It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

THE TROLL LIST

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 02:52 PM
link   
This thread is for identifying the different varieties of trolls that post here - and on other discussion boards. Premise: Trolls are NOT just 1. Idiots or 2. Government agents.

Help me out, please!

THE TROLL LIST

1. Idiots:
. May be young or psycho-compromised; usually motivated by an over-riding need for attention in the context of abject personal ignorance and impeded emotional development.

2. Government Agents:
. a. Supports current administration, promotes and defends current policies; OR
. b. Career bureaucrat with personal loyalties to opposition or outside interests - works to sabotage current admin/policies, uses inside info

3. Promotion Trolls (often work in pairs):
. a. Pushes "new" products, treatments, etc. - spews promo copy in posts; AND
. b. Back-up damage-control - sets up identity as "pro" or "expert" before promo, develops following/support base - disparages anyone who questions the promo/"info" when it's released/posted, relies heavily on ad hominem attack strategy and position as resident "expert" to neutralize / dissent / disapproval / disagreement / opposition

4. Social Engineers:
. These guys are pros - usually corporate, sometimes government - their job is to get the public to support their agenda. They (mis)present points of their argument as "facts" to pave the way for new products, laws, or policies - so the "solution" makes sense when it finally comes down the pike. Call it Meme Development.
. a. Promotes ideas, 'takes' on issues, to redefine public perception; AND
. b. Back-up damage-control - sets up identity as "pro" or "expert" before promo, develops following/support base - disparages anyone who questions the promo/"info" when it's released/posted, relies heavily on [url+]ad hominem[/url] attack strategy and position as resident "expert" to neutralize dissent / disapproval / disagreement / opposition

5. Writers:
. Writing is based on research - which can be very time-consuming and expensive. The Internet -and discussion boards- are a great basic source for journalists, novelists, and screenwriters.
. NOTE: Writer Trolls are the least offensive - they're here to pick our brains, NOT manipulate our thinking.

......What's right, wrong, missing?

NOTE: Please DO NOT name member(s) you think are trolls/agents/etc. Please DO identify attributes only.

Thanks,
sofi

[edit on 27-8-2010 by soficrow]

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Hi, I am here to sign up for the troll audition.
I am kinda more of a thread killer,
but I will give it a try

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow

Subjectivity.

2 lines.

link   
The Flame Warriors homepage has a funny and extensive list of different kinds of character one may encounter on internet forums.
redwing.hutman.net...

link   
reply to post by Lil Drummerboy

Congratulations! You're in!

Now, if you want your name removed, you need to read the post, and PROVE that you read it by posting a response that's actually pertinent, if not intelligent.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Your list didn't include the new and updated sixth type of troll, the newest and most vocal version of the species...

#6) Conservative republican.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 03:06 PM
link   
I guess I am here out of guilt and to send you the first flag up!

Sometimes I feel like a wicked troll because of all the BP threads and info I am trying to pass and keep in the public eye, most of it so damming that I cant even stand them, but well... tried keeping it all in one place but people just did not realize it and figured once they read the thread they didn't know to come back for followup and add ons.

Really it became more like a blog, so I digress, yeah, I guess I am guilty?

Not really sure, when I first came to ATS I had no idea what a troll was, but now I just avoid them and their bitter cruelty towards others ideas thoughts and opinions even though they themselves usually lack the ability to think for themselves therefore have no real opinions to share.

Anyway, great thread idea, maybe it will help stop some of the mean and heartless bs happening recently.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide

Your list didn't include the new and updated sixth type of troll, the newest and most vocal version of the species...

everyone is allowed a voice, even a a broken clock is right twice a day,

I think a troll is someone who refuses to communicate without insults.

Some have agendas, to create a distraction, others are labeled trolls because they want to examine all sides of an issue.

There are some who come with an agenda, but we all want a voice,

A troll attacks the poster instead of the post.

But then we also need to understand a troll has feelings too,

[edit on 033131p://bFriday2010 by Stormdancer777]

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 03:17 PM
link   
if ever a member has their suspicions concerning a member's posting intent or posting style, i suggest reviewing their most recent posts list on their profile page to see their short term and long term posting style to see if they exhibit such qualities and attributes as are pointed out by the OP in their posting.

i'm not mentioning any names here what so ever, nor am i making any accusations. members should have the right to form their own opinions as to what they deem "trollish" in nature on our ATS.

but, before jumping to conclusions just make an informed decision, i think.

also, take a look at their choice for titles of their threads, this may also offer us some insight as to the character of the member.

random example

edited to add:
My personal posting style changes. why? because my target is not always the same member.

I do not always keep everyone in mind when i post. And, all of my posts are not always for everyone. Sometimes my contributions are for a senior citizen or a war veteran, and sometimes my posts are directed towards teen agers. If i were to talk to one as though they were the other, i would possibly offend one, and lose the other in the intent of my meaning when choosing the words i share.

So, my posting style has been known to differ from time to time, but so do my targets or who i am addressing. the only thing most of my posts have in common is i do try to interject humor where appropriate and where i can.

[edit on 27-8-2010 by Esoteric Teacher]

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   
I wanna be a troll too!

Wait, maybe I already am... Guess you would have to read my posts to tell me which type I am....

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

You are not a troll antar,

Then we must also consider that calling someone a troll could be considered trolling.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 03:19 PM
link   

It's under "Idiots," just after "Unquestioning Democrat" (reverse alphabetical order).

Drunkenshrew - GREAT link and list! Especially:

Enfant Provocateur likes to stir up trouble because...because, well...just because. This species of Flame Warrior is almost always young and male - it could be just a hormone thing.

...Should have said so in the OP - BUT - am MOST interested in

Trolls-with-Agendas

Antar - boy do I relate. I often exhibit "troll behavior" too - and DO have agendas - but they are my own agendas - as I know yours are too... We care, get on things and start stripping the layers away, and try to share our discoveries and personal learning process... NOT a bad thing. And NOT the kind of Troll we need to look at here.

bad man incorporated - being subjective is either a. A species of Idiot Troll (already covered), or b. A normal part of the learning curve. ...Subjective posters need to be nurtured and educated, in hopes that they will evolve.

[edit on 27-8-2010 by soficrow]

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 03:19 PM
link   
BIG huge LOL!!! Trolls have feelings too! Oh that was classic Storm, you are way too sweet, if ever you get a troll on your back, just U2U me, Ill take the flack for you sweet heart.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by antar
BIG huge LOL!!! Trolls have feelings too! Oh that was classic Storm, you are way too sweet, if ever you get a troll on your back, just U2U me, Ill take the flack for you sweet heart.

I'll remember that, TY.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

Wheuuu! Thanks Sophiecrow, thats what I feel too!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/2d3976419aaf.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Man, you guys miss the obvious. Disney. That's Troll Central.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Trolls are like turds we all know one when we see one.

I do not understand why writer is on a troll list. But anyone can make a list.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow

It's under "Idiots," just after "Unquestioning Democratic" (reverse alphabetical order).

Drunkenshrew - GREAT link and list! Especially:

Enfant Provocateur likes to stir up trouble because...because, well...just because. This species of Flame Warrior is almost always young and male - it could be just a hormone thing.

Excellent point! I suppose a winky-emoticon would have communicated the tone of my previous post a bit more effectively.

Zealotry or discourtesy from either or any side is unbecoming. So I do stand corrected!

After the last few weeks of threads I guess we are all a bit weary of the bipartisan warring that has been so passionately involved in so many threads. It's easy to lose sight of the fact that, when it's all said and done, we all desire, basically, the same things!

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Missing.

6. Trollologists:
a) Add to the already extensive and redundant base of trollnalyses.
b) Were probably unable to properly handle a troll in the recent past and their pride is dented.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by EnlightenUp

Missing.

6. Trollologists:
a) Add to the already extensive and redundant base of trollnalyses.

Ah but today we have Troll Fighters. They work. On the same principle as Foo Fighters. C'mon, admit it, when was the last time you were overcome by Foo? It works.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join