It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EPA Banning Lead Bullets

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 12:02 PM
link   

EPA Banning Lead Bullets

weeklystandard.com

Will Environmental Protection Agency Administrator Lisa Jackson make a back door move to ban lead bullets the day before the November 2 elections?

Several environmentalist groups led by the Center for Biological Diversity (CBD) are petitioning the EPA to ban lead bullets and shot (as well as lead sinkers for fishing) under the Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA). Although EPA is barred by statute from controlling ammunition, CBD is seeking to work farther back along the manufacturing chain and have EPA ban the use of lead in bullets and shot because non-lead alternatives are available. But
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 12:02 PM
link   
I think this is kind of self-explanatory. If non-lead bullets are currently twice the price of lead bullets and the demand for them is suddenly inflated by banning lead bullets, what will hapen to the price of ammunition? It will skyrocket. I tried submitting this article with just this comment, but ATS says "Your submission did not include a sufficient amount of your own comments or observations. Please write a meaningful summary of your comments on the news article, and try again." I really don't have much more to add.

weeklystandard.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Here's a political madness thread about it: www.abovetopsecret.com...

The cost of enforcement would be outrageous given how many billions or trillions rounds of ammunition are currently around plus how many people cast their own bullets and reload.

Maybe the EPA could do something to slow commercial manufacture of lead bullets but that would only cause the cost of lead to fall which would make home bullet casting even more advantageous in which case the EPA would have to ban or strictly regulate the sale of raw lead.

The EPA would be mindbogglingly stupid to go for this. Which means they'll probably love it.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   
good thing I use steel and bismuth shot.

Now what am I to do about my .300 mag rounds?

Stupidity indeed.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 12:36 PM
link   
so if the EPA bans lead bullets
what is the military gonna use???
Depleted Uranium???

If it don't kill ya now,
it'll kill ya in 2 yrs with cancer
and ur babies will be
deformed like those
shown in Iraq.

[edit on 27-8-2010 by boondock-saint]

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

We'll all have to use DU. EPA regs creating a toxic wonderland.
Thunderdome here we come!

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 12:52 PM
link   
It starts with Lead bullets, then at a point all your bullets will be gone.

And you cannot complain about it being unconstitutional as the constitution only covers your right to guns, not the bullets

Then they'll have you right where they want you!

[edit on 27/8/10 by Discotech]

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by iabductaliens

all I have to say is LOL!!!
I have some lead bullets and they may come collect them, one at a time.
I understand the change to steel shot for wetlands, I don't quite agree however as we have been hunting Duck forever with lead and all of a sudden it is bad...
But if "they" are worried about me poisoning my paper targets or possible human targets with lead, they have revealed themselves.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 01:02 PM
link   
They've been trying to do this crap for years. Cass Sunstein is just the latest Ahole to do it again. What they cant do with a vote they try with regulation.

The problem is I dont think its feasible.

Municipalities are doing all they can to find ammo for practice, therefore, the Police/ Cities are going to scream to hell before it goes through.

Might be a good time to get a muzzle loader though. .45 caliber should be a nice balance lead/powder usage. Powder is relatively easy to make (if you had to) and as long as there are tire weights and batteries in the junkyards we have bullets for the having.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 01:31 PM
link   
All i have to say is..."Good Luck"

Who makes the ammunition? private sector employees...who makes the guns that shoot the ammo? private sector employees...

So whats the unemployment rate up to now without them destroying an entire industry???

I think there have been studies about the actual impact of lead ammunition. I think it said something to the effect of you have more of a chance of getting lead exposure staying in bed and breakfasts than you do rolling around on a bullet trap!

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by iabductaliens

Its about time.

I love to shoot too, and I know its going to cost more, but this should have happened years ago. Hopefully once lead isnt allowed in the manufacturing process, the cost of steel or other types of bullets will come down.

I have been nagging my friends who shoot outside of ranges to use steel for years now.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Insane...they want to ban lead bullets and shot....so....please explain how the rifling used to identify which weapon is used in committing crimes of murder will be explained. Is steel soft enough to show these marks up? Or would they copper jacket the whole bullet head in order to get the information.

~holly

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   
I can see the point in this... lead is DANGEROUS!!!

Just think of all the people who could be potentially killed by lead when they are shot in the head by lead bullets!!!

Now, just picture this... no one dying anymore of lead poisoning when they are shot in the head! Doesn't that seem much much better?

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Holly N.R.A.

If they lose the terribly inconsistent and largely worthless outside of movies "ballistic fingerprint" of rifling they'll have a reason to institute the wholly worthless outside of laboratories (and usually worthless within laboratories) new method of "ballistic fingerprinting" in the catastrophic quagmire that is microstamping.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by YourPopRock

Its not just about people dying of lead poisoning from being shot by bullets. Its about groundwater contamination and the impact of lead on wildlife, and contaminating the food chain all the way from the bottom up.

The fact that people have been using lead for a long time, and "why is it only now that its a problem" can be answered easily. If you have one room, and only one guy comes in once or twice a year and dumps a small tin of lead in that room, it will take a long time before the lead becomes a problem. But if (as the population increases) more people begin taking a tin of lead into that same room once or twice a year the room gets full much faster.

There are more of us. And lots of people dont just hunt, they go out into wilderness areas and shoot clay, and leave shot all over the place. (I know, my friends do) Over time, it is becoming more and more of a problem as the lead accumulates and more people are scattering it.

There is no sense in waiting until it is such an undeniable problem that every single gun owner on the planet agrees. The Constitution protects our right to own guns, not lead shot and bullets. There are other options available. Hopefully, more demand will increase supply. Lord knows there is enough scrap iron laying around. It might even make some jobs, for those who are getting all doomsday suggesting that this is the end of life as we know it.

[edit on 27-8-2010 by Illusionsaregrander]

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

Where does lead come from?

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by BingeBob

Arsenic is natural too. If I concentrate it, and put it into little pellets, you wont mind at all if I come and dump it all over your house and yard where your pets and children play, or into the water you are going to be drinking, would you?

Lava is natural too. You want someone to dump a bunch on your house?

Oil is natural too, why dont we just dump a bunch of spent oil all over your house and yard. You wont care, right?

Just because something comes from nature, or out of some part of our environment does not mean that taking it out, changing its form, and then relocating it to other parts of "nature" will have no impact that humans and other animals will find highly unpleasant or even incompatible with life.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Yeah...but we arent talking about DUMPING of lead...We are talking about maybe 1/2 ounce at a time...If youd like to talk about dumping of lead we can look at the wheel wieghts on your car or soldering of electronics or any number of other things...

Id like to see the logistics in transporting and subsequent dumping of hot lava though

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 03:12 PM
link   

I beg to differ...

I find people being shot in the head with lead bullets to be a VERY dangerous thing! You could even be killed by all that lead being forcefully thrust into your brain.

Doesn't anyone else see the potential danger that lead can cause when an explosive is used to propel it into your head?

Honestly, if they banned lead and legislated that all bullets be made of NERF, there would be at least be almost 10% less fatalities from gunshot wounds to the head. That is science. You can't make that stuff up.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 03:14 PM
link   

And also...Why is there so much lead contamination on and around YOUR HOUSE? Do you live in a war zone where this is a problem? May be time to move

top topics

<<   2 >>

join