It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ground Zero Muslim center may get public financing

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Ground Zero Muslim center may get public financing

www.reuters.com

The Muslim center planned near the site of the World Trade Center attack could qualify for tax-free financing, a spokesman for City Comptroller John Liu said on Friday, and Liu is willing to consider approving the public subsidy.

"If it turns out to be financially feasible and if they can demonstrate an ability to pay off the bonds and comply with the laws concerning tax-exempt financing, we'd certainly consider it," Sieber told Reuters.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Well this will solve the problem of determing where the funding was going to come to build this facility - we'll just have the tax payers of NYC pay for it.

The bonds can then easily be paid back via dues from the 1000+ members of the congregation in a tax free manner.

I guess we would still want to know where a gent who was waiting tables two years ago was able to buy a $5M building with cash and a $43M building in cash in NYC, but that is another story.

That the government of New York would even consider providing tax exempt financing to this project, when the vast majority of New Yorkers are opposed to it being located in lower Manhattan is disgusting.

It does not matter what the "rules" of the public financing protocols are. Public financing should not even be considered here.

Regardless, clearly they don't need the financing, so determining where the money would have come from is clearly relevant and something they are unwilling to detail

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Good - - as long as it is something that applies to any religion. In other words if Christians can qualify for this funding - - so can Muslims.

I hope this center gets built exactly as it is planned. Exactly where it is planned.

There should be no difference in what religionus building is built.

People making this a media created issue - - are ridiculous.

The constitution is not based on fabricated emotions.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 03:37 PM
link   
im going to ask a question of you, OP, and i hope you wont' dance around it, but instead try to answer it honestly.

Why aren't you up-in-arms when Christian churches and Christian schools get public tax-free financing, but you get so distraught and pissed off when it's something to do with Islam?

Second question: Do you not realize that Muslims pay taxes, too?

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Snarf

I don't believe in tax exempt status for churches, temples or any religous institution, period. There may be charitable activity that those organizations engage in that may provide them with favorable tax treatment, in the same manner that a private citizen gets a tax deduction for giving to charity, but that is it.

That these Christian organizations, many of which have massive balance sheets get tax exemptions is ridiculous.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by dolphinfan

best way to get rich

why do you expect the church of science are all filthy rich lol (the people whp run them that is)

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   

No religious institution should have our tax dollars invested in it. I do not like the fact that my tax dollars should go forward to support any religious belief or way of life. It also comes down to seperation of government and religion, that the government should not be endorsing any religion through financial means. That being said this is nothing new unfortunately as many christian churchs and establishments along with many jewish groups have received government tax cuts or financial assistance. I don't like it and I believe it has to stop, but it should not have to stop for one religion over another.

Even if this does not happen for the islamic community center, at the end of the day there'd be a dozen other christian churches that will continue to receive government support. It will still be an issue, but then again most ATSers and tea party members won't care after that. After all, we're talking about muslins! not good christian folk!

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by dolphinfan
reply to post by Snarf

I don't believe in tax exempt status for churches, temples or any religous institution, period.

Wonderful, then maybe your title should be then:
Religious groups and institutions receive public financing

That makes more sense.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by dolphinfan
reply to post by Snarf

I don't believe in tax exempt status for churches, temples or any religious institution, period. There may be charitable activity that those organizations engage in that may provide them with favorable tax treatment, in the same manner that a private citizen gets a tax deduction for giving to charity, but that is it.

I don't either for anything business related. But - we must go on how the law is Today.

If there is funding available for this type building - - type of religion is irrelevant.

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 06:07 PM
link   

All of these posts are fighting straw men. Citing religious freedom, taxing religious institutions or whether one religion is being treated as fairly as another, completely misses the point.

Erecting a Mosque at ground zero is an affront, a sharp stick in the eye, if you will, to the sensibilities and memories of the 9-11 families, first responders, New Yorkers and most of America who will never forget that day. Even after nine years it is still a raw nerve.

How about a Shinto Shrine in Pearl Harbor. We would all go for that, right?

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by justacitizen

Erecting a Mosque at ground zero is an affront, a sharp stick in the eye, if you will, to the sensibilities and memories of the 9-11 families, first responders, New Yorkers and most of America who will never forget that day. Even after nine years it is still a raw nerve.

Oh Bull Pucky.

300 Muslims also died in Trade Center.

A Terrorist is a Terrorist is a Terrorist. Any other label applied is a label applied. A Christian can be a terrorist - just as well as a Muslim - or anyone else.

The bombing of Iraq is a Terrorist Attack.

This is media manufacture hysteria. Once this multi-cultural is built and in use - - no one that is sane is going to care.

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Oh Bull Pucky.

300 Muslims also died in Trade Center.

The bombing of Iraq is a Terrorist Attack.

No one group has killed more Muslims than Muslims, so the fact that 300 of their lives were lost is very sad, but not shocking.

So I can get a better feeling of where you are coming from with the bombing of Iraq is a Terrorist Attack statement, please let me know your thoughts on the Bombing of Dresden, Bombing of Tokyo, Bombing of Hiroshima and the assault on the beaches of Normandy.

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by justacitizen

It is not about specifics - - it is about perception.

Should I fear all fundamental Christians because I had an abortion?

If this wasn't being fueled by the media - - - there would be no issue.

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 11:55 AM
link   

I don't have a problem with it. The Saudi Nationals that attacked the World Trade Center targeted America because they despise our freedom of religion and the mix of cultures living peacefully together here in America.
It is no insult to those who have died in the attack to build a community center near the WTC.
We were attacked by al Qaida, not by Islam.

12,000 Muslims are defending this country in our own military right now.
To prevent a Mosque being built in NYC a few blocks from ground zero would be to cave in to the fear and ideology of the terrorist's.

The plans for this Community Center were revealed in 2009 but because of the midterm elections it has been dragged out now, to incite riots and instill fear, to be used as a political weapon against freedom loving and peaceful American Muslims, against the democrats who defend their rights and against freedom of religion in America.

I think it is very really interesting that Sarah Palin issued this statement: blogs.abcnews.com...

“He just doesn’t get it, that this is an insensitive move by those Muslims that want to build a mosque in this location,” Palin said of Obama in an appearance on Fox’s “On the Record.” “That feels like a stab in the heart collectively of Americans who still have that lingering pain from 9/11.”

Yet this same woman defends Dr. Laura's right to use the N word.www.politico.com...

“Does anyone seriously believe that Dr. Laura Schlessinger is a racist?” Palin asked in a post on her Facebook page. “Anyone, I mean, who isn’t already accusing all conservatives, Republicans, tea party Americans, etc., etc., etc. of being racists?”

Schlessinger used the N-word 11 times after being asked a question about mixed-race dating.

No lingering pain there? No collective stab in the heart to our black Americans, no insensitivity found in Dr. Laura's use of the word repeatedly on her show???

We are being politically guided now by friends and members of the Aryan Brotherhood and White Patriot groups who have cleverly gone mainstream. Under the pretense of patriotism, allegiance to our forefathers and protecting the Constitution the agenda is actually to (as much as possible) make the USA an all white country.

[edit on 29-8-2010 by rusethorcain]

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 12:26 AM
link   
yes it was'nt islam who attacked us it was saudi arabia . but using taxpayer money to fund this religious center would be wrong on two fronts.
first and most importantly to the fools who attacked us it would be a victory marker and 2 separation of church and state . if in front of vourt house you can't have replica of ten commandments or in elemetary school have christmas parties then this center should not have access to public funds. and i am all for making mega rich religions pay taxes especially the catholics.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 12:51 AM
link   
reply to post by rusethorcain

Can't say I agree with you often.

But - that was an amazing post.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 01:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Very funny Annee.
Another star for you! I gave you at least one, per post, of all those you have above. I didn't think our views were that far apart, though you are right, sometimes we differ. I hope always in a nice way though!

new topics

top topics

join