't agree with their method, it's their method and really I don't think anyone besides the people who live there should decide to change it... Wasn't the last woman who was supposed to be stoned sleeping with the guy who knowing murdered her husband??? To me that sounds more like a conspiracy than an adultry charge...

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by 13th Zodiac

THE GOVERNMENT DOES NOT KILL PEOPLE FOR ADULTERY OR THEFT. In the western countries at least. People hardly get the death penalty for murder, yet in the Middle East countries it is normal. Why, because it all has to do with their religion mostly.

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 07:55 PM
link   

THE GOVERNMENT DOES NOT KILL PEOPLE FOR ADULTERY OR THEFT. In the western countries at least. People hardly get the death penalty for murder, yet in the Middle East countries it is normal. Why, because it all has to do with their religion mostly.

True that all ended after the Inquisition.

The witch burnings were bad for morale, and the other brand of
religion moderated a bit.

Islam is going thru one of its insanity phases, just like we have idiots
screaming "god hates fags" at funerals here.

No shortage of idiots.

Here in the west we discovered that killing should be done in the
name of profit and thus why Eisenhower warned of the
Military Industrial Complex on the way out of office.

JFK tried to shut them down and got lead poisoning.

The west has its own form of evil, and it is more in line with greed
than with god.

A former marine corp general said War is a racket and he did not want
to be a gangster for capitalism anymore.

I can't blame him.

[edit on 28-8-2010 by Ex_MislTech]

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 11:44 PM
link   

www.jpost.com...

Separation of state and religion ? There is a article in the Jerusalem Post right now with a story about a jew who is getting 9 lashes from the Rabbi's for playing music to a mixed sex audiance .Thats just as backward as your primative remarks about Iran in your first post singling them out . I am saying that all countries are messed up , so don't turn this into a culture smear .I mean look at Burma , India , Pakistan they are all different cultures but similar problems .Just don't single out one nation and smear it's culture .As for the Government it is not the one who is stonning this woman , it is ordered by the religious leaders . The Iranian Goverment is looking into interfering .So this has nothing to do with the Iranian Goverment .If your pushing the axis of evil mantra for Iranian regime change based on that arguement you fail .

[edit on 28-8-2010 by 13th Zodiac]

new topics

top topics

join