It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aid for Pakistan?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 06:42 AM
link   
Close working organisations in my country have just collected 16 million euro with the public, i just heard the US government will give another 50 million.

I find this pretty odd, we have been fighting in Afghanistan for the last 4/5 years [our allies still] we've been harassed by Afghan and Pakistani Taliban non-stop. A country which stole nuclear secrets from our enrichment plants here and dr.Khan build a bomb from it.

Now i read non-muslims and minorities are denied food relief

www.hindustantimes.com...
not to mention the money for Haiti and Pakistan eathquake went anywhere except where it supposed to be.

Is this all still from guilt feelings? I tell you one thing the Taliban there will say "all the help is coming from us, so would you care to join us then?"

alertnet.org...

www.telegraaf.nl...,1

[edit on 27-8-2010 by Foppezao]

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 06:57 AM
link   
Here is something else to throw in the pot, I was not impressed when I heard about this.

www.abc.net.au...

Basically, the Taliban are handing out Australian aid with no mention of who donated it. The TV report of this story showed absolutely no clue it was outside aid, the camp mentioned is not only funded, but run by the Taliban, giving the recipients a false impression of who their saviors are.

I dont mind us giving aid, but I cant believe the UN are allowing the Taliban to take all the credit.

I hope other nations are smarter than us & mark every single thing properly.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 07:11 AM
link   
What is the OP complaining about? humanitarian aid? LOL First, I would complaint about the billions of dollars spent on military aid over the last 5 years...

The 50 million is only a tiny piece of cake compared to that + people who are in real need will (probably) receive that.

I doubt that any of the military aid had been useful, except to fuel the double game, Pakistan is playing to keep the military aid coming

[edit on 27-8-2010 by nagabonar]

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 07:29 AM
link   

ISLAMABAD: As voices are being raised in different countries against extremist groups using flood assistance to lure recruits for militancy, the US overseas aid chief created on Wednesday a sort of storm by visiting a Sukkur relief camp supposedly run by Falah-i-Insaniat (FI), the latest reincarnation of Jamaatud Dawa, the humanitarian arm of the banned terrorist organisation Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT).

Rajiv Shah, administrator of the US Agency for International Development (USAID), was in Sukkur to witness relief efforts when he visited the FI camp set up in a school.

JuD spokesman Yahya Mujahid claimed that the camp Mr Shah visited was run by Falah-i-Insaniat and that he donated two trucks of relief goods.

The FI started functioning openly last year by providing aid to people displaced by the military operation in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa and Fata. It was formed after the UN imposed sanctions on the JuD in the aftermath of the Mumbai attacks on Nov 26, 2008.

Senior military officials have claimed that LeT has expanded to the West since the Mumbai strike and posed a serious threat to world peace.

However, the purported visit by the US official is being described by the JuD as an endorsement of its relief efforts.

A statement issued by the group quoted Mr Shah as saying that “JuD is actively taking part in relief operations. The work being done by the group is appreciable.”

Secondly, do you know what happened to the $millions sent as relief money in 2005 for the earthquake victims for reconstruction in Pakistan? Disappeared! Five years on, not a single house has been built as yet!! Pakistan is a bottomless pit of corruption. Not more than 10% of aid reaches those it is meant for. You see, the politicians, army and the so called NGOs have deeper corrupt pockets than BP's deep oil rigs!

So think twice before you put anything in the hat. It may never reach those in need. Except putting a smile on the faces of the Pakistani generals, bureaucrats and politicians who'll be rubbing their hands in glee. Their latest SUV and that villa in Clifton could just be a hat away!

www.dawn.com...

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by SNAFU38
I dont mind us giving aid, but I cant believe the UN are allowing the Taliban to take all the credit.

I don't see how the UN can go to the Taliban and say "stop doing that!".

I hope other nations are smarter than us & mark every single thing properly.

They only have to change to a different container.

Some days ago I heard on Euronews something that I didn't know: distributing the aid costs 8 times more than the cost of the aid itself, that's why on many cases the aid never reaches the destination, it is left to rot on airports or see ports because they do not have the means to take it to their destination.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Its quite simple really.

We dont give the aid to the Taliban 'aid' group, we distibute it ourselves rather than sub-contract it out.

As for labelling, whats wrong with a stamp on each of those bottles of water ? I know, they could pour it into other containers, but I dont think they have the man power to be wasting that much time, they want to be seen as the ones who came to the rescue quick, they cant risk the needy seeing other aid groups acting quicker than them.

Theres probably many options, maybe even as simple as a banner on the wall saying where it all came from, but option 1 is to stop this single 'aid' group being given anything, they are just one small outpost. Either way, Im insulted the terrorists are getting credit for our aid.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by SNAFU38
Its quite simple really.

We dont give the aid to the Taliban 'aid' group, we distibute it ourselves rather than sub-contract it out.

As for labelling, whats wrong with a stamp on each of those bottles of water ? I know, they could pour it into other containers, but I dont think they have the man power to be wasting that much time, they want to be seen as the ones who came to the rescue quick, they cant risk the needy seeing other aid groups acting quicker than them.

Theres probably many options, maybe even as simple as a banner on the wall saying where it all came from, but option 1 is to stop this single 'aid' group being given anything, they are just one small outpost. Either way, Im insulted the terrorists are getting credit for our aid.

You see that's the problem [with humanitarian aid in general] its either a failed state [like Somalia] or a corrupt/authoritarian state with a strong presence of army like Pakistan and their shaddy intel organisations.Most aid is going through their government treadmill, they want to make clear the aid is coming from the "government", and in the lower echelons it might even come from Taliban in the North-western regions[like the ozzie's experienced].Best is to use bigger independent organisations like Médecins Sans Frontières.

Looking at the [far lesser] amount of money they get from the more richer oil states[/muslims brothers] i don't get it why we always have the need to spit out this money, just like we always as the Netherlands need to pay up 0.8 GNP for developmental aid.Why that crazy mumber everytime
?, while we need to cut the budget for about 18 billion this period. When we get our own floodings in the future i don't think we get aid from them or do we?

[edit on 27-8-2010 by Foppezao]

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Foppezao

I have seen a couple of threads lately about the scam that a majority of charities are, giving only a very small percentage of donations to where we intend our money to go.

One I feel (though Im sure someone can prove me wrong) that is worthy is as you mention, MSF. From what I can tell they spend the money donated on medical supplies that their doctors dispense.

Obviously they spend some money on admin costs, & I was a little dissapointed getting a years worth of 'advertising' via the mail after I made a donation to them, but they stopped.

I am yet to find a charity, other than MSF, that does its best to 'do the right thing' with our money, so Im not in any rush to donate to anyone. I much prefer donating my time, however, MSF have a bequest option which I will be taking.

That is, when you die, you leave a set amount or a percentage of your estate to MSF.

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 04:54 AM
link   
reply to post by SNAFU38

That's one of the few organisations that have people working "on the ground", and they have had some of their people killed because of that.

top topics

join