It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quiet Sun leads to upper atmosphere collapse

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Quiet Sun leads to upper atmosphere collapse

www.cosmosmagazine.com/news

WASHINGTON: The upper reaches of Earth's atmosphere are unexpectedly shrinking and cooling due to lower ultraviolet radiation from the Sun, U.S. scientists said.

The Sun's energy output dropped to unusually low levels from 2007 to 2009, a significantly long spell with virtually no sunspots or solar storms, according to scientists from the National Center for Atmospheric Research in Boulder, Colorado.

During that period, the thermosphere, whose altitude ranges from about 90 to 500 kilometers, shrank and contracted from the sharp drop in ultraviolet radiation, said the study published in Geophysical Research Letters.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 09:17 PM
link   
I'm not a geologist or anything, but that just doesn't sound good to me. Input by OzWeatherman and/or Phage or anyone else who is knowledgeable in this field would be appreciated!

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by OrphenFire

my theory is that the sun powers our protective magnetic shield in an induced manner so when the sun powers up so will our shield
no proof only theory

xploder

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by XPLodER
reply to post by OrphenFire

my theory is that the sun powers our protective magnetic shield in an induced manner so when the sun powers up so will our shield
no proof only theory

xploder

What do you base this theory on? I tend to believe that the earth's electromagnetic field is induced by the rotation of the earth's core, among other factors. Like I said, I'm not a geologist or meteorologist. That just makes more sense to me than the sun powering it.

ETA:

Also, the EMF is not what is disappearing. It's the thermosphere. I'm pretty sure the EMF is not even a part of the technical "atmosphere", it's simply the invisible field of electromagnetism surrounding earth.

[edit on 8/26/2010 by OrphenFire]

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 09:24 PM
link   
PUZZLING COLLAPSE OF THE THERMOSPHERE
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Scientists baffled by unusual upper atmosphere shrinkage

Record Collapse of Earth's Upper Atmosphere Puzzles Scientists

Earth atmosphere collapse puzzles scientists

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by this_is_who_we_are

Lol... many threads on this.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Okay so I looked at those threads.

This new information must be the supposed explanation. Before it was "puzzling collapse", but now it's "quiet sun leads to upper atmosphere collapse". So they apparently figured it out. Now what are the implications, if any?

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Well, if the thermosphere protects us from high-energy solar radiation, and it's shrinking, and solar cycle 24 is ramping up, then... SPF 100 anyone?

edit= "Yikes! and away!"

[edit on 8/26/2010 by this_is_who_we_are]

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 11:04 PM
link   
If the "quiet sun" lead to the collapse...then the newly active sun ought to beef it up a bit and get us back up to speed?...We are all part of cycles within cycles...

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by wiseone11

Unless it works in a similar way as a cardiovascular system. That is, not exercising will weaken your muscles and your cardio. Then suddenly trying to outrun a marathon runner can kill you. Heart attack, cardiac arrest, exhaustion, etc. I'm just making a wild comparison here. Not sure if it works in the same way or if it functions more like an electrical current. If voltage is high, current is strong (assuming resistance is low). If voltage is low, current is low. So in which way does the sun affect the thermosphere? Does it strengthen and weaken directly? Or will a sudden increase in solar activity be dangerous to the newly weakened atmosphere?

new topics

top topics

join