It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is going on in South Korea...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 03:02 AM
link   
According to the report from this link....

"Dear passengers, let's think again about the parents and sisters and brothers we love and the preciousness of our life."

people who leap to their deaths in front of subway trains.
check out the statistics

Driven by debt, lost love, terminal disease and other miseries, 95 people killed themselves in Seoul's subway system last year, up from the 58 in 2002. So far this year, 37 people have ended their lives the same way.

Thats a 61 percent increase form 2002 to 2003.

One driver who exchanged gazes with a man who died under his train later suffered a mental breakdown and was transferred to a non-driving post.

Could this be the reason why the south koreans are sending an army of 3000 men to Iraq. I guess there's a difference to dying honorably in combat and leaping in front of a train.

In an unrelated case last year, a subway driver with a history of mental problems committed suicide by jumping in front of a colleague's train.

This is very disturbing. What are they doing differently...

"The goal of our 'music therapy' is to soothe the minds of potential suicides. Experts say it works on animals."

In this quote the article reducs South Koreans to that of animals. Since when did animals commit suicide????? In other parts of the world, namely England, back when I was there, Tower Bridge and London Bridge, were popular places for people commiting suicide. At least thats what rumor had it.. Are these researches approaching the problem efficetively, like come on, music therapy?? This is getting out of hand..

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 06:25 AM
link   

The music fades and a preacher-like male voice intones: "Dear passengers, let's think again about the parents and sisters and brothers we love and the preciousness of our life."

Hmm I guess it is better than doing nothing, but that dialogue is waaaay too cheesy

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 07:03 AM
link   
So it's an increase in suicides at subway stations.

When people discover a good way to end it all, they use it. Here in the UK we have a cliff called Beachy Head which is a popular suicide point. Just because it bacame popular doesn't mean that it figures in world politics.
You have to take a look at the suicide figure in South Korea overall. It's marginally up on the last couple of years but follows the world trend.
Compared to some Western countries, South Korea is way down the list. And compared to the Eastern European countries it doesn't even figure.
The Korean media claim that their country has the fastest growing suicide rate in the world but this just isn't true - this dubious honour goes to India.

There's hardly a link to this and Iraq. To say otherwise is just wishful thinking.

Just for the record, here's a list of some countries (it's not complete) that have a higher suicide rate than South Korea.

Lithuania
Russian Federation
Estonia
Latvia
Kazakhstan
Hungary
Belarus
Slovenia
Sri Lanka
Finland
Ukraine
Croatia
Republic of Moldova
Switzerland
France
Austria
Luxembourg
Belgium
Cuba
Bulgaria
Denmark
Japan
Poland
Czech Republic
New Zealand
Germany
Yugoslavia
Canada
Romania
Mauritius
Sweden
United States of America
Norway
Australia
Ireland

Source is WHO.

posted on Jun, 29 2004 @ 09:48 PM
link   
honestly,im not surprised.

Look at what the korean citezens get: nothing.

Pretty much 90 percent of their country is military, or something like that.

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 03:12 PM
link   
And the other 10% of the economy is electronics, I'm guessing, cuz they're beating the Japanese in the electronics competition with their cellphones, Plasma TVs, and washers and dryers.

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Could it be from the horrible music and television shows that is passed off as "entertainment"? Seriously, if I had that and karaoke for entertainment, I might jump in front of a train also.

Speaking of...has everyone seen the "banned from tv" woman get hit by a train? That gave me nightmares for a week.

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Leveller
So it's an increase in suicides at subway stations. (followed by a list of countries)

Why did u receive a 'warning' for this post
What's 'wrong' with it?

Editing this post due to having received a 'warning' via U2U for 'excessive posting' for posting the above quote in its entirety (something I was not even aware of!) and Ive been penalized 20 points for it!

I find this unbelievably ironic and unfair!

[edit on 3-7-2004 by Cattlespy]

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Yeah, why did Leveller receive a warn for this? It is a well researched post?

Is this an error? Or has somebody got toe-jam growing among their dendrites???

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall
Yeah, why did Leveller receive a warn for this? It is a well researched post?

Is this an error? Or has somebody got toe-jam growing among their dendrites???

Good questions. I entered this thread hoping to find answers to them.

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 09:37 PM
link   
I was forced to edit my above post in which I provided the entire 'quote' regarding the various countries with more suicides - as I was penalized for it by 20 points and received a *warning*!!!!

And I was simply trying to discover what was wrong with that post in the first place and why IT received a warning!

posted on Jul, 4 2004 @ 12:00 AM
link   
If you have issues and/or complaints, please utilize the complaint/suggestion button, no need to derail the discussion like this.

I didn't apply the warn and not sure who did, but the poster can reply to his warning u2u and resolve this behind the scenes. Thanks.

posted on Jul, 4 2004 @ 04:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall
Yeah, why did Leveller receive a warn for this?

It's no conspiracy.
One of the mods pressed the "warn" button on me by mistake.

I like to think that his finger was dangling above the "vote for Leveller, he is great" button but he pressed the wrong one in nerves created by awe. I haven't been penalised in points - in fact, I gained another 100 to make up for it.

Still. Make me look like a "bad boy" dontcha think?

top topics

join