It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australians warned over visiting Northern Ireland!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Australians warned over visiting Northern Ireland!

www.bbc.co.uk

The Australian government has issued advice to people travelling to Northern Ireland following recent trouble.

Its Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade said it is due to an upsurge in dissident republican attacks and parade related riots.

Australian citizens have been told they could inadvertently get caught up in violence.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.irishtimes.com

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Had to laugh at this. Fairly ridiculous, and needlessly over cautious. It is pretty damn easy to avoid trouble in Northern Ireland, and the country is certainly not at the level of instability experienced during the dark days of the Troubles. Or even towards the end of the nineties!

This will certainly not to any favours for the Northern Irish economy which is struggling as it is. Tourism is a massive source of revenue for Northern Ireland which has switched from a previously industrial based economy to mainly services.

If you are planning a trip to Northern Ireland, my advice is go ahead. There is a loads of beautiful scenery, unique landscapes, charming and friendly people, and more than a wealth of history and culture!

The ridiculous material in it's original form;

www.smartraveller.gov.au...

www.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Not just the Aussie government apparently the US has issued several warnings too;

The United States bureau of consular affairs said: “US citizens travelling to Northern Ireland should remain alert to their surroundings and should be aware that if they choose to visit potential flashpoints or attend parades, sporadic violence remains a possibility”.

I really don't see why this is necessary? Just another opportunity to scare people I suppose. It's not as though they are legally required to disclose all possible risks to their citizens before they travel. In case someone has a bad trip and sues their government for not being fully informed!

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 06:44 PM
link   
What about Canadians?

And wow, any group that attack's citizens needs to rethink their approach to what ever they are doing.

EDIT:spelling

[edit on 27-8-2010 by gandhi]

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 07:14 PM
link   
The only people wh should have probs in NI is us English... The rest gave money to blow my mates legs off for problems caused by SCOTTISH farmers...

As someone whoserved during the troubles, imsure those lepracauns will show up soon with loads of gold to kick start the economy

Screw em... a minor irrittant at worst...

The last thing NI needs is a bunch of battle hardend troops from afganistan shooting at ducks in a very small pond..

Sort it out NI or regress back to idiotic wankers

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Amazing

truly frankly amazing

I spent 4 years of my life in the 1980s living and studying in L/Derry - and im a Brit

Now you get travel advisements - long after the true troubles are quelled ?

I think the NI tourist office has some work to do - the marching season is now well past and to be honest - the trouble only really starts when its warm.

Please Ignore the idiot interns who know no better - the Northern Irish are the most hospitable people i know

If you want a few points of beauty to visit please feel free to U2U me - and please please dont believe the media/govt speak to those who know!

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 07:24 PM
link   
It get fishyer by the day.... This is unbelieveable to be honest there is no risk or threat to anybody what so ever travelling to N.I.. I really cant believe this.. It is no more dangerous than london dublin or glasgow.. You wont get blown up for shure.. maby robbed or pick pocketed like in any city... These attacks have been on securaty forces and the police.. the goverment.. usually outside bomb proof police stations in the middle of the night.. There attacks at the goverment or by the goverment either way its all staged...

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 07:32 PM
link   
i think maybe the brits shudent go but the rest are safe i would think, but anyways i love the irish and i hope they get true freedom. free ireland!

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 07:35 PM
link   
I hope this isn't inside knowledge behind this warning, it does seem very odd, excessive, just your every day street violence in a city such as London is statistically far more dangerous.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 08:38 PM
link   
It is no more dangerous than any other city in the world..

I dont understand these attacks at all, nothing seemed right from the start.. who are these disidents? What would they gain from starting up the troubles? I find it hard to believe der objective is a United Ireland.. This is something different but there is an agenda.. sombody has something to gain...

Who?

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 11:33 PM
link   
This warning is all but another useless reminder of an over-politically correct and lawsuit minded government wishing to cover it's own arse, rather than being in touch with reality.

Take for example a few days ago when a rogue, mentally-disturbed policeman randomly held a bus at hostage in Manila. The bus happened to have Hong Kong citizens on board.

The perpetrator had nothing against tourists or citizens of any country, and it was a random act in the big scheme; he was pissed off at his (Filippino) employers. But due to this one-off act, many governments from around the region quickly issued warnings not to travel to the Phillippines.

Why? Not because the place had suddenly become unstable. And nor would this situation likely to happen again.

It's laughable almost.

I can guarantee the warning in the OP cost hundreds of thousands of dollars in government resources, 'groupthinking', and bad judgement from a dedicated group of people who have nothing better to do than to justify their own employment.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 11:58 PM
link   
This sounds like backlash to some of Ireland's stances against the Eu...perhaps even related to their refusal to up hold the Eu's sharing of information with Israel...

I am a huge fan of Ireland in recent events and will visit them if and when I have the opportunity...forthwith...

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 12:08 AM
link   
If I go there I'll just wear a boxing kangaroo t-shirt. Sorted!

IRM

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 06:34 AM
link   
Thanks for the replies folks I'm glad I'm not the only one thinks this is ridiculous.

The last thing NI needs is a bunch of battle hardend troops from afganistan shooting at ducks in a very small pond..

You're not wrong there it is a policing matter to resolve, with the aid of central intelligence. Part of Tony Blair's legacy was bringing the troops home from NI and I don't see them going back anytime soon. Although we do have a Tory government now, some of whom are very afraid of a dissident attack.

As for the leprechauns they rarely offer money freely, you have to catch them first!

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 06:34 AM
link   
This is just part of a smear "campaign" against "troublemakers" in Ireland. It is meant to make you fear people, as if they are dangerous rabid animals out of control wanting to violate you and your freedom-loving family

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Ireland Welcomes You!

Be safe be well

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 07:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Securus
i think maybe the brits shudent go but the rest are safe i would think, but anyways i love the irish and i hope they get true freedom. free ireland!

True freedom?
What's that?

The Irish are as free as any of us are.

top topics

join