It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ban Mixed Martial Arts! 'Human Savagery'

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 02:07 AM
link   
Canadian Doctors Want to Ban Mixed Martial Arts

Doctors in Canada have decided to push for a ban on mixed martial arts. "The aim is to disable and maim your opponent,” the internist leading the charge told his colleagues at the Canadian Medical Association's annual meeting. “We should not tolerate this so-called sport in a civilized society.”
source

Human 'Savagery' - A 'Social Issue'?

Or one more attempt at the emasculation of Human Kind?

I'll toss the question out.

Do you believe the 'savagery' of events such as Ultimate Fighting should be banned or not? That “We should not tolerate this so-called sport in a civilized society.”

My personal opinion?

If you don't want to get hurt? Don't go in the cage.

If you don't like the 'savagery' turn the bloody channel, get your big fat honker out of other people's business and leave the rest of us alone!

LET'S GET READY TO RUMBLE!!!

peace

Edit=fix link

[edit on 27-8-2010 by silo13]

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 02:15 AM
link   
football has far more serious and permanent injuries then MMA. The referees do a great job in preventing serious injuries. Even boxing is more dangerous because of you get knocked down they give you a standing 8 count and then let you proceed to get smashed in the head another 400 times.

In MMA if you are not intelligently defending yourself the ref will stop the fight this simple fact makes what could be a seriously dangerous sport relatively safe. It's like a controlled street fight ( except with much better technique) with a few rules to protect the fighters from serious injuries.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 02:18 AM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

I've a great deal of respect for the refs I've seen. A few others, well, as the story goes you can't let one rotten apple.

My question though - Do you think the 'savagery' witnessed in the cage is an affront to 'Modern Society'?

Thanks
peace

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 02:27 AM
link   
Not at all I am an MMA practitioner and fan it's good ole fashioned fun and competition. Those Canadian doctors will have a lot of pissed off Canadian fans if they succeed as George St Pierre a Canadian is the current world welter weight champ and national hero.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 02:28 AM
link   
I bet these so called "Doctors" would have called an end to Gladiator fights to the death as well. Geeezes Christ.

But seriously. These guys are well trained and actually receive far less injuries than most contact sports. In N.Z. lots of young guys get permanent spinal injuries from Rugby.

Royce Gracie is a legend. Look him up. He could bring the biggest guy down sometimes without a punch.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 02:36 AM
link   
People have always craved for bloody fights, e.g gladiators. MMA is a bloody and violent sport but the current rules lower the risk of serious injury and death (Tap out, 8 count bla bla). If they ban MMA then they might aswell ban all full contact sports. This is just stupid, worrying about MMA increasing the risk of violence (damn right it does) but what about the other S*** they bring on TV making your '12 year old daughter promiscuous' and your sons 'trigger happy'. The video games they play? the movies they watch? The magazines they read? Its all just a bunch of BS, if anything they are trying to destroy and dumb down future generations so you can expect full contact sports to get bloodier in the future, maybe even include weapons in a few years who knows!.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 02:43 AM
link   
I believe MMA is well suited for our 'Modern Society' where majority are ego driven and uncompassionate toward others. The doctors in Canada are generally even less compassionate then the rest, so I'm not sure why all the sudden they care about MMA. If they wanted to show how much they care about the people then they would stop pumping drugs in to them every chance they got.

[edit on 27-8-2010 by endlessknowledge]

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 03:20 AM
link   
They banned MMA before but resumed it with the weight classes and strict rules. It was a true mixed martial art before like pitting a kickboxer against a sumo wrestler and such. When Royce Gracie won x number of times, everyone suddenly started spooning.

All that hugging made me a non-fan of MMA. Boxing on the other hand, now that's a savage sport. Naked from the waist up and the goal is to knock the other guy out or at least try.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 03:23 AM
link   
I am the total opposite.

I think we should create the Unreal Tournament, but real life style.

Where the hardest and most ruthless of prison convicts are pitted against each other in a battle for life and death, with the most advanced weaponry in the world. We could have Deathmatch, Team Deathmatch, Capture the Flag, Assault, etc. It would be truly UNREAL!!

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 03:32 AM
link   
I studied two different martial arts over 6 years, one of which was a mixture of styles in itself. Our instructor always taught a great deal of responsibility in tandem with the techniques and forms.

I don't see any reason for them to be banned. People should be more worried about scared people with guns.

IRM

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 03:45 AM
link   
There's a couple of things wrong here but since I don't have time to go into detail I'd just like to say that martial arts is taught and used to DEFEND oneself, not to attack another. That is why a lot of UFC is grapples and holds.

Also, the video you posted it from 1993, back when there was not much safety regulation in the game. A lot has changed.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 03:47 AM
link   
MMA was already banned in Ontario. Until recently the fights had to take place on Reserves.
They are just starting to allow fights as normal promotions here.
Really does not allowing fights most places, while they can still take place some places anyway, make any sense at all?

Whats really funny is that in the bar business which has really been ruined lately by the non smoking legislation, knock down drag out brawls were a nightly occurance, in the bas and out in the parking lots, and on the streets, with no rules, and no referees, and in hockey having the "gloves come off" is the first stage of a good bash up...

Drug testing for doctors maybe?

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 03:48 AM
link   
I've studied Jeet Kune Do as well as Boxing, martial arts only serve to better ourselves, and fighting to express, and ultimately compare our skill.

Why do I have a feeling these " doctors" were probably picked last in TeeBall ??

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 03:50 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

Where the hardest and most ruthless of prison convicts are pitted against each other in a battle for life and death, with the most advanced weaponry in the world. We could have Deathmatch, Team Deathmatch, Capture the Flag, Assault, etc. It would be truly UNREAL!!

Why not?
Raise money for the victim's families, for feeding the homeless, helping Veteran's of War?
Great idea.
IF the convicts want to participate, why the hell not.

peace

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 03:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by silo13
reply to post by muzzleflash

Why not?
Raise money for the victim's families, for feeding the homeless, helping Veteran's of War?
Great idea.
IF the convicts want to participate, why the hell not.

peace

YEAH! These people that were locked away for hurting each other should be forced to hurt each other for our entertainment! Yeah! Makes heaps of sense!

Also that is essentialy the plot of the film 'Gamer'.
en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 27/8/10 by Nventual]

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 03:54 AM
link   
What a load of rubbish. Boxing is more savage and harmful. How many punches to the head to youthink a boxer takes in his career?

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 03:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Nventual

YEAH! These people that were locked away for hurting each other should be forced to hurt each other for our entertainment!

Did you miss the IF in my post?

And yes, IF the convicts want to participate, and IF it's to the death, do it.

What, you really think after all those years spent in lock up they're going to go back out on the streets like meek little bunny wabbits that wont hwurt a fwy?

If the prison system is not going to rehabilitate criminals (and we know it's not) and if these men and women want to participate in a all out kill or be killed brawl? Let them.

peace

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 04:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by silo13

IF the convicts want to participate, and IF it's to the death, do it.

Okay, sure, but to whom will this benefit?
Are people going to watch it? Will it be entertainment? Is it just going to be between 2 prisoners and no one else knows about it?

If it's 2 people going at each other for their own entertainment and no one elses then it's no different than what they do on the street. If it's 2 people going at it for someone elses entertainment, for example mine and yours, then it is WRONG.

Either way it seems redundant.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 04:41 AM
link   
Have you people ever seen Ultraviolent Wrestling like CZW or IWA-MS?
They use lighttubes, glass, barbed wire, fire, burning barbed wire, C4, knifes and even Cars! A pretty bad sight was Ian Rotten who got some thumbtacks to his head. That just has to hurt.
The fans can get also really creative with the weapon they build for the wrestlers, like a dildo with thumbtacks on it but mostly they use household items like VCRs, old video game consoles, guitars, pans, TVs and so on.
In Japan they also use animals like piranhas or electric eels.
Oh and at the Tournament of Death 1 Nick Mondo got a weedwhaker to his stomach, the blood and flesh was splattering all over the place.
(And despite what some people may think, ultraviolent wrestling isn't fake, the blood, the injuries, everything is real, you can see it from all the scars those guys and girls have - luckily nobody died so far, though Nick Gage came really close to dying after he lost a #load of blood)

Compared to that MMA is harmless, after all that's a "real sport" with rules.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 04:54 AM
link   
I currrently study MMA (Red belt in karate grading base), and it is good for your fitness, and very respectful and used for defence.
Any tournament fighting is usually done by practitioners that want to do it with a desire to be the best, the refereeing is good esp. at high levels - and when it comes to the grappling base one can always tap out.
Furthermore there are strict rules, weight classes and amateur, semi pro and pro scaling.
I personally dont see it as savagery at all, its usually the unfortunate nature of cuts or flash knockouts that can make it look bad.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join