It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

sonoluminescence

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by nataylor

the star in a jar concept was not a scientific description
but its easyer to say than sonoluminescence all the time lol
there is a form of compresion/collapse that super heats the core that causes a reaction that then forces expantion untill the energy of expansion is dissapated then another callapse happening so very fast its hard to see

xploder

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 03:57 PM
link   
here is the same penomonon using flow of fluid through a constriction to create the emition

very interesting
www.physics.ucla.edu...

A spectacular example is provided by sonoluminescence which is the phenomenon where by sound is channelled into light. In this effect a diffuse uniformly applied sound wave propagating through water can be observed to spontaneously focus its energy by over a factor of one trillion to generate a very short flash of ultraviolet light. A similar effect can be observed in the flow of water through a converging pipe. At flows which achieve velocity variations of about a meter/second bubbles form in the constriction and then emit picosecond bursts of ultraviolet light as they collapse downstream [flow cavitation].

enjoy xploder

here is a published theory on the subject

www.aip.org...

here is a link to google scholarly articals on hydrodynamic theory
scholar.google.co.nz...

edit to add links for papers on op

[edit on 27-8-2010 by XPLodER]

[edit on 27-8-2010 by XPLodER]

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 08:27 PM
link   
I remember coming across this a year or so ago while I was going crazy watching videos on energy, wave frequencies, and the like.

There's an animal called a pistol shrimp that can produce this 'star' when it snaps its claw. "The snap can also produce sonoluminescence from the collapsing cavitation bubble. As it collapses, the cavitation bubble reaches temperatures of over 5,000 K (4,700 °C).[12] In comparison, the surface temperature of the sun is estimated to be around 5,800 K (5,500 °C)."

I think it's amazing stuff. Shows how primitive we really are.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by againuntodust

thank you for the information it amazes me that a shrimp has the chops to produce this effect with its claws that is amazing
nature never fails to stun me

thanks
xploder

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

XPLodER.....

G'day me ol' mate!

That's a very interesting topic.

The ultrasonic / heat effect is also used in medical applications.

Look up HIFU.

Here's something else for you.....

Look up "Laser Wakefield".....that's a "blow out"!

Cheers
Maybe...maybenot

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Amazing!

It doesn't seem too difficult to reproduce and maybe even harness either. It looks like if you had an extra $10k and enough research, you could do this yourself.

If this guy or someone else creates a public domain process to predictably reproduce this, instead of squandering it, we could see fairly significant advances in this technology within years and between several different organizations.

I think this has the potential to be a technology that turns the tides of power against TPTB, giving the power back to the people.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 10:44 PM
link   
My take on this is that they have accomplished separating the oxygen and hydrogen in the water by using different sound wave frequencies. The sound waves must replace the negative and positive battery poles need on a Hydrogen generator and also the need for a catalyst such as salt. Using this technique it looks like it also ignites the oxygen and hydrogen as they seperate. Hydrogen burns as a blue flame. The sun is a 70% ball of Hydrogen. Thus the star look.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 11:46 PM
link   
This is so cool! I really wanted to do this myself, so I looked at the price list.

Then I got over it

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 01:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by CHA0S
some sort of potential for low cost sustainable power generation...the key was in sound/frequencies/vibration all along.

SOB's beat me to it.....

awesome tho, hope its legit.

-B.M

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 03:27 AM
link   
truly beautiful. and its just one step closer to creating real stars...

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 06:06 AM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

This is quite frankly amazing. I was unable to watch the video with sound because the sound drivers in my computer cooked a while back so Im probably missing the most stunning features of the vid, however its staggering to think that just by manipulating an area with sound waves, you can produce such an impressive result!
I boggle at the idea of sound waves being able to create a star like object, I thought that much messing about with split atoms and gravity alterations would be in order to create such a thing!
Oh and BTW star and flag ... awesome stuff!

[edit on 28-8-2010 by TrueBrit]

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 07:41 AM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

Re the 'flow cavitation' :
I've observed this phenomenon downstream of hydro turbines at flows around 10 m^3/sec or more in Francis type reaction turbines operating in high head systems. When I say observed I mean I could see the flashes of light coinciding with the sound of the cavitation implosions and the shockwaves could be felt through the floor of the massive concrete structure. It can do considerable damage to the turbine runners too, such is the energy released.

Always thought it would be a tremendous breakthrough to harness this energy but so far it's been simply something of a curiosity, even a nuisance in terms of required maintenance to repair the physical effects of it. If true fusion is taking place involving atoms heavier than normal hydrogen (eg oxygen or deuterium) there should be evidence of a neutron flux but I'm not aware of any research that's been done in that regard.

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 08:15 AM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

This reminds me a little of the guy who worked at a radio station. his wife got cancer and he was trying to destroy the cancer cells with radio waves. At one point in his experiments, he was able to ignite an area that was being hit with radio waves... A bright blue flame appeared...

Amazing, something so simple as a radio wave... Hope we can harness it somehow...

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 10:02 AM
link   
So if energy only changes forms, then does that mean we have yet to see the significance of sound? If a nice high pitched sound can produce a 4000 degree "star" that can possible help with fusion then in that sound wave there is enough energy to sustain that star... or am I missing something, besides that the friction between the particles and the collapse is so fast its like striking a match on sandpaper. But even still the energy to move those particles come from the sound.

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Maybe...maybe not

hey dude
thank you for the links
very interesting stuff
your thread nano knife got me thinking of star in a jar
and i thought that members might get the reaction i first did
there is something going on here that i cant account for
wounder how i can make it bigger lol

xploder

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 04:09 PM
link   
WoW this was really interesting!!! I am surprised I haven't seen more hype on this finding!!!! I am def gonna read more into it!!!! Thanks for sharing!! Great find!

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Xionmir

many minds have pounder that exact question
where is the energy coming from
the sound wave is not completly consumed by the process and could not account for the energy released
energy can be transfered but not created springs to mind

my theory
the nuclus of atoms are projecting energy outwards from the interaction with a yet unknown energy and different wave lenghts project to different distances from the centre like electron shells
when the crest of the introduced sound wave interacts with the nuclus it disurbes the output of the nuclus wave from the nuclus and blocks the output lenght of the wave being released from the nuclei
when the trough of the wave cycles to the nuclei the inhibited output of the nuklei is then removed and the output wave returns to normal state of being and expands
because of the introduced wave cycles the waves emitted from the nuclei (electron shell) are inhibited and inhanced as the peak and trough block then stimulate the output of wave energy from the nuclei

think of a nuclui as a flow of water and different speeds of flow and volume as the distance from the centre that the water is able to achieve as the introduced sound waves (crest)blocks the flow pressure builds up that blocks the flow at the source (callaspe) as the empty space has no flow holding the nuclai appart they collaspe to fill the void
then as the trough cycles through the nuclie the flow of water is unblocked but the nuclei are too close to one another and the flow presure forces them to seperate to a larger distance than normal as the pressure falls

in this way the distance increases and decreases in a cycle of distance that is much larger then smaller than normal

only problem is im rethinking nuklei and electron cloud theory

xploder

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by upgrayedd

If this guy or someone else creates a public domain process to predictably reproduce this, instead of squandering it, we could see fairly significant advances in this technology within years and between several different organizations.
Reproduce it for what? There are much more efficient UV generators out there.

Assuming it's not fusion (which seems likely given no one can reproduce the byproducts of fusion as sen in one claimed instant), they're not getting more energy out of this than is being put in. It's just focused at a very small spot.

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

Watching your linked video has reminded me of another video I recently saw.
A shrimp that uses sound as a weapon to catch its prey. This sound appears to mimic sonoluminescence.

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by ByteChanger
reply to post by XPLodER

This reminds me a little of the guy who worked at a radio station. his wife got cancer and he was trying to destroy the cancer cells with radio waves. At one point in his experiments, he was able to ignite an area that was being hit with radio waves... A bright blue flame appeared...

Amazing, something so simple as a radio wave... Hope we can harness it somehow...

I remember this story. Here is a news clip.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join