It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Red Growth in my Birdbath & Dog's Water Dish

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 10:18 AM
link   
A red growth (algae or fungus?) has been appearing off and on in my birdbath and dog's water dish since spring. I haven't had it tested - just scrub it clean.

Then I saw this post: River runs red in The Rockies, and now I'm wondering.

...The official explanation for red-running rivers is Argolite sediment - but red "argolite" can't be found...

Has anyone else found a red growth on containers with standing water?

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

I have the same red growth in my bird bath. Acorns from an oak tree fall into it and I have not filled it other than when it rains since I have adopted a stray cat.....it is a very efficient hunter. There is also red mulch underneath and around the birdbath......

I live in Florida, and every once in a while, the red color will appear in the animals water bowl as well. But the color in the bowl is usually green.

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Next time it happens,scoop out a sample in a glass,then put cling film over it,and chuck it in a dark place,box or cupboard for a week or so.

If its algae of some sort,it should die without air and light,which may change the colour of the water I think.

Maybe its some kind of airbourne/rain bourne dust?

If it is,it will stay the same color after a week in the dark I rekon(if its some kind of stone dust,rather than algae).

Also,maybe PH test a sample of the water before and after it goes red,you can get a cheapo PH test kit from any garden type store.

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Depending on where you live...here midwest USA SW Missouri..

Wild cherry trees and many local flora is being dropped by birds "droppings" and can easily make any clear water a colored bath...so to say..

Blue berries and cherrys at the moment give my small contained water here...a purple color...from blue berries and wild cherries...but it is neet when one pool is missed and I have blue water here...purple water over there...and red water by my bird feeders...

other wise it could be like the previous poster claimed...and could easily be acorns, and seed pods naturally coloring the water...
Hope I helped.....see ya on da boards...

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 11:05 AM
link   
It's Haematococcus pluvialis. This is common in bird baths. But a bird bath should be cleaned often or not used at all. Don't want to cause more harm to the birds than if you didn't put the bird bath out in the first place.

Source:
www.microscopy-uk.org.uk...

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Could be this:

www.edenprairie.org...

We have the same problem here. This is the answer I got.

However, it did not happen until we had a water shut off while they were working in the neighborhood. Then, afterward, the pink stuff (which varies from pink to red) was showing up.

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 11:38 AM
link   

the cats outdoor water bowl, gets the rain run off from the roof,

the 5 gallon water jug with a funnel in the spout collects the same roof runoff.... and these containers tend to get greener in 12-36 hours

the small bird bath just gets replenished from the 5 gallon jug
and have not seen any red tint or growth yet

the dogs bowl gets shared by dogs & cats inside, and their water was filtered via the 'BRITA'

i've always heard that its the ancient NYC water pipes that make the NY Pizza unique,

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 12:02 PM
link   
It sounds like algae growing. Here's what to do: once a week use 1/4
cup of bleach in birbath, fountains, dog bowel for 30 minutes to kill the
? . It will kill anything growing on those surfaces. Rinse with clean water
toroughly and then you can wash with soap, rinse, and refill.
Birds poop out stuff whch can give people black spot on their lungs, don't let small children drink out of a bird bath. Call the poison control number to ask what to do. It is best to dump bird bath water out if you have small
children, the birds carry all kinds of diseases.
I think deer and cyote drink out of a fountain I have in my yard, because all of a suden the water level drops vastly overnight sometimes.

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   

What you have is known as red tide, it is an algea, in the rockies it probably is not; as it predominantly grows in the south where waters are warmer and for it to grow in your dog dish and birdbath, it would have(spores) to be in the air. Meaning it would have to be growing in bodies of water nearby to you.

[edit on 28-8-2010 by ldyserenity]

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Here you go en.wikipedia.org... hope this helps you. I have seen it myself form in a dog bowl as well.

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 12:36 PM
link   
I've noticed this recently a few times in the last month. I have had a shower before work and when I come home before having another shower I've seen that same sounding substance on the floor of the shower....

plus after we had some decent rains here in Newcastle NSW Australia the other week I noticed small pools of water after the rain had stopped outside my house that left a red stain....

tried to get a sample of it but every time I have the water never goes red or dosnt dry up red

Be kind of interested to know what it is considering I'm having toasty hot showers and that water is becoming dense vapor that I'm breathing in.....

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by suigeneris
Could be this:

www.edenprairie.org...

We have the same problem here. This is the answer I got.

Thanks everyone! ...I thought it was algae but suigeneris link sounds right.

Silicone synapse - will do. JenRecluse - thought maybe, not tho...

BTW - the dog dish is inside, the bird bath outside - I fill both from the tap, clean both regularly, sometimes with bleach and soap (but sometimes get lazy). The red stuff in the bird bath started appearing after a spring rain, in the dog dish maybe a month later. ...The birds won't use the bath if the growth is there - I also have a pond / waterfall they prefer that doesn't get the growth

Thanks again,
sofi

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Try dropping in a copper pipe fitting. Or even a few "wheat" pennies. Copper is an algicide, and it doesn't take much. Keeps my birdbath clean, and doesn't provide anything near a toxic level. I've had the same piece of copper in my (heated for the winter) birdbath, and it lasts for years, even when it weathers.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 05:18 AM
link   
Dear All

A little off topic and for that I apologise but someone hopefully will find this useful.

Please do not be tempted to use Bleach to "clean" bowls or anything else. Firstly, bleach (Hypochlorite solution) does not kill everything it touches as one poster suggested until a concentration of 1500ppm is achieved and at that concentration your eyes will be watering and you DO NOT want to mess with it.
Secondly no-one should use disinfectant materials (bleach) for cleaning purposes they are not up to the job.

The easiest and most pragmatic solution is also the most boring, clean it with normal detergent, warm water and a scrub with a brush. This will clean the surface far more effectively than application of bleach can even dream of.

I know a lot of bleach products are sold to us for use in the bathrooms and toilets in our houses, but think on this. What better way to make money can you think of than to sell you something someone tells you you must have and then advises you to pour it down the toilet or sink unit!!!!

I wish I had started that scam I would be rich right about now.

Associating clean with the smell of bleach is a great marketting tool and I wish I had thought of it.

On a side note disinfectant materials should only be used when the surface they are being used on is already clean, some companies have tried to get past this "golden rule" by creating a class of products that does neither job well, these they call sanitizers? And we buy them by the billions!!!!!

Anyway apologies for the off topic post but safety first eh!!!

Back on topic, if the bowl is clean nothing will grow in it simple as that.

When it gets dirty and provides a nutrient source for the bacteria or algae then they will grow. Clean equates with no growth, anyone who has a dog knows that if they refill a dirty bowl without cleaning it the cloudy water returns within a few hours.

Long time since my last post so welcome back me ..!!!!!

top topics

join