It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can Mod's input influence threads?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 03:38 AM
link   
I have to say that with the rules that come with being a member here on ATS, and knowing (by the avatar mostly) who mod's are, can they if they do not agree with a particular thread, actually derail a thread by simple disagreement?

So here is my actual question. Could members stop posting on a thread because they are afraid of disagreeing with a mod? I ask this question, but am sure that members will not all agree that it happens.

But for those that are aware of what I am getting at, do you think that when a mod participates (some mod's of course) that when their participation is in disagreement with their views that your thread can actually get lost in the fear?

Please by all means this is not to say anything against mods, but I have been in a situation, where I saw that the mod's input may (and I say MAY) have altered my thread, due to their constant disagreement.

Opinions (ALL OPINIONS COUNT) but in the minds of members who cannot control the disagreement see what I am saying?

By all means this isn't the fault either of the mods participation, but the feelings of the members involved.

Peace.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 03:57 AM
link   
reply to post by NoRegretsEver

I think any strong poster can influence the direction of a thread, and since most Mods are chosen because of their contributions to ATS, a number of them are very strong posters.

It's possible that there's an intimidation factor involved especially for brand-new members, but I think it becomes clear pretty quickly that disagreeing with a mod's opinion is accepted practice here (on general threads, maybe less so on ATS issues threads).

But mostly I think it just has to do with their strength as posters.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 04:01 AM
link   
I never take a mod or old member's opinion above anyone else's. I always base it on the content of their post. But I am aware many people are bandwagon jumpers and fanboys, so I am sure they agree with anything their favorite person says.

I typically disagree with mods, but sometimes I agree. That's the way it should be IMO.

But if the mod is moderating by saying "Hey stop the name calling", I seriously hope members take heed and get back on track of the topic. This is basic common sense though.

Also, I have been around here long enough, that I remember times when most of these mods were not mods at all, and were just regular posters. So my feelings about each individual have not changed as a consequence of them gaining moderatorship.

I am curious to see what other posters response to your interesting topic will be.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 04:05 AM
link   
If you are going against the majority and they are ganging up on you and you are just definding what you are saying. The answer is yes they will ban you. I know because I was just banned last week.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 04:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by americandingbat

But mostly I think it just has to do with their strength as posters.

I don't believe in a concept of "strength of a post" per se.

I think many more variables are involved. We can change our minds tomorrow too, so that really puts a damper on "strength theory". Just my personal assessment.

Also, anyone can post a truthful and accurate comment. We are all capable of this and often times I see new members without an avatar hit the nail on the head very well.

There are just so many variables involved in any given topic of discussion, as many people may not know all the details of that topic.

Also consider that people have mood swings, this can affect their day to day posts. Things from real life can easily change our tone, attitude, etc.

You can not judge someone as a strong poster. It just is a fallacy imho.

I prefer to judge each post on it's own merits. I even enjoy short and sweet little witty comments often as well. Sometimes a good joke can really lighten up the mood if you know what I mean.

Let common sense guide you, rather than a posters history. That is my basic tenant. Granted, history plays a part in it, but each issue needs to be held to it's own accord as a new idea to grapple with.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 04:14 AM
link   
Thanks for the responses I meant ONE person who happened to be a moderator that was posting lots of posts to one particular thread, and pointing out their discontent over the conversation and overwhelming the thread.

I don't mean info to the contrary just their over all thoughts (not opposing info, just how they personally feel), and it seeming to stale mate a thread.

I have NEVER had a mod warn me. I am not disrespectful or want to start trouble. I want to know what I can do, so that I don't have to find another venue. I was curious over a particular situation.

Peace.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 04:22 AM
link   
I've noticed a lot of the time people disagree with the mods and they don't get much stars.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 04:23 AM
link   
I usually get suspicious of them if they go all out and keep trying to derail something.

But that goes for everyone.

Also, just because I agree with them doesn't mean I won't become suspicious when their behavior gets all weird and fishy. I will actually start questioning myself even deeper if that happens.

So I could even start disagreeing with something I originally agreed with if I realize that there is a serious error occurring in our logic. And a thread derailer often displays this type of serious error blatantly.

But I know what you mean though, tons of people just simply agree with someone based on this "status". It's extremely foolish and childish. I can't stand it honestly. It chaps my hide to see people follow blindly.

Also, we are all guilty of it from time to time. It's human nature. "Status" is integral to our society and culture in every aspect of our lives.

So those with "high status" will always get easy rides, where those with "low status" typically get treated the worst. This is basic society mechanics.

I try to do my best to give all people equal grounds to play on though, despite their "status". I admit I screw up a lot though, and I am guilty as is anyone else.

I usually treat those with "high status" worse, while I treat those with "low status" much better. I am guilty just in the opposite way from the norm.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 04:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Reign02

Really now.

...you were postbanned because you were merely defending what you were saying?

I've had a look at the posts of yours that were removed prior to your postbanning - you conveniently neglect to mention your postbanning may possibly be because of the content of such and the manner in which you were *defending yourself* to other Members.

But - can a Mods present influence the flow of a thread?
I would imagine so. I know on other forums I tend to post somewhat differently if I'm aware there's a Mod in-thread.
Bit like even when I'm not speeding I'll check my speed and even slow down a little more whenever I see a Patrol Car...

...the inverse also happens. I've noticed some Members almost challenge Mods just for the sake of challenging them.

[edit on 27-8-2010 by alien]

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 04:49 AM
link   
The mods on this site are under the exact same rules you are. So, while they may unintentionally sway the conversation, not always but sometimes it happens.

But I wouldn't be afraid of what the mods say in thread when they are posting as a member, because after all they are just a person.

I know I am not ever afraid of disagreeing with a mod, although I may act more civilly towards that member than others. But I have no problem with disagreeing with a moderator.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 05:05 AM
link   
Something to consider...

Mod Note: Moderators Are People Too – Please Review This Link.

The staff is entitled to their opinion, sans using their position to unfairly leverage a given discussion. That being said, if a member gives undo credence to a post(s) due to the position of the author vice the actual content, then the onus and responsibility falls upon them.

This post was made without intent to unduly influence or derail the discussion.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 05:07 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

That's what I mean. We are not fully aware of those that police us. I'm sorry , but its true.

Peace.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 05:13 AM
link   

I don't understand that at all..

You know as much about me as I know about you.

I was a Member here for a number of years prior to joining staff and made friends I still have. None of that has changed..

You are as "aware" of me as I am "aware" of you..

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 05:19 AM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

Correct, but now you have the ability to hinder me opinion, as I do not you.

I do not have the ability to hinder what you say or what you do , as I cannot police your words and the contents of the T&C of ATS.

Please I DO NOT want to upset anyone. Obviously I was speaking of a particular situation, and not everyone.

Peace.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 05:35 AM
link   

Correct, but now you have the ability to hinder me opinion, as I do not you.

No he doesn't, he only has the ability to moderate content according to the Terms and Conditions.

I do not have the ability to hinder what you say or what you do , as I cannot police your words and the contents of the T&C of ATS.

If for some reason you do find that Semperfortis has broken one of the T&C his post has what every other member's post has an "Alert" button, you can press it and make your case as to what rule that you feel that Semperfortis has broken and it will get looked into. That post goes into a forum that is accessible by the staff and they can discuss it and determine if Semperfortis has actually violated the T&C and if so they will act appropriately.

[edit on 8/27/2010 by whatukno]

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 06:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by alien
reply to post by Reign02

Really now.

...you were postbanned because you were merely defending what you were saying?

I've had a look at the posts of yours that were removed prior to your postbanning - you conveniently neglect to mention your postbanning may possibly be because of the content of such and the manner in which you were *defending yourself* to other Members.

But nobody else was post banned for instigating and name calling first. Just because they used "smarter" ways of insulting my intelligence and I used curse words.... That's still insulting someone and I was recieving it from multiple people... They started it and the MOD finished it by banning the guy who the majority was against. Go team!!!!

[edit on 27-8-2010 by Reign02]

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 06:22 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

Really? You don't think some posts are stronger (better argued, better sourced, more persuasive, or even funnier) than others?

I certainly do.

Mods don't have any kind of monopoly on being "strong posters" in my mind; there are plenty of non-mods, vocal dissenters to ATS policy, and flat-out newbies who qualify.

But because of the way mods are picked here, I think most mods qualify as strong posters, most of the time. I think some of them are also flat-out wrong most of the time, but they're good at debate. And that can shape a thread -- for the better, most of the time, especially if there are strong posters on all sides of an issue.

[edit on 8/27/2010 by americandingbat]

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 08:00 AM
link   
I have to agree with ADB, she puts my thoughts into words best, there are some Mods who dont stand a chance at derailing certain subjects and or threads but it is always fun to watch a good debater argue for another side of the said threads direction.

I have noticed that there are very few who actually take sides when a Mod takes the opposing view on a thread, unless of course they really see things in the same way, but thank God the Mods dont run in packs like I have seen on other boards.

Still good question as in the larger picture and given enough time on the boards you will have a chance to experience a little bit of it all.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mirthful Me
Something to consider...

Mod Note: Moderators Are People Too – Please Review This Link.

"Moderator Are People Too"

Hmm! well, I'm not convinced yet! that's what they want us to believe, isn't it!?

I need some proof!

Just give me some time to consult David Icke's forum and I can hopefully find and deliver some strong arguments that Moderators worldwide are actually NOT people - but in fact, shape-shifting REPTILIANS!

That's why they shift their "theme" avatars so often - it's in their genetics to do so!

Semper is their leader btw!

[edit on 27-8-2010 by Chevalerous]

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Hmmm after a little thought i would say that yes a mods input will influence those members who assume that with titles and status comes knowledge.

Personally i do not believe that just because a person is a mod/supermod they are endowed with all-knowing wisdom, far from it, nor do i believe that they have suddenly become detached from their egos and are not tempted to use that influence.

Whether we like it or not, there is a form of elitism occurring on ATS, sometimes it is length of membership, other times it is contribution level and lastly mod-ship.
But i would add that this elitism only occurs amongst those members who are inherently elitist who are in my opinion a small minority.

My advice to any member willing to take it, is to ignore all titles/status and to simply state what 'you' feel is an appropriate response to a thread, do not be intimidated by the 'presence' of a mod/supermod, they are just another human being with the full range of weaknesses that we all suffer and are just as likely to be completely ignorant of a given subject as anyone else.

We should all remember that the next newbie could be Stephen Hawking and that every member has equal value to this site.

My two pence.

Cosmic...

[edit on 27-8-2010 by Cosmic4life]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join