It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What are we going to do about our children?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 03:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Subjective Truth

The op is probably one of those social workers who film people in there homes, telling people that arguments are somehow these big massive things, and mean that people absolutely hate each other, lol. Life is not like that for all you rubbish social workers.

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by EnactedEgoTrip
If a child is being abused by their parents or other relatives, it is a duty as a human being to put a stop to it. Its pretty obvious that stepping in will cause even more trouble - thats the nature of the beast. But at the end of the day if you just allow it to go on you play a part in the abuse being dished out.

[edit on 28-8-2010 by EnactedEgoTrip]

While I agree that we have a duty to prevent abuse, the bigger question is: What EXACTLY constitutes abuse? Who decides the definition of "too much?" Is perceived mental abuse based on the definition of a third party sufficient grounds to step in and take action? Should mental distress even be considered a form of abuse. or should that definition only apply to physical abuse?

There are many different theories on the topic of child discipline, but as I've often told parents, there is no perfect solution except that which best suits your child's individual personality. What may work best with a gifted 10 year old probably won't work with a 6 year old special needs patient.

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   
you think fighting is the worst thing you can expose your children to? I can think of 1000 things worse things than fighting parents for a childs development... I myself am afraid to have kids because I really don't want to try and raise a family in the current time we live in, to me it would seem like child abuse in itself.

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 04:45 PM
link   
I don't think it's about do parents fight, but how they fight. I also don't belive in telling others what to do, but I do belive in encouraging others to be conscious of what they are doing when fighting in front of children.

This thread makes me appreciate a whole lot how I was raised and how my husband and I raise our children. Sure, life isn't always sunshine and flowers... But we hadle ourselves maturely. We have arguements, but I can proudly say we do not 'fight', especially in front of our daughter. I understand many people are not able to do this. I respect that there are cases of rage and people are not always in control of their emotions. I do not think living in guilt of losing control is good either, but only adds to the problem. I only think people should try be aware of what they are doing. If a home is violent, then steps should be taken to improve the situation. I'm not here to dictate to anyone that they do this, but I would just like to encourage them. I think it's important for people to be conscious of their actions and the effects of them, is all. People are free to do what they want, though, and that's really the bottom line. But do just think about what it is like to be that child and seeing it all.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join