It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Want to be class president? Not if you're black, in one Miss. school

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by justinsweatt

Because the city I live in has a good school (even though it's a public school) and my child's education is paramount. Otherwise, I would. Though I don't where that would be. Better the devil you know, sometimes.

/Q

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by InvisibleAlbatross
reply to post by Djdoubt03

Your qualifier, "I'm not racist" has done nothing to dilute your racist comment.

lol good call. I ment it more of a political comment than a racist one.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by joechip

I must've been in the wrong part of town in Mississippi, Louisiana, Georgia, Alabama and Florida. I'm absolutely positive there are parts of those states that aren't breeding grounds for racism and bigotry. It's just that when I was in them (multiple times) I saw it every time from different sides. And first hand in one case (I was targeted as a white man in a predominately African American neighborhood in Louisiana).

But I guess I shouldn't generalize based on my own experiences.

/Q

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 02:47 PM
link   
REVERSED!

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Good job, Mississippi! Guess a little negative press can make a difference!

/Q

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 05:26 PM
link   
You folks should read the article more carefully. It says that is ABOLISHING the old way and will no longer recognize ethnicity when holding school elections.

It sounds like it was seriously messed up but they're coming around, finally.

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 08:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Quaght

If you’re black and a student at one public middle school in Mississippi, you can’t run for president – only whites need apply.

Wow. I know we still have a long way to go with race relations, but this is disgusting. I can't believe I'm seeing this.

I cannot believe that you chose to misrepresent the article in such racist terms. The gist of the article was:

The rules sparked an outcry after Brandy Springer, a mother of four mixed-race children in Nettleton, Miss., complained that her 12-year-old daughter couldn't run for class reporter because she wasn't the right race.
:
Springer, who moved to Nettleton from Florida in April, said her daughter was told the office of sixth-grade class reporter at Nettleton Middle School was available only to black students this year.

Yet what words do you choose?

"only whites need apply."

Pathetic and twisted.:shk:

ETA: This is another prime example of why the original title of the source article should be used:

Miss. school drops race-based rules for student elections

instead of the member generated, false, incendiary and racist

Want to be class president? Not if you're black, in one Miss. school

[edit on 28-8-2010 by mishigas]

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Quaght
REVERSED!

Good job, Mississippi! Guess a little negative press can make a difference!

/Q

Uhhh...you're not really trying to take any credit for this, are you? Not after you intentionally misrepresented the issue to begin with...

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Quaght

Funny thing is, that policy was imposed on the school district by some activist judge in order to COMBAT RACISM.

A Small Victory for Colorblindness

For over 30 years the middle school in Nettleton, Mississippi, had classified students who wished to run in student elections by race. One year particular offices, such as class president, were reserved for white students; the next year they were opened only to blacks. This policy was implemented, said the school district, in response to a court order, likely involving a desegregation case.

The intent of the policy was to ensure that blacks were elected to student offices. The assumption was that white students would not vote in sufficient numbers for black students, and with whites the overwhelming majority in the district, blacks would never be elected. By setting aside certain offices each year for black students, some were guaranteed to hold office regardless of their popularity among fellow students.

The New American

The insane policy went on for years with little controvercy until a mixed race student was told she couldn't run for an office because that office was reserved for a black student that year. The student is half white and half native American.

Of course, she raised a fuss but, the MSM didn't kick in their two cents worth until it was discovered that the office of president was reserved for a white this year.

Then they raised HOLY HELL against the policy; How dare they deny a black the opportunity to become president.

Early news reports, with such headlines as “Want to Be Class President? Not If You’re Black in This School” (MSNBC), “Miss. Middle School Bars Black Students From Running for Class President” (ABC News), and (after a change in policy on August 27) “Free at Last — Black Kids Can Now Run for President at Deep South School” (Newsweek), focused on the exclusion of blacks and played on stereotypes of the South, rarely mentioning the alternating-race policy.

Didn't even care about the mixed race girl who brought it up in the first place.

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 04:37 AM
link   
This sounds like a right wing tea party members dream come true.

Looks like we found Glenn Beck University

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

You are one of the reasons ATS is so good. You took the time to find the backstory and the history behind the current issue of discussion. Thanks FortAnthem

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

Actually, I'm one of those lazy SOBs who found the story at another source and posted it in my own thread without bothering to use the search function.

When I found out about this thread, I alerted the mods that they could close my dupe thread and transferred the meat & potatoes of my OP to this thread, expecting my thread to get closed.

Go figure, it's still open.

Must have something to do with the "breaking news" and topical forum exemption.

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno
This sounds like a right wing tea party members dream come true.

Looks like we found Glenn Beck University

Would you rather they kept the policy in place?

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 09:20 AM
link   
in my former high school i remember these two lesbian girls got kicked out of school for simply holding each others hand. i guess the assistant principal was a homophobe. they got let back in once a lawyer contacted the school admins...

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join