It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Riot police tackle missiles at English Defence League protest in Bradford

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 04:31 PM
link   
What I find most interesting about the whole EDL saga is that wherever they go the "Unite Against Fascism" group follows them (isn't fascism when the corporations take over?), it predictably gets a bit heated between the two opposing groups and then the media just blame all of the trouble on those "racist thugs" in the EDL.

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Silcone Synapse

Mighty fine young chaps with a valid point-or a baying mob of chav hooligans?

You decide.

Fair qoute. But consider this, Oppressive police force, people defending their right to protest.

Let us suppose someone produced a photo of a baying crowd of men of majority 'asian' appearance. 'Muslims in protest of extremism' confront police.

Or... Muslim extremists in protest of (insert reason here)

For the critics, (insert reason here) could be USA invasion of Iran. I think you get my point?

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 05:34 PM
link   
As an actual Brit, London born, I can confirm that the EDL is just another antagonistic group of predominantly overweight, angry, misinformed, uneducated right-wing fanatics who have nothing better to do with their lives than read tabloid trash and swallow every bit of it.

I can also confirm that UAF is a group of fanatical, PC driven, meddling, reactionary idiots with nothing better to do with their time than try to convince other people who have an opinion that they don't agree with that they are the ones who are wrong.

Saying the EDL is protesting Muslim extremists is nonsense. They target predominantly Islamic communities to cause tension and racial hatred. Where are these "extremists" they're combating? How is protesting doing anything to limit or prevent extremism?

They attack Islamic communities wherever they like under this fantasy of "defending" England.

If anything, England needs defending FROM these people and their misguided and delusional beliefs!

They do not deserve to be recognised as English and I feel ashamed of my country every time I see them going on another racially motivated protest on our streets.

Having said that, they have a right to their opinion. I don't agree with it and I can feel ashamed of them being fellow Brits, but I cannot stop them from voicing their opinion, however pathetically simplistic and idiotic that opinion is.

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Why were they protesting in Bradford?, was it just to whip up a bit of trouble or was there a particular grievance like a new Mosque being built? I believe it was just to whip up some tension in the area. i can understand legititmate protest about a potential super Mosque, but to just go to an area where there is a high Muslim population seems like provocation to me

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 03:13 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

Why shouldn't they protest in Bradford should be the question you are asking.

Is this or is this not an alleged free and democratic country or does that only apply for the politicially correct?

EDL followed due legal procedure and were granted permission, where is the problem?

[edit on 29/8/10 by Freeborn]

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 03:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Silcone Synapse

Have you bothered to even consider the point they are trying to make or are you happy pre-judging and stereotyping people?

UAF broke through the police cordon and tried to attack EDL.
EDL retaliated, what do you expect them to do?

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 03:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

Because, the EDL is meant to be protesting militant Islam in the UK, by focusing their protest on Bradford, it makes it clear their issue is not just with militant Islam, but all Muslims. As I said, I can understand a protest of a new mosque. But to assemble a protest in Bradford, singing derogatory songs about Muslims, just because there is a high muslim population. I believe in free speech and the right to protest. Just not really sure why they felt they needed to parade through Bradford inciting the locals.

All these EDL members take a trip up to Bradford for a Saturday whip up some racial tension in the area then leave and head back to where they came, leaving the residents of Bradford to deal with the problems created.

There is a problem with militant Islam and the intergration of muslims into the wider society, I just dont see how having the EDL is going to help improve this situation. .In fact it will only make things worse.

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 03:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Chevalerous

As I have said before the EDL is a popular front. It therefore has a mix of types all linked to the single issue of wjhatever they believe (English culture is being supplanted by Muslim culture). Whatever they exactly believe is best judged from their website. But EDL is not a party so its stratgies are not so clearly defined.

Popular fronts are of recruiting grounds for various parties who see themselves as fellow travellers.

The Fringe politics if littered with various parties who have split from various others. Everyone wants to be the next Fuhrer or Trotsky. Of course the leader gets to be rockstar for the day!

I am writing in a generalised method to get general ideas across.

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 03:46 AM
link   
reply to post by detachedindividual

How do EDL 'attack Muslim communities'?

They hold a few marches here and there to try and raise awareness of the dangers of Muslim extremism.
That is their opinion and they have a legal right to express it.

They haven't attacked anyone!

UAF have repeatedly illegally counter protested EDL marches and are repeatedly provocative and antagonistic.
EDL has never held an illegal march or counter protest.

Of course I would be naive if I didn't accept that there are footall hooligan elements in EDL, but I fail to understand the relevance.

EDL are a single issue group who are intent on peaceful protest.

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 03:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

"They hold a few marches here and there to try and raise awareness of the dangers of Muslim extremism."

Well actually By "here and there" you mean Moslem communities Like Bradford and the Birmingham mosque area!

That is their opinion and they have a legal right to express it." I agree with you there

"They haven't attacked anyone!" I don't know about Bradford but theyhave in the West midlands and the police have several photos of EDL followers who they want to find for violence one of them black.

That is the reality

[edit on 29-8-2010 by Tiger5]

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 04:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Tiger5

EDL march in places where there is concern about the activities of Muslim extremists.
They follow due legal procedure and when they have been refused the right to march they have followed that order.
UAF have repeatedly been refused permission to counter yet they have preceeded to illegally counter march and are deliberately aggressive and provocative.
That the EDL retaliate is hardly surprising.
EDL do not counter protest UAF marches or rally's.

The reporting on this by MSM shows what can best be described as biased and at worst a blatant disregard for the truth in their efforts to portray EDL as evil, nazi worhipping fascists, which they most definately are not.

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 04:49 AM
link   
The problem is, these groups will always attract members of the far right which will be highlighted by the media. Strong language contained in video.

[edit on 29-8-2010 by woodwardjnr]

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 05:22 AM
link   

Of course there are right wing extremists within EDL.
But the vast majority are not.
There are black members of EDL.
There are Asian members of EDL.
There are even MUSLIM members of EDL.

www.dailystar.co.uk...

I am sure that if any reporter wanted to make a film portraying EDL as peaceful law abiding citizens they could do.
It all depends on what bias an individual wishes to portray.
That is hardly a balanced report.

I am also certain that it would be equally easy to portray UAF as Class War Anarchists and bomb loving terrorist supporters, which I'm sure the majority aren't.
Or are they?

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 05:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn

And like most working class British males they love fighting, they live in environments where the ONLY male characteristic that matters is how hard you are, how big your balls are.

Because they are err ill educated they easily fall for pathetic propaganda so believe they are part of a crusade, they are the early joiners, they see what cometh and they are ready for tribal war.

I know these guys they're dumb and like fighting, is all the edl is.

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 05:41 AM
link   

www.dailystar.co.uk...

I am sure that if any reporter wanted to make a film portraying EDL as peaceful law abiding citizens they could do.
It all depends on what bias an individual wishes to portray.
That is hardly a balanced report.

I am also certain that it would be equally easy to portray UAF as Class War Anarchists and bomb loving terrorist supporters, which I'm sure the majority aren't.
Or are they?

What happens though is that the most extreme elements on both sides are the ones that shout the loudest and attract the attention and in the process lose the original message.

I'm sure most of the EDL is just made up of disenfranchised working class lads who no longer feel they have a voice and who's views have been sidelined, but is that really the Muslims fault or is it the system and the governments fault?

I just dont see how these protests will do anything other than alienate more muslims and turn more of the young ones militant, which is surely counter productive.

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 05:42 AM
link   

Have you bothered to even consider the point they are trying to make or are you happy pre-judging and stereotyping people?

UAF broke through the police cordon and tried to attack EDL.
EDL retaliated, what do you expect them to do?

Ok I wasn't there,and yes I have considered their point-It just seems that every march they set up ends in some kind of confrontation with the police,as is what seems to be happening in the Photo I posted.

Of course thats only one picture-other events could have been taking place,but can find no photographic evidence of it.

There are better ways to go about achieveing your aims than throwing rocks and screaming at the police IMO.

Not that I am defending the UAF-I think they are just as bad,and are probably state sponsored IMO.

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 05:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Thepreye

You know them all?

You are all knowing and they are just the ignorant, dirty unwashed whose opinions are irrelevant?

EDL supporters come from all walks of life and are voicing the concerns of a large section of society.

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 05:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Silcone Synapse

the UAF-I think they are just as bad,and are probably state sponsored IMO.

Certainly infiltrated all the way up, probably got mi5 guys making files on unknown SB guys and visa versa, with local SOC guys trying to figure who the spooks are and who are the radicals.

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 05:52 AM
link   

Every march ends in confrontation because UAF illegally counter protest and act aggressively and provocatively.

UAF marches pass off peacefully because EDL obey the law and do not counter protest.

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 05:54 AM
link   

So for fear of alienating more Muslims you prefer to alienate more non-Muslims?

Edit: Grammer and clarification.

[edit on 29/8/10 by Freeborn]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join