It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iranian Journalist Sues Nokia and Siemens for Helping Iranian Dictators Spy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 05:24 PM
link   
So considering the anti-Iran sentiment held by the MSM I am quite surprised that this story has not been more widely reported.

Anyway it is a story you may have missed, I know I did. It sounds like whatever your view of the Iranian government this man was treated appallingly whilst imprisoned. Now forever being someone who likes a pinch of salt with his news, I will not treat this story any different.

Journalist Isa Saharkhiz of Iran is suing Nokia and Siemens in U.S. federal court claiming the European companies facilitated his capture and torture at the hands of the Iranian government. Saharkhiz, a one-time reporter for the Islamic Republic News Agency and founding member of the Society for the Defense of Freedom of the Press, was thrown into prison and subjected to abuse, he says, which included serving 80 days in solitary confinement and having his ribs broken.

Saharkhiz says he worked as a reporter for the government-controlled Islamic Republic News Agency before becoming the founding member of the "outspoken" Society for the Defense of Freedom of the Press. The Society fought the "relentless censorship" of the Iranian regime, until the government barred him from working for it for a year after a "sham trial" in 2003.

This is certainly not the first time Nokia and Siemens have been involved in a spying scandal is Iran. In 2009 accusations were made that both companies had been helping Iran spy on the activity of the country's Internet users.

This was done via a monitoring centre which the Iranian government had purchased from Nokia and Siemens which basically allows government agents to perform deep packet inspection. This gives authorities the power to do everything from blocking communications to gathering information about users. This spying was of course ramped up around the time of the disputed re-election of Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, having been used only sporadically until this point.

I find it interesting that Isa Saharkhiz chose to file his lawsuit via proxy to the US, and I'm fairly certain that they would have bitten his hand off for the opportunity.

Original article;

www.allgov.com...

Additional news sources;

www.courthousenews.com...

www.allgov.com...

www.where-is-my-vote.org...

Related thread;

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 27-8-2010 by Big Raging Loner]

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Big Raging Loner
I find it interesting that Isa Saharkhiz chose to file his lawsuit via proxy to the US, and I'm fairly certain that they would have bitten his hand off for the opportunity.

Why not? The US is the home of the BS lawsuit. I just read that some family is suing SeaWorld because their 10 year old son was traumatized when that killer whale killed the trainer.

This guy suing Nokia and Siemens is like Rosie O'Donnell suing the spoon company for making her fat.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Well if the US is the home of the BS lawsuit, then the UK is the caravan holiday spot!

Trust me it is just as crazy here nowadays too. 'Claim culture' as it's known.

The UK would have been a good proxy for the lawsuit too given the history. I find it interesting that no action has been taken to contact the UN?

Instead they are trying to sue the companies who were essentially, just doing what contemporary communication companies do best. I will be watching the case closely. Or as closely as I can given the lack of coverage...

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 06:40 PM
link   
I wasn't aware that Iran had a dictator. In fact, the Iranians revolted against their last dictator, the Shah, who just happened to be American installed and backed.

This man went to prison and served 80 days in the whole, a few broken ribs and made it out in otherwize good shape? He is complaining about this? Try going to prison here in America! I know people in Texas who were imprisoned for victimless crimes, spent much more time in the hole and had far worse injuries than a few broken ribs.

Does this mean that America is part of the "Axis of Evil" too?

--airspoon

[edit on 27-8-2010 by airspoon]

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by jerico65
This guy suing Nokia and Siemens is like Rosie O'Donnell suing the spoon company for making her fat.

Your analogy, although kina funny, is majorly flawed and I will tell you why..when you purchase a spoon, you know that it will be used to EAT. If you overindulge, then its your own fault and you got no one to blame but yourself. Purchasing a Nokia or Siemens however, is done with the intention of communication, not having your privacy breached.

Nokia and Siemens knowingly provided such technology to the Iranian regime who is well known for violationg human rights. At the very least these companies violated their corporate social responsibility(not sure if that even exists anymore). So I think this is not a BS lawsuit and there is some merit to it, however I don't think it will go far since the actions of nokia and Siemens did not take place on American soil.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by airspoon

Does this mean that America is part of the "Axis of Evil" too?

No first you need to be suspected of developing nuclear weapons... Oh I see...

You are certainly right about both the Shah and this man's treatment. It could have been a lot worse. I suspect that this man has had quite a privileged background but I admit I don't know that.

Never mind heading to Texas, he could have taken a much shorter trip to Saudi Arabia to experience some human rights violations.

[edit on 27-8-2010 by Big Raging Loner]

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by endlessknowledge

The problem with the privacy breach is that even companies such as Google both in the UK and elsewhere have proven that they will bow to government pressure when push comes to shove and allow delicate data to be obtained for investigations.

Now even if the person turns out to be innocent following the trial the government has still had the opportunity to invade their privacy to an unprecedented level. Essentially the damage is already done.

In this case both Nokia and Siemens have just cut out the middle man if you like, by supplying a monitoring centre.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Take a gander at this it's an interactive map showing the locations and numbers of government requests directed to Google and YouTube.

Like other technology and communications companies, we regularly receive requests from government agencies around the world to remove content from our services, or provide information about users of our services and products. The map shows the number of requests that we received between July 1, 2009 and December 31, 2009, with certain limitations.

Now it says with certain limitations, however these limitations would of course be breached in the name of 'terrorism prevention' national security etc.

The map;

www.google.com...

Other articles;

news.bbc.co.uk...

gizmodo.com...

www.hardocp.com...

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 07:44 PM
link   

wow I expected a little bit more objectivity from an informed poster such as yourself..

You "didn't know Iran had a dictator"? Really? Why do you think this, because of the elections? Do you know that Sadam also had elections? Do you also know that the elections was not meant to choose the supreme leader who makes the final decisions?

Well news flash...IRAN HAS A DICTATOR who will be in power till he dies(or through a revolution) and Iran has the highest execution rate next to China with less then 10% of the population. And I'm not an American or Israeli supporter btw.

You should also have a little more compassion for these who suffered to fight for freedom(or any human for that matter). Your logic that its not a big deal because it also happens in Texas is also flawed. Two wrongs don't make a right. Besides until you have been to a prison in Iran you can't really down play what people go throw over there. The fact that he made it out in one piece is also not reason to assume they took it easy on him. A lot of times people in these situations wish they were dead.

I know there is a lot of propaganda from the US about Iran. Unfortunately many of it is true and I seen many informed individuals on ATS sympathize with Iran and down play their actions. But remember something..if Iran had the power that the US has, this world would be a much worse place than it is now(and yes that is possible).

Sorry if I'm being too harsh..its something I feel very passionate about.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 08:19 PM
link   

wow I expected a little bit more objectivity from an informed poster such as yourself..

I appreciate the complement?

You "didn't know Iran had a dictator"? Really? Why do you think this, because of the elections? Do you know that Sadam also had elections? Do you also know that the elections was not meant to choose the supreme leader who makes the final decisions?

Now, tell me, why do you think that Iran has a dictator, because the MSM tells you so? Did they not tell you also that Iraq had WMD or even ties to Al Qaeda?

Furthermore, just because Iraq had elections, does this mean that we too have a dictator, seeing how in America we also have elections? I think it's more than safe to say that Iraq isn't Iran, nor do they even resemble Iraq. In fact, two completely different races, languages and systems of government.

Well news flash...IRAN HAS A DICTATOR who will be in power till he dies(or through a revolution) and Iran has the highest execution rate next to China with less then 10% of the population. And I'm not an American or Israeli supporter btw.

Speaking of execution rates, one simply needs to look at America. No, forget executions, just look at incarcerations, as the US has more imprisoned people than almost the whole world combined. Does this mean we have a dictator too?

No matter how much you may not agree with the democratically elected government of Iran, it doesn't mean that it isn't the will of the people. In fact, the Iranian people have proven that they will easily overthrow any dictator who wished to impose their will. The reason that it took so long with the Shah, is because he was backed by both Americans weapons and American support. They finally overcame that by cutting off the head and taking over the Embassy.

What proof do you have that Iran is under a dictatorship? Because the MSM jumped all over the protests after the last election? Well, I'd hate to be the one to break it to you but those protests were much, much smaller than the protests after the election of GWB. That media coverage was purely propagandic in nature and designed to sway popular opinion against the nation, seeing how it has a huge red, white and blue (emphasis on the last two) bullseye painted across the country. Furthermore, many argue, and convincingly so, that the whole uproar was CIA/Mossad funded and instigated. In fact, according to Iranian officials, this is why they were arresting and interrogating the activists.

Finally, just because the US and Israeli media spin propaganda about Iran and their supposed dictatorship, it doesn't mean that it is one. Most of the Iranian people seem to be perfectly happy with their choice. There is no valid evidence that the elections are rigged or that people are pressured to vote one way or the other. Also, while Iraq had elections, they had no opposition (sort of like the US), so the people could only vote for Saddam. Iran on the other hand does have plenty of opposition and the people seem free to vote for whoever they like. All in all, there is much more evidence of election fraud in the US. Does this give us a dictator too?

As far as this guy getting broken ribs and sitting in a hole somewhere, that's usually what happens in prison, as it isn't a fun place. I'm not condoning the behavior, if it is indeed true, but there are plenty of worse places to go to prison, where you won't come out on the other side in as good shape. To me, being an American, it would seem that this guy had a very easy stay, though of course the media and anti-Iran bandwagon would never hint at that fact. Instead, they will condemn Iran and demonize the country, while completely ignoring our own much, much worse treatment of our own prisoners, political or not. In fact, you are much more likely to go to prison here in the States than anywhere else in the world, even if you hadn't hurt anyone or their property and while you are in jail, you will be assaulted and extremely lucky if all you get is a broken bone or two. However, just ignore that fact, as Iran has a dictator, nuclear weapons program and they are planning on taking of the world, right?

--airspoon

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Alright, where do I start? Well first of all, I'm well aware of the propaganda present in MSM in the US and I don't believe much of it. But even a broken clock is right twice a day, right? Not every single thing on MSM is false. Besides,What makes you think I'm basing my opinion on what the media portrays? FYI, I was born in Iran and have lived there through the war with Iraq. So I also familiar with the language and cultural differences.

I'm also very familiar with who was supplying Iraq's weapons that caused the death of over a million Persians. I can also go back and give you further details how the CIA helped over throw Mosaddegh in 1953. He was the LAST democratically elected politician in Iran. So I'm trying to stay objective though all this, because its easy to put all the blame on the US since they created this mess. And yes the CIA did instigate the riots of last year. However, that doesn't mean people were happy. Think about it, there are so many unhappy folks in the US who are allowed to protest but don't. In Iran you are FORBIDDEN to protest, yet many risked their lives protesting. If they were happy, do you think the CIA could influence them to go risk their lives.

I'm sorry, but to call Iran's government democratically elected is a complete joke. Do you know how many rulers Iran has had since the revolution? The answer is two. The first was Ayatollah Khomeini who was replaced by Ayatollah Khamenei once he died. Basically, the same criminals have been in power in Iran for over 30 years. If Ahmadinejad had lost the election, then not much would have changed since the president is not the ultimate ruler in Iran. BTW the protest were not just about the elections. So please get your facts straight before preaching to the choir.

I know things are rough in the US(I actually live in Canada now) and since 9/11 things have been getting dramatically worse. But its important not to lose perspective. Yes both sides are evil, but you can't equate the two. After all you still have the constitution(or whats left of it) and you have more rights than Iranians can dream of. Trust me I've been there and people are suffering. Do you know that stoning someone to death is used in Iran as a form of execution. Do you know how inhumane that is?

If you think the situation in Iran is not so bad and it all propaganda, then why don't you put on the star of David and take a trip there. You will see the warm reception you will receive at the airport.
Then you can come back here and tell us all about it. Something tells me not to hold my breath.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 11:50 PM
link   

I don't have time to give a full reply at this moment, however that will come it a little later. I just wanted to note one thing. Iran has the largest population of Jews in the Middle East, outside of Israel (25,000 -35,000). Furthermore, these Jews were offered land grants and money packages to pick up and move to Israel, though only a few chose that option.

The Iranian government and Iranian people do make a distinction between Jews and Zionists and it is the Zionists they don't like. Huge difference there and very understandable. With the way that Israel has Iran in their gun sights, I can completely understand suspicion. Just take a look at Islam in the US (Ground-Zero Mosque, for instance) and Islam towards the US isn't nearly as dangerous or destructive as Zionism to Islam or even Iran. Furthermore, much of what we hear about Iran's stance on Judaism, Israel and Zionism is through the directional lense of the pro-Zionist American media.

Here is a little video that I like to put out there, as it puts some perspective on the issue and is straight from the horse's mouth:

Finally, the fact that your family left Iran, hints a bias on your part or that of your family. Many people moved away after the revolution, either because of their support of the Shah or their angst of the revolution.

--airspoon

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 12:14 AM
link   
airspoon

I doubt that 25,000 Jews live in Iran, and even if true its not a very big number for a country of over 70 million. Besides, I would appreciate if you focused on the more important part of my argument such as there being no change in leadership in Iran over the past 30 years. So how can you honestly call it a democracy?

In regards to me being bias, I can tell you that my family had no ties to the Shah and as I said we lived there for over 10 years after the revolution(during the war). Besides why do you think there are so many Iranians who have left Iran since the revolution? Have you check the Iranian population in LA? I will bet you its a lot more than 25,000 and LA is the other side of the world. Why would millions of people leave their country if things are not that bad and go to Europe and the US. How many Americans do you think have moved to Iran in search of a better life?

ETA: I'm not sure what the purpose of posting this video was since I already stated that he is not the ultimate ruler and is essentially a mouth piece for the regime. Besides do you honestly believe a word that comes out his mouth?

[edit on 28-8-2010 by endlessknowledge]

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 02:28 PM
link   
In fact, 25-35,000 Iranian Jews is a conservative estimate and what makes it even more profound, is that they are grouped together and living in Tehran. In fact, Jews make up part of the Iranian Parliament, having one seat reserved for especially for a Jew. So in fact, Jews a part of the legislative process in Iran. You are more than free to look it up as that fact isn't disputable, nor is it really debatable.

As far as the video, it is every bit relevant and if Mahmoud Ahmadinejad is only a mouthpiece for those who control the country, then it makes even more relevant as he is expressing the position of those in true control of the ME nation, according to your theory.

If you didn't even know about the Jews in Tehran, the largest population of Jews in the ME outside of Israel, then it leads me to question the validity and accuracy of your other "insights" into Iran. Sometimes, when we are either raised to believe in something or you have held certain beliefs for a long time, the personal bias that develops in accordance with those beliefs can often blind us to the reality. No human being can really escape their biases completely, though we can take steps to ensure a more objective view.

Although I don't feel the need to address your assertion that Iran is under dictatorial powers because they haven't changed much since the revolution, I'll go ahead and do so anyway, as I believe your heart is in the right place and being of apparent Persian ancestry, it certainly concerns you.

Some argue, including myself, that America has been under the same control for a far longer time period than Iran, yet we don't consider ourselves to be under dictatorial powers. Arguably, the same entities here in America have been in control since at least 1913 (probably even much longer) and the elected officials who set policy are only the front men of these influences. Furthermore, the opposition in this country is kept under control and muffled, as the Democrats and Republicans are only two different sides to the same coin. They are only considered to be opposition on relatively unimportant matters, while fully compliant with each other on the issues that matter most. The true opposition is muffled, quieted and basically prevented from organizing and reaching out to the population, yet we don't consider ourselves to embrace dictatorship although we certainly embrace our own system.

Why do I draw comparisons between the US and Iran? Easy, because while many consider Iran to be a dictatorship, these same folks don't feel the same way about the good old USA. The reasons often cited by folks like yourself for Iran having a dictator, can easily be applied to the US, only far stronger, in effect making the argument null and void. If there is no valid argument, then there is no basis on which to make such an accusation.

Behold, I bring you soda!

--airspoon

[edit on 28-8-2010 by airspoon]

top topics

join