It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Picking up the Stolen Pieces of Iraq's Cultural Heritage"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Picking up the Stolen Pieces of Iraq's Cultural Heritage"

www.nytimes.com

Sumerian artifacts being sold on the black market. Ancient cities are being ransacked and the United Nations has a sticky hand in the pot. War has enabled humans first cities to be cut away and sold for millions of dollars. Soldiers have been sanctioned away from sites and no one is watching the desert. Sumerian tablets containing the first written language are also up on the market. Poverty ridden Iraqis are selling humans history for mere thousands and those with enough money buy for millions.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.israelnewsagency.com
www.youtube.com

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 10:25 PM
link   
After reading this article, I first became overwhelmed at the thought of how many pieces of the world’s history are lost. I believe these artifacts should be carefully studied and the findings should be made public. Unfortunately, unnumbered pieces, I cannot even understand, will never be seen. War has created a chaotic atmosphere where looters are ransacking ancient treasures and selling them. Poverty ridden people so desperate, that they are selling their history. But it wouldn’t be possible if there wasn’t a demand for such items. They shouldn’t be in a private collectors vault.

I explored further into stolen treasures from Mesopotamia, Iraq. After reading many articles upon it, I felt an overwhelming sense of despair. I narrowed my search of stolen art down a considerable amount since there are too many sites to fathom. When I stumbled upon this little gem, I researched further. Although earliest records of Nineveh date to the 2nd millennia BC, it was Sennacherib who made the city magnificent. Sennacherib Palace (Palace without Rival) dates back to 700 BC and is the largest palace of the time, having over 80 rooms. Its walls held between 100-150,000 people and the walls were approx 22 (72 ft) meters tall. Roughly, 3,000(10,000 ft) meters of stone panels carved the bas-relief. In 612 BC, Babylonians and Medes ransacked the castle walls.

Modern day Sennacherib Palace has suffered a devastating disaster. The ancient ruins now are a museum that has been looted over and over again. Because there is war, military forces are not guarding the site. One archeologist who was studying the site documented with words and pictures his findings. He saw pieces of Sennacherib walls being sold in international art markets. Nimrud is another city that’s bas-relief is being sold piece by piece. Bas-reliefs are literally being ripped and torn away and sold.

The Cradle of Civilization is not only being looted but it is being gutted and skinned. These precious sites should be preserved. Yet you can buy an authentic cuneiform tablet or a Sumerian piece of jewelry for a measly few thousand dollars. For millions you can own the city walls. Looting has been around since Egyptian times. Yet robbers didn’t destroy whole cities. They weren’t organized with resources and money as they are today. I feel it is a Tragic Crime on Humanity.

www.nytimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 10:47 PM
link   
This really sucks. These are things that in the future if we dare to try to retrieve, it will cost us an arm and a leg.

It's not like the items are leaving earth or anything, but who ever can buy a tablet for over a million can sure as hell protect it.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 01:09 AM
link   
It is a shame, but if the local people give a damn about it they should stop it. Otherwise it will actually probably be enjoyed by someone who plucks it off the black market. Who ever said pieces of history were public goods. People spray paint monuments in the U.S., if you're buying something off the black market for such high prices at least we KNOW history is going to be taken care of...and some punk kid won't be spray painting it or someone's kid running their acid ridden hands all over it. Think about it...it's good and bad. Bad because pieces are separated, but good because those pieces could damn well be in much better condition than they otherwise would have been.

[edit on 27-8-2010 by yellowcard]

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 02:43 AM
link   
[Note: I do not believe the following whatsoever. But it makes for a compelling conspiracy theory, no?]

[Silent thunder puts on his shiniest tinfiol hat]

And here, ladies and gentlemen, we come to the end of the rainbow at last.

Now it can be revealed.

In this seemingly innocuous article lies a vital key to the whole of geopolitics. The reason for the middle east war itself, among other things.

The war was not about oil. Not about terror. Not about politics. It was about destroying and scattering the last bits of precious evidence that would prove and flesh out the story of the Annunaki overlords. Not to mention vital information on the Nephilim, the unspeakable secrets of "Mystery Babylon," and who knows what else. Iraq. Bablyon. Sumeria. It was all there for the world to see. TPTB couldn't have that. Now...priceless tablets crushed to dust and scattered to the four winds. TBTB can breathe a sigh of relief. The secrecy of their Annunaki/Nephilim overlords has been protected. Saddam sealed his own fate when he threatened to go public and global with the evidence, collected in Baghdad. It was this threat that triggered the war.

Of course, recall that the museum was among the first things "looted" in the 2003 invasion...the very first day! The MSM cravenly put the blame on anarchic citizens and treasure-seekers, but this was the single most important operation of the war, because it simultaneously achieved the goal of eliminating 90% of the evidence...and, even more nefariously, collecting the really valuable stuff, to be transported in the dead of night to the safest of safe underground bunkers, where even today the most elite toads of the NWO can access it and, rubbing their hands gleefully and cackling maliciously, use it for their own unspeakable ends and rituals. Preparing, no doubt, for the return of the Nibiroids and the epoch-shaking catyclisms of 2012.

[Silent thunder removes his tinfiol hat]

[edit on 8/27/10 by silent thunder]

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 11:05 AM
link   
I agree that these pieces ought to be preserved. That is why troops should be sanctioned in these ancient archeological sites to protect them from thievery and vandalism. Do you think these private collectors are doing the mass populations any favors in defending ancient texts? They are locked in a vault away from human eyes. This particular site mentioned in the article is a museum. People can visit and view for themselves the splendor of the Sumerian and Babylonian culture. That is if there is anything left to see. These sites should be protected so that the many can experience them.

However, we are getting further from that prospect as pieces are sold to private collectors. I feel we are being raped the privilege to explore for ourselves.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 11:26 AM
link   
I agree that the war wasn’t solely over oil. The war on terrorism is a front. It keeps people in fear that life as they know it can be ceased. But Iraqi’s are not the threat, our government is. I agree that they are abolishing evidence of the 13th planet and the Annunaki. Sumerians wrote of humanoid creatures who arrived on spaceships from the stars. The Gods sent them to teach humans and to show us the tools that aid in evolution. They described these beings as lifeless and metal humans. They depict them much like modern day androids. Who knows maybe we will see this 13th planet when the planetary systems align. I surely hope this earth is purged of its ignorance. The few that are in charge know what is going to happen. That is why they keep us in fear of 2012 because if we tap into our human ability, we may just learn the truth.

top topics

join