It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NKorea releases American imprisoned since January

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 01:52 AM
link   

NKorea releases American imprisoned since January

hosted.ap.org

Looking gaunt but relieved, an American freed after nearly seven months jailed in North Korea left Pyongyang on Friday in the company of former U.S. President Jimmy Carter.

Aijalon Gomes, 31, hugged Carter just before they boarded a plane at Pyongyang's airport, footage aired by broadcaster APTN in North Korea showed.

Carter had flown to the North Korean capital three days earlier on a rare private mission to negotiate Gomes' release.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.newser.com

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 01:52 AM
link   

(Former) President Jimmy Carter - (so often thrown to the curb by biased Americans) courteously 'requested' a pardon for this man, and got it - so let's give credit where credit is due.
At 85 years of age President Carter went into the 'lion's den' and brought an American citizen home - alive.

Hats off to you President Carter.

Increasingly interesting (to me) it's reported the 'freeing' of this Boston man was 'aired live', the hug exchanged between President Carter and his American friend broadcast 'live' on North Korean television.

Seems to me to do so goes against all we 'hear' about Korea North.

Who knows who's doorstep the propaganda can be left at on this occasion.

peace

hosted.ap.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 27-8-2010 by silo13]

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 01:55 AM
link   
I'm just waiting for Kim Jong Il to pass away as a result. What's weird is that after Jimmy Carter's last visit Kim Il Sung passed away. Maybe Jimmy Carter is a master assassin and that is why Kim Jong Il was not there. One can only imagine.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 01:57 AM
link   
Kimmy was out back, in China, taking a wizz...
NK officials just let him slip out the side door.

Way to go Jimmy.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 02:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

I'm just waiting for Kim Jong ll to pass away as a result. What's weird is that after Jimmy Carter's last visit Kim ll Sung passed away.

WOW

Not that I want anyone to die, but, if it did happen as you suggest? WOW!

*Gobsmacked at the thought*

*Goes to take a MUCH CLOSER look at lil' Jimmy*

peace

[edit on 27-8-2010 by silo13]

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 02:19 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

That's what I was thinking. Maybe it's just a weird coincidence.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 02:49 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Yay! Jimmy Carter rocks! Maybe more than he did as POTUS.

Why is it thst some sort of has beens get to free peeps who sort of messed up?

Where's our POTUS'es? This is not the first time. Why can't they be diplomatic?

And, when is a Bush former POTUS going to do something like this?

Heh..................just cuz.....................lol

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 02:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

I despise Jimmy Carter, and i LOATHE Kimmy......both have their own personal agendas........

I will however eat crow.......Jimmy, good job man.....even tho i think this is a total stunt for you, you did right..........

Once again.......this conservative will swallow his previous statements and say..........thank you for doing a good thing......

Kudos to Jimmy

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 02:56 AM
link   
reply to post by ManBehindTheMask

Well conservative or liberal Jimmy Carter is a great person. Not fit to be president. But he knows how to work with a foreign power to get our hostages.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 08:31 AM
link   
photo source

Thanks Again President Carter!

A smile flickered across Aijalon Gomes' face as he hugged former U.S. President Jimmy Carter and boarded a plane for Boston on Friday, seven months after his arrest in North Korea.

Carter flew to the North Korean capital, Pyongyang, this week on a private mission to secure a pardon for the 31-year-old American.
source

peace

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 08:40 AM
link   
nononononononoonon NOOO
wrong title
for once i agree with a CNN title

CARTER WINS THE RELEASE OF THE AMERICANS IN NORTH KOREA
your title should be like this

this news is simply GREAT news .. for once we can have good news in the world today always filled with bad news

im sure he reasonated Kim with something like:

hey Kim you should release those Americans hikers
you dont have any choice but it will advantage you in many ways
to the world ... Obama wont use this reason to invade and destroy your countries... and you will show to the world that you have some heart in this troubling time ... im your friend trust my judgment on this
it will only bring more pain if you keep the hikers aways from their famillies

Kim : konishiwa .. mista carté .. you speek the throut

i simply love Carter

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Really makes you think about all the innocent people WE'VE got locked up, likely in worse conditions and being tortured, in guantanamo or other 'black sites.'

This whole story just seems like more PR bologna.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 09:14 AM
link   
What I find suspicious is the timing. Around this time last year it was Clinton that was in Pyongyang. It's officially tourist season now in North Korea, yes, I am serious. I was there this time last year to see the Arirang Games. Which is the last remaining mass gymnastic display in the world. I bet they both [Clinton and Carter] wanted to check them out.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

Hey, I agree 100% - problem is if there's a thread with the name Jimmy Carter in the heading it will just get ignored.

This way I rope people into giving the former President credit whether they like to or not!

*Sneaky grin*

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by silo13
reply to post by Ben81

Hey, I agree 100% - problem is if there's a thread with the name Jimmy Carter in the heading it will just get ignored.

This way I rope people into giving the former President credit whether they like to or not!

*Sneaky grin*

.. i also agree with you

S&F

[edit on 8/27/2010 by Ben81]

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 02:53 AM
link   

While Jimmy Carter was in North Korea. This is what Kim Jong Il was doing on the way to China.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 02:21 AM
link   

UPDATE

Interesting update here.

Carter never met with Kim Jong-il. He was 'snubbed' - Unlike President Clinton who was met with Kim Jong-il last year while petitioning for the release of two American women who were seized while filming a documentary in N.K.

Former President Jimmy Carter flew teacher-preacher Aijalon Gomes from North Korea to Boston on Friday after apparently waiting three days for North Korea’s "Dear Leader" Kim Jong-il to honor him with a face-to-face meeting.

Instead, Kim’s second in command, Kim Yong Nam, received Mr. Carter in a ceremony on Wednesday night...

Some other questions I hope will be answered - if for no other reason than to know the rest of the story.

Was the 600k ransom paid before Mr. Gomes was released, and who paid it?

Also, who paid for the trip?

There was no indication who paid the fine, or how, but the clear inference was that North Korean authorities had gotten the money before Gomes’s departure. Nor is it yet known who chartered or paid for the jet that carried Carter and his entourage to Pyongyang on Wednesday.

quotes source

peace

new topics

top topics

join