It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can Mod's input influence threads?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 07:47 PM
link   
This is quite a tricky issue, it shouldn't be but it is.

I don't believe that any mod would intentionally derail a thread, or use their "modness" to assert their point of view to the point that the thread is abandoned. Sorry, I just cannot see it, nor have I ever witnessed it.

Now, does the word of a Mod count more than that of a regular Joe? Maybe. Not in a sinister or underhanded way but simply because they are Mods. I respect the ATS mods, and their points of view. We don't always see eye to eye (on various topics not in a disciplinary way!!), however on the majority of topics and issues they speak a lot of sense. They are around this site, the posts and threads a lot, and they must become a little bit wise just by doing their job.

I think the crux of the issue is this:

When you see a mod posting a simple reply, they are acting as a member and are fair game, and can be engaged in debate - their opinion is no more or less important than anyone else's.

When a MOD is doing their job, you'll normally see a reference to a information thread like "quoting external links" or something, a MOD EDIT.

Then they have their work hat on, so listen and do what they say lol!!!

Unless it's Sauron, no one listens to him anyway.....just kidding!!!

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 08:11 PM
link   
I think that, by definition, a moderators comments are intended to affect a discussion. The idea being that they do it from the borders of the discussion as opposed to directing the actual discussion by force, threat, or coercion.

If you alter your stance because a moderator posted something as a user contributing to the discussion instead of a mod regulating behavior and enforcing site rules then that's pretty weak and I don't imagine you would have had any luck prosecuting your particular argument anyways.

[edit on 27-8-2010 by TheWrongStuff]

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by NoRegretsEver
Could members stop posting on a thread because they are afraid of disagreeing with a mod?

not me

but, at the same time, i do like to see an atmosphere where the mods get to enjoy participating in threads on their ATS, too.

It's our ATS, and mods do not get paid a lot for their duties (no $$).

Once members become mods, i usually miss their contributions for awhile in the threads as they become accustomed to their new responsibilities.

i suspect there is a little bit going on behind the scenes in those secret mod forum(s), but grouping up on or targetting members has not been something i have seen in the past.

don't be afraid to take on the mods in debate, just debate talking points.

I have disagreed with mods in the past over opinionated issues, but i have never really engaged a mod in debate overtly until recently, where we just disagreed with certain aspects of the material being presented.
(me thinks the OP knows what et means
)

no worries, and no regrets ever

help keep ATS fun for everyone, even those dastardly mods,
et

[edit on 27-8-2010 by Esoteric Teacher]

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by alien
I've noticed some Members almost challenge Mods just for the sake of challenging them.

that sentence makes no sense at all

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Yes I know that Mods are people and members but they are still authority figures and as such are much more influential than a lowly member. MODs know they have the power to hand out warnings and reprimands; and some of them really get off on it. It's human nature and just because it's electrons and pixels, doesn't mean that the old adage "power corrupts" is any less valid.

I have been here long enough to see when a member becomes a MOD, how they change, in demeanor and attitude. Still that in no way diminishes there right to freedom of expression.

But by way of the nature of the encounter, I'm still intimidated.

[edit on 27-8-2010 by whaaa]

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

I can assure you, staff work is much more of a cold shower than auto internetotica...

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Considering the number of posters who strongly disagreed with SO and other mods in the FB thread, I would have to say, no.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 11:52 PM
link   
let's not kid ourselves.

Mods are people too. They're subject to the same weaknesses we all are.

Some mods take their "duties" a little too far on people they disagree with, other mods are a little too lenient on posters they tend to agree with.

If you, as a member, say anything, they seem to circle the wagons to fight you off. Just like a slew of moderators and administrators are going to respond to this post, trying to bark me down.

Yes, they are human, but they're also moderators, super moderators, and administrators, and like it or not, they, too, have tendency to abuse powers as well.

whether that abuse is intended to sway a conversation or not...it DOES happen...and it DOES get ignored

[edit on 27-8-2010 by Snarf]

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 12:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Snarf

People with transient authority carry their assigned duties to unnecessary lengths in order to pursue their own ends?

I was not aware. Do other people know of this? Has somebody alerted the site admin?

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Snarf

Yes, they are human, but they're also moderators, super moderators, and administrators, and like it or not, they, too, have tendency to abuse powers as well.

The only person that can empower another over you is you.

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 12:36 AM
link   
I would have to say no, unless you feel intimidated by a Moderator's presence.

I have debated a couple of the moderators in some very intense discussions, even basically owned some in their own threads and they have never harbored any ill feelings about that.

As long as you are on topic, and within the terms of service, your opinions and arguments are in fact just as valid and topical as theirs.

Some of the moderators debated each other intensely when they were general members, and shhhhh, some of them still hold grudges against one another.

If you are debating a moderator that has some other moderators still hot under the collar that way, and you are winning that debate or scoring points don't be surprised when one of those moderators throws some applause your way!

Moderators and Subject Matter experts will also very often help you with research on a particular subject you specialize in, and are also known to put you on their friends list if you mirror their own political views or share interests on certain topics.

Moderators are just like the rest of us, but volunteering to make the site function better. Were they differ from some of us as members they were very good at following the terms of service and generally strove to make the site a better place.

I am very happy to say I count many of the Moderators as my friends here on ATS.

They really are here to help you and everyone else get the most out of ATS.

[edit on 28/8/10 by ProtoplasmicTraveler]

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 01:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog

That holds true, in real life.

However, in a creation like ATS, or say, youtube....you have 2 choices:

1.) Deal with it

2.) Leave.

For me, it's not bad enough to want to leave. I like a lot of people here, and I like a lot of the conversations...putting up with a few moderators who tend to show some blatant inconsistency is just part of the game.

So, while you're correct, I do have a choice, and I can leave, it just seems like that really shouldn't be a choice for any single member concerning violations, no matter how frequent or infrequent they occur.

But, i digress...it's bed time. Im sure ill wake up, refreshed, and not even care about it any more.

But as things stand right now...I have seen a few questionable things, and have others tell me stories similar to my own experiences concerning the same mods in question.

So to answer the OP, one more time before bed:

Can Mods input influence threads?

Absolutely it can. And most of the time, it does.

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 01:34 AM
link   
Can Mod's input influence threads?

I'd have to say yes, most definitely. Seen it many times. Sometimes for the better and sometimes for the worse. Depends on the thread. Some members end up getting banned because of a mod's input into a thread- like when they delete a post, or deduct points, or issue a general warning in the thread to stop personal attacks.

If a mod didn't have particular influence on threads one way or the other, then why would ATS be so careful with their wording about moderator conduct when they are being considered for mods? And further, if there was no more influence than a regular member, then why would ATS insist on the mod brackets when commenting in a thread they don't moderate in?

But wait. Mods can have a very positive effect on some threads when they comment, causing some members to respond when they otherwise didn't. Personally, any mod comments with interest in any of my threads, and I like it. And if a particular few of those mods comment in one of my threads, I feel privileged to gain their input. Rare occurrence these days.

Honesty I hate it when the staff has to grab some of the better posters for mods, who then systematically post noticeably less. Yeah yeah. Darnit you know who I am talking about. Put those prolific posters back in the membership please after you've nearly silenced them with their attention diverted to ATS drama, mundane tasks, and miscellaneous projects.

[edit on Sat Aug 28th 2010 by TrueAmerican]

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 01:48 AM
link   

....you have 2 choices:

1.) Deal with it

2.) Leave.

3.) Indifference

I'm honestly not trying to be adversarial, I'm just noting that in a forum as in real life, only you can empower another to affect you.

I don't mean in a practical way for of course staff or any authority figure can influence events ... what I mean is, making those elements which others can influence in your life significant is a personal choice.

What is it that a forum moderator can do, other than vex you, that has any real significance?

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 02:04 AM
link   
respect my authoritah...sorry, I couldn't help myself. who cares what the mods say. if its on your mind, get it off; if its rude, you'll get checked. if not, what does it matter?

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 02:09 AM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

What is it that a forum moderator can do, other than vex you, that has any real significance?

Nothing, of course

But i think the spirit of the argument at hand (at least, this is how i viewed it) wasn't relative to anything of real significance.

It seems that the OP was debating the possible outcomes of moderator intervention, and where I tried to further that conversation was talking about some of the methods in which they choose to steer the results of any type of intervention.

"Off TOpic Post Removed" and "Warnings" carry a lot of weight when viewed publicly...and seeing one member get a slap on the wrist for breaking Rule A.) in a thread, then seeing another member get a punch in the face for breaking the exact same rule, tends to set the mood for a particular discussion.

It shows which side of the argument that particular mod has chosen, and shows how any such dissent is dealt with.

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Whaaa said in a previous post:

Originally posted by whaaa

Apply Shrodingers Dog's thought to your own feeling of intimidation. While disagreeing with a mod, etc on other sites could get you reprimanded or banned, that is unlikely to happen unjustly here.

[edit on 8/28/2010 by Nivcharah]

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Yes I know that Mods are people and members but they are still authority figures and as such are much more influential than a lowly member.

Authority figures? It's a site on the Net. Pixels on the screen. Not much "authority" there. That may be the case in some instances but at ATS the staff gets that. They also don't see members as "lowly".

You shouldn't be intimidated by staff. If you are there's a problem on your end. They are here as staff to facilitate the civility to discussion, nothing more. After that they are just members like everyone else.

Secondly any staffer that abuses his/her position are removed. That even includes Admin. I can sight examples but who want to go there?

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nivcharah

Whaaa said in a previous post:

Apply Shrodingers Dog's thought to your own feeling of intimidation. While disagreeing with a mod, etc on other sites could get you reprimanded or banned, that is unlikely to happen unjustly here.

That's all well and good of course...
but at one time being one of the resident malcontents; my status was made abundantly clear by staff and mods and I accept it!
And there in lies the reason for MY reasons for feeling intimidated. Most of the time I feel free to post in an open and easy manner, but there are times with certain mods, I know that it's time to gracefully leave and find other ATS distractions.

It's the nature of social discourse, whether in the nuts and bolts world or cyber space.

[edit on 28-8-2010 by whaaa]

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Let me help you out a little bit, I think I have a solution...

Listen, I know some members have a natural problem with authority figures, it's just natural on a site like this, but take it from me, there is a simple solution to the problem...

Blame intrepid.

That's right, blame intrepid. Because no other member on this forum embodies the angst, vitriol, hate and hubris as this one member, and of course, intrepid was in fact a mod too, and thus the cause of all the angst, vitriol, hate, and hubris on this site. So as both a mod and a member this one man is to blame for all the ill will that has gone on between any members and the staff.

The advantages of blaming intrepid for all your ills doesn't stop at ATS, in fact you can blame intrepid for absolutely everything that is wrong in the universe. It's fun, and it gives you that security knowing that the reason that you were post banned or had your post removed isn't your fault.

Plus the fact that intrepid is Canadian and thus proves my point entirely.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join