It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The first picture that really shows dark matter.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 09:35 PM
link   

That heart-shaped purple glow amidst that cluster of galaxies isn't bursting with love — it's dark matter, as measured by NASA's Cosmic Lens, and it may be our best clue to the mysterious nature of dark energy.

According to NASA:

For the first time, astronomers using NASA's Hubble Space Telescope were able to take advantage of a giant magnifying lens in space - a massive cluster of galaxies - to narrow in on the nature of dark energy. Their calculations, when combined with data from other methods, significantly increase the accuracy of dark energy measurements. This may eventually lead to an explanation of what the elusive phenomenon really is. ...

io9.com

View Larger Image

--------------

Wow, look at all the galaxies.

Dark Engergy makes up around 72% of the universe, while Dark Matter makes up around 24%. (So they say.)

I find it pretty cool that the dark matter photographed does look like a heart. I find it even cooler that each and everyone of those galaxies each have a chance to harbor life.

-Enjoy.

[edit on 26-8-2010 by Oozii]

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Oozii

Beautiful indeed, shows the wonders of our universe, which has no ending in sight.

Imagine if we one day manage to see dark matter, and then we see all these space crafts lol.

Dark matter does not reflect light or interact with ordinary matter except through gravity. So when dark matter is swallowed by a black hole, it behaves somewhat differently than normal matter, the new study found

The only connection we have to Dark Matter, and probably beings created from Dark Matter is Gravity.

If we can understand Gravity more, we can connect directly, and find way to interact with Dark Matter.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Oozii

Why am I supposed to believe that what looks like the glow of a tight cluster of celestial objects is actually dark matter.

Oh, wait. It's like being able to see dust in the kitchen because the sunrays shine through ever so warmly.

But, then, isn't dust just dark matter...?

In fact, now that I think about it, without light, all matter is dark!

Please help me to understand why I should believe what is being expressed to me here.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 10:02 PM
link   
This wasn't taken for the dark matter. Dark matter has been observed. I recall this:

August 21, 2006 - Dark Matter Observed: Most Direct Measurement of Dark Matter Allows Study of its Nature - Press Release

Menlo Park, CA—Dark matter, the elusive stuff that makes up a quarter of the universe, has been seen in isolation for the first time. Marusa Bradac of the Kavli Institute for Particle Astrophysics and Cosmology (KIPAC), located at the Department of Energy’s Stanford Linear Accelerator Center (SLAC), and her colleagues made the landmark observations by studying a galaxy cluster 3 billion light years away.

"We had predicted the existence of dark matter for decades, but now we've seen it in action," said Bradac. "This is groundbreaking."

The article talks about characteristics of light bending that are influenced by dark energy (the energy that seems to be responsible for an accelerating expansion of the universe).

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by oozyism
reply to post by Oozii

Beautiful indeed, shows the wonders of our universe, which has no ending in sight.

Imagine if we one day manage to see dark matter, and then we see all these space crafts lol.

Dark matter does not reflect light or interact with ordinary matter except through gravity. So when dark matter is swallowed by a black hole, it behaves somewhat differently than normal matter, the new study found

The only connection we have to Dark Matter, and probably beings created from Dark Matter is Gravity.

If we can understand Gravity more, we can connect directly, and find way to interact with Dark Matter.

If dark matter does not reflect light, then how are we EVER going to see it?

And I certainly wouldn't call it dark matter if it was ever a light source...

Maybe it's just me. Maybe logic isn't the answer here?

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by EnlightenUp

Dark matter has already been created, there is already companies that design and produce products which can hold dark matter efficiently.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 10:09 PM
link   

EnlightenUp,

IF that is what dark energy is and does, then the movement a leaf in the wind is caused by dark energy as well...

You can blow on a leaf, but you cannot literally see the energy itself... you could microscopically see all the particles that are being pushed by the energy, but the transfer of the energy from the power of the lungs to the movement of the leaf is literally invisible. Is this not also dark kinetic energy? Is not space dark potential energy?

But I think you see what I see - that the picture here does not in any way,shape, or form actually visibly show any dark matter or dark energy -- for in order to show dark energy, the picture would have to be a moving picture at the very least!

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by TarzanBeta

If dark matter does not reflect light, then how are we EVER going to see it?

And I certainly wouldn't call it dark matter if it was ever a light source...

Maybe it's just me. Maybe logic isn't the answer here?

Did you think the picture shows supposedly dark matter emitting light?

That is not true, the picture shows the gravitational weight of dark matter, see how it pulls light, gravity can pull light therefore they believe dark matter must exist in that place.

As I said previously, that is the only connection between us and them, Gravity, that is the only force which gives us hints of Dark Matter.

Think about this for a second, "What happens if dark matter meets matter?

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Wow, breathtaking image and in the shape of a heart!

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 10:18 PM
link   

The leaf blowing is simply the air molecules accelerating when hitting the leaf, which creates a force to move it.

Is this article conflating dark matter and dark energy, which I often see done? It talks about dark energy (despite its title), not dark matter but then talks about it like matter. Needless to say, I'm a bit confused by that. If it means "matter", it's not the first picture and I provided an article from 2006.

Dark matter is matter that doesn't interact with normal baryonic matter, photons or itself except gravitationally because it has mass. The dark energy is what causes accelerating expansion.

In all likihood, dark matter is zipping through you right now. Direct detection is possible but it rarely gets a bulls-eye hit with normal matter.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Did you think the picture shows supposedly dark matter emitting light?

That is not true, the picture shows the gravitational weight of dark matter, see how it pulls light, gravity can pull light therefore they believe dark matter must exist in that place.

As I said previously, that is the only connection between us and them, Gravity, that is the only force which gives us hints of Dark Matter.

Think about this for a second, "What happens if dark matter meets matter?

When I see that picture, I see purple outlining the cluster plus a galaxy on the top right. This to me indicates that the combined brightness of the cluster including that galaxy has created a glow for the camera - especially since the glow is centered directly in the middle of the image.

I understand what you mean by saying that matter has a gravitational pull, but I think that the way the purple outline also follows that galaxy in the upper right proves that this is a glow and not incredibly dense dark matter pulling on light... especially since I highly doubt that we would see the purple color escaping and not the other colors because color is just a wavelength.. not a velocity - and the velocity of all light, regardless of color (to my knowledge) is the same.

Immediately, for me, the picture is just pretty, like crazydaisy pointed out.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Dark matter has already been created, there is already companies that design and produce products which can hold dark matter efficiently.

Really? Where's that? How do they do it? Certainly not magnetically or electrostatically.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Like in the article I provided, I imagine the false purple color represents the computed distribution, not emitted light from anything.

Edit Bonus for source NASA article:
Cosmic Lens Used to Probe Dark Energy for First Time

So, we are actually talking about dark energy and it's effects on the path of light, not dark matter, in this case.

[edit on 8/26/2010 by EnlightenUp]

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by EnlightenUp

The leaf blowing is simply the air molecules accelerating when hitting the leaf, which creates a force to move it.

But the force moving the air molecules is invisible.

Is this article conflating dark matter and dark energy, which I often see done? It talks about dark energy (despite its title), not dark matter but then talks about it like matter. Needless to say, I'm a bit confused by that. If it means "matter", it's not the first picture and I provided an article from 2006.

Yeah - you would think that because people know the different between energy and matter that they would know the difference between the hypothetical dark energy and dark matter.

Dark matter is matter that doesn't interact with normal baryonic matter, photons or itself except gravitationally because it has mass. The dark energy is what causes accelerating expansion.

Allegedly. As well, if gravity is what it is cracked up to be, it is a weak force. Therefore, dark matter, if it exists, would have little to no interaction with anything. In fact, I think should be pointed out that if dark matter and dark energy exist, that people realize that dark matter and dark energy CANNOT relate with eachother because the force of gravity, if it exists as we believe, cannot act upon energy in its more pure forms as strongly as it does on matter - and gravity is a weak force as it is.

In all likihood, dark matter is zipping through you right now. Direct detection is possible but it rarely gets a bulls-eye hit with normal matter.

All energy is passing through us at all times. Agreed.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by EnlightenUp

Like in the article I provided, I imagine the false purple color represents the computed distribution, not emitted light from anything.

Edit Bonus for source NASA article:
Cosmic Lens Used to Probe Dark Energy for First Time

So, we are actually talking about dark energy and it's effects on the path of light, not dark matter, in this case.

I see...

I am going to ponder this for a bit and get back to you. I want to be logical and sincere about my next convictions. EnlightenUp, thanks for making things more clear here.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 10:35 PM
link   

I do believe you are mistaken on the cluster statment.
What we are looking at is a cluster of galaxies not one above a star cluster.
But then again mayhap I misunderstood what you said.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Go to Nasa webpage and see their new space craft design, they want to use dark matter, instead of other fuel types etc.

Also it was posted on ATS couple of months ago about a company which was making and producing equipment to hold dark matter.

I have to go look for both sites, wish me luck lol

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by TarzanBeta
But the force moving the air molecules is invisible.

The UV-B that can burn your skin is too, but it's measureable. Does everything or anything have to be visible to a human eye to exist? Just wondering.

Yeah - you would think that because people know the different between energy and matter that they would know the difference between the hypothetical dark energy and dark matter.

If evidence is accumulated favoring its existence, it's less hypothetical and more theoretical all the time.

Allegedly. As well, if gravity is what it is cracked up to be, it is a weak force.

It is cracked up to be a weak force, many orders of magnitude weaker than the others, yes. That's why you splat if you hit pavement from jumping out of a building, or why you don't fall right through the ground.

Therefore, dark matter, if it exists, would have little to no interaction with anything. ...

It would have gravity proportional to its mass. Dark energy would be responsible for distributing dark matter throughout the universe in the same way it would for normal matter.

In fact, I think should be pointed out that if dark matter and dark energy exist, that people realize that dark matter and dark energy CANNOT relate with eachother because the force of gravity, if it exists as we believe, cannot act upon energy in its more pure forms as strongly as it does on matter - and gravity is a weak force as it is.

But light can act upon matter and produce a force. A photon is massless but has momentum. Hmmm...not sure where you're going with this.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Go to Nasa webpage and see their new space craft design, they want to use dark matter, instead of other fuel types etc.

Will do. Thanks.

BTW, I feel like I'm being Futurama punked. It better be there!

Edit: I hope you find them because I'm not turning anything up at the moment. I'd think if containment of some sort were possible, this fact could be used in the construction of more efficient direct detectors on Earth.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Oozii

I wonder why specifically you can see it here and not in any other clusters in the Universe. I wonder if it's the fact that they're such old galaxies? or if they are emitting a kind of photon or somethnig that is making the colors stand out?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join