It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Massive solar storm to hit Earth in 2012 with 'force of 100m bombs'

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 06:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by naeem11111

Do you know who gave the mayans the technology and know how about the universe? They weren't the only ones to know, so did the Atlanteans too, but they opted for the negative, and that destroyed them. For the mayans, positive and their 'wonders' still stand today.

Regards, Naeem

That's the same kind of claim that if you don't follow a particular God, or Godess you will be sent to hell...

Disasters occur, the Mayan tribes had to spread all over the world the same as the Atlantean civilization.

Along the coast of the Meidterranean along there are dozens, upon dozens of cities which have been claimed by the oceans, and by natural events.

We know that ancient people, including many Native American tribes and entire civilizations had to move, or were destroyed because of NATURAL events.

No matter how close a tribe is to nature, such tribe, or civilization will be affected by NATURAL disasters.

It is part of life, and the cycle that the whole universe goes through.

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 03:21 AM
link   
I find it slightly appalling that here we are, a bunch of pretty intellectualy minded folks, with a topic as interesting as the possibility of a MASSIVE solar storm, and the best of the debate, the best of the discussion that flies up around it revolves around mysticism and defeatism.

'Oh its all about the mayan calander, oh we are all gonna die and be sad and boo hoo bloody hoo'

Its a waste of a good topic. Perhaps we ought to be collaberating on a survival checklist for when it all goes wrong? Perhaps we ought to concentrate on what happens after, and rather than bleating and whining about what can go wrong, perhaps we ought to get our heads together and come up with a plan for rebuilding society should it collapse?
But Im sure other folks have better ideas , like those folks who want to argue about which religious or mystic tome this event was predicted in... I despair sometimes I really do.

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Korg Trinity

conspiracy hipsters... a sad sight.

what happened to abovetopsecret. it used to be intelligent. now nearly everyone is some retarded kid being scared or a braindead kid acting as if he has all answers to everything.

on ats, its not about fear. if it happens we embrace it as a happening on earth, if theres nothing that can be done. mainly because these are theories , which are very interesting and have been discussed for longer than most of you have been alive.

nasa has concluded for awhile that the solar maximum will be bigger than its been in recorded history. instead of being fearful or completely block out the chance, just accept the theory, seriously this is getting bad. i can't even enjoy most of this website because of the scared little kids crying. its just interesting.

IF YOU ARE SCARED GET THE 4UCK OFF ATS

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Oooh Yeah,I can't wait for this to happen,Now the world can end a new way.

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by tylermbell

I couldnt have said it better myself !
2ND line!

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Wait a minute, why does this all sound familiar.....hmmmm... oh yeah, this was the same fear that surrounded the new millenium that helped sell books. When September 11 happened, a lot of people were saying, "This must be what the Mayans were talking about."

This stuff will never end.

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 10:35 PM
link   
so what can be done to prepare for this solar magnetic wave...????

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 03:17 AM
link   
reply to post by PPGrocks

Well , lets assume that any technology which relies on stable power sources like wall sockets and grid outlets is defunct. What you need therefore is methods of getting things done which do not involve electricity. So houses will have to be heated with fire (carefully mind you), traveling will have to be done in more traditional ways, like by horse, and cart for larger loads, that kind of thing.
So get together some kindling and so forth and see what you can make fire wise without setting fire to your house !
Also something I was thinking about , is what would the effect be of this comming storm on photo-voltaic cells, i.e. solar panels? If you waited till the storm passed, then provided you had a device which contained NO energy while the storm was happening (Im lead to believe the effects of the storm would render any item which had a charge beyond immediate repair), then you could bring out your panel and begin to produce power for yourself to run small scale water heating, cooking equipment and so on.
But in the main, you only need to do two things. Use your survival skills and teach them to others, or learn some, and then teach them to others. We do NOT need motor cars, tv, GPRS or any of that other lame weak crap. Our species has survived for hundreds of thousands of years without electricity, and in my view this is an oppertunity for men to once again be men, rather than pathetic mewling desk jockeys.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 12:55 AM
link   
question, will cars work after a CME or will it be like a EMP and no cars would work. We have a ranch 4 hours away we would go to if SHTF but im trying to fugure is my car would work. if not would my dirtbike work?

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 01:05 AM
link   
reply to post by camaro68ss

Cars, iPods, laptops, and other electronic devices would not be affected. Well, they could be if they are plugged in at the time.

But...gas pumps run on electricity. If the power goes out you're only going to get as far as the fuel in your tank will take you.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

OK, So a CME's Characteristics are completely different from EMP?

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 10:04 AM
link   

A Coronal Mass Ejection is an event which occurs on the sun.Therefore yes its different to an EMP. The question is, will a sufficiently powerful CME cause an ElectroMagnetic Pulse when the ejected material from the sun interacts with our atmosphere. And I dont know the answer... Oh Mighty Phage... visit upon us your wisdom!

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

I know the difference between the two. But why is there a difference between the two when it comes to the power grid and electronics. If a CME went off wouldn’t it be like a EMP and wipe all electronics out?

I believe a CME is a higher threat to us then a EMP blast happening over America and I would like to know what would work and what wouldn’t work. Why are these two different when It comes to the outcome of electronics cars and power grids

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 10:15 AM
link   
You people can argue back and forth until you are blue in the face, but the reality is, if the end of the world is coming then there is nothing you can do about it. I, on the other hand, am not going to let people drive so much fear in me that I can't enjoy my life. In my mind, we are all going to be fine. If you let fear take over your life, it's not going to be a life much worth living, will it?

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by stephanies-chase
You people can argue back and forth until you are blue in the face, but the reality is, if the end of the world is coming then there is nothing you can do about it. I, on the other hand, am not going to let people drive so much fear in me that I can't enjoy my life. In my mind, we are all going to be fine. If you let fear take over your life, it's not going to be a life much worth living, will it?

I dont see any arguing anywere??? we chose to lison to NASA's data and prepare for massive power outages. Thats fine you want to live in a fairytail land of hopes and dreams and by all means do so. its just one less person to compeat with when the SHTF. ITs happend before in the past and has been documented and your ignorance in the end is whats going to kill you.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 10:35 AM
link   
The principle danger is that the influx of charged particles will alter the magnetic field and interact with the millions of miles of conducting wire in the global power grid, generating more power than the system was designed handle. Mostly, this means that circuit breakers would start tripping and the lights would go out. Within minutes, police and fire departments, hospitals, etc, would switch to gasoline powered generators and continue to provide emergency services. The charged ionosphere would interfere with long distance radio communication. Satellites, and hence GPS and other conveniences, are particularly vulnerable to the sudden electromagnetic surge, and there is a risk that their programming could be erased. This is of grave concern to the military, but a mere inconvenience to those of us who grew up learning to navigate by map and compass and wait for an "overseas line" when phoning abroad. Not, I repeat, not the end of the world.

Edit to add: There may be some accelerated corrosion in older pipelines, so there is some risk of gas leaks and possible explosions... but more modern infrastructures have been taking this into account.

[edit on 2-9-2010 by DJW001]

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 11:00 AM
link   

My ignorance? If TSHTF I will have to deal with it like everyone else. Because I'm not going to freak out and become a paranoid freak, that makes me ignorant? I wanna know what you are doing to prepare for the solar catastrophe?.....thats right, nothing. So sit on your computer and continue spreading fear. I'm gonna actually live my life.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by stephanies-chase

My ignorance? If TSHTF I will have to deal with it like everyone else. Because I'm not going to freak out and become a paranoid freak, that makes me ignorant? I wanna know what you are doing to prepare for the solar catastrophe?.....thats right, nothing. So sit on your computer and continue spreading fear. I'm gonna actually live my life.

calm down my frined, no hard feelings. Me and my family are actually doing a lot for ourselves to be prepared. I for one have about a 35 day supply of MRE’s and water for one person. I also have a AR-15 with 2,000 rounds, a Glock .45 with 500 rounds and two .22 with 1,000 rounds. I also started a seed bank. All this would be brought up to my family’s ranch 4 hours away from my house when the SHFT happens. If not we have earthquakes a lot and its always good to have a emergence supply of food and water.

My family’s ranch is in the mountains at a elevation of 3,000 ft. its remote and somewhat off the map. Not a lot of people visit up there. it is 1,200 acres with a river flowing through it. We piped in a 8 mile 6in water main from a natural spring higher up in the mountains that supplies us with year round clean drinking water and irrigation water. The pipe and water is dumped into a pond that feeds 7 other ponds that are fully stocked with fish. We have nearly 40 head of cattle, chickens, and all the wild life you could want. Plus a walk in gun save with 4 AR-15’s, 3 shotguns 10 different hand guns and 7 different rifles.

The power supply is provided by solar power and if it comes to it I know how to make windmills for power as well if we need to.

What are you doing to prepare……. Nothing??? so sit on your computer and play pritty pritty pony why we get ready for the CME that might come.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Don't worry friend, there are no hard feelings. You go ahead and get prepared. I don't really have the time...too much pretty pretty pony to be played.

Best wishes to you and your family

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by vvb79

in.news.yahoo.com

Astronomers are predicting that a massive solar storm, much bigger in potential than the one that caused spectacular light shows on Earth earlier this month, is to strike our planet in 2012 with a force of 100 million hydrogen bombs.

Such doomsaying NONSENSE. Aside from which, "sometime in 2012" is NOT a DATE. It is a YEAR. They don't even say anything specific will happen in 2012, they just hem and haw that the solar cycle will peak in 2012, or, well, MAYBE 2013 (we don't really know). This is just sensationalist NONSENSE.

Seriously, take a look at the "predictions" by date of the length and severity of the new solar cycle:

They've kept revising their predictions downward and downward and downward making the solar cycle longer and less powerful.

The most recent prediction registered in July has the current cycle peaking at only about half the strength of the last cycle and much later than originally expected.

Yet they expect us to continue to believe this will be "the most violent solar maximum on record?" Pfft! I call SHENANIGANS...

They can't even predict the basic strength and duration of a solar cycle, how can they claim with any certainty what will happen on smaller cale over shorter durations.

I put exactly 0 faith in any of their "predictions" for this solar cycle. 'Cause so far solar scientists have had a sh!tty track record on predictions...

And, to be clear, EVEN IF some major event does happen, frankly, it's not a PREDICTION, it's simply a fact of big event ALWAYS happen at or near solar maximum. It's like saying "I think it's going to be hottest around noon or slightly thereafter on a sunny day." It's meaningless common-sense NONSENSE. And "large" events CAN happen during ANY cycle, even slow cycles. Though big / fast cycles are probably MORE likely to have bigger events, and this appears to be an extended, drawn-out low-powered cycle so far. Basically an extended solar minimum so far. The sun is still pretty darned blank and most measures of solar wind, photons of various wavelength and magnetic fields seem to be still largely in the toilet.

If they could nail down a specific date/time range, magnitude, etc. Then I might be impressed. Until then, these nutty doom-sayers need to shut their pie holes and find something better to do. I'm SO TIRED of listening to this rubbish by people who think they know what they're talking about but seem to actually have no clue.

Their track records speak for themselves.

I'm out.
~MG

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15 >>

join