It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Torture in LA jails considered by authorities

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 07:31 PM
link   
This is disgusting.

LA authorities plan to use heat-beam ray in jail

A device designed to control unruly inmates by blasting them with a beam of intense energy that causes a burning sensation is drawing heat from civil rights groups who fear it could cause serious injury and is "tantamount to torture."

The mechanism, known as an "Assault Intervention Device," is a stripped-down version of a military gadget that sends highly focused beams of energy at people and makes them feel as though they are burning. The Los Angeles County sheriff's department plans to install the device by Labor Day, making it the first time in the world the technology has been deployed in such a capacity.

The American Civil Liberties Union of Southern California criticized Sheriff Lee Baca's decision in a letter sent Thursday, saying that the technology amounts to a ray gun at a county jail. The 4-feet-tall weapon, which looks like a cross between a robot and a satellite radar, will be mounted on the ceiling and can swivel.

Please someone fire those sons of b***** and charge them with something.

[edit on 26-8-2010 by Vitchilo]

Mod Note: Starting A New Thread – Please Review Link

Mod Note (This Appears On Every New Thread/Post Reply Page):
Please make sure every post matters.
Refrain from 1-line or very-minimal responses.
Edit-down your quoted posts to the important part.
Don't use "txting" shorthand in posts.
Use snippets and links for external content.
Provide meaningful comments for links, pictures, and videos.

[edit on 26/8/2010 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 08:03 PM
link   
If you can't do the time, don't do the crime.

Guards are incredibly outnumbered by increasingly violent inmates, would you rather they use bullets?

Would that be more humane?

Shoot to kill, or simply to wound?

Tasers are better maybe?

Or should there be no guards with any weapons?

How about we give the guards and jailers wooden sticks only?

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Torture in American prisons

Prison guards ..... a.k.a `Screws`

Until the mid 1800s, prisons, at least in England, were places of punishment only, with no concept of rehabilitation for the prisoners. One of the forms of punishment was to crank a handle attached to a large wooden box. The cranking did nothing, other than turn a counter. The prisoner had to do 10,000 turns in 8 hours, equivalent to one every 3 seconds or so. As an extra punishment a warder could tighten a screw to make turning more difficult. Warders came to be known as 'screws'. By inference, the prisoner was 'screwed' and, although 'screw' remained within the prison environment, eventually 'to be screwed' became widespread.

link

Its a frightening thought that many U.S prisons have become integral parts of states/county employment. Not to mention the goods produced by inmates for next to nothing.

****** edited : to remove unsupported statistics **********

[edit on 26-8-2010 by UmbraSumus]

[edit on 27-8-2010 by UmbraSumus]

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by UmbraSumus

Wow those are some eye-opening stats you listed. I had no idea that prisoners made such a huge percentage of those things...

Thanks for those and the vids.

[edit on 26/8/2010 by Chamberf=6]

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Yes, thank you. I knew that prisons are becoming a racket to the point that states are using them as a source of revenue. The slave trade is back, it's called prison. If you don't work your in solitaire and/or get more time added to your sentence. If you do work you get paid (depending on the state or institution) from 4 to 5 cents an hour to a dollar an hour (those are the coveted jobs). And they work long hours and have no choice.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Fractured.Facade

Its one thing to use this in a maximum security setting against violent criminals, but to insist it be used on everyone equally seems crazy. not to mention you will have the types of guards who will play with a new toy at the expense of a human being. Imagine if a family member of yours were to be arrested on a dui or something and a fight breaks out between other inmates and your family member gets zapped. How do you feel about using this on animals? is it acceptable to you?

edit: changed i to a

[edit on 8/26/2010 by bane9907]

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Hey why not torture prisoners?? We do it to brown people, so now we pick another set of undesirables and when the public accepts it, we move on to torturing YOU, the average Joe, for whatever we can think of.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by bane9907

How do you feel about using this on animals? is it acceptable to you?

What is the difference between a wild caged animal and jailed criminals?

What is acceptable to you?

There has to be some kind of control over inmates, whether it is a ray gun, taser or bullets is simply a matter of choice.

When you remove the ability to control jailed criminals there is no point in having jails.

Of course there are going to be unfortunate abuses, but it would be wise to be on the side of the law in this case.

Unless you actually believe criminals can be jailed peacefully without any use of force or weapons?

Would you want to be locked up in a jail for DUI where jailers were prohibited from using any force or non-lethal weapons on inmates?

[edit on 26-8-2010 by Fractured.Facade]

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 08:56 PM
link   

XIII Amendment to the US Constitution is as follows:

Article. XIII.
[Proposed 1865; Ratified 1865]
Section. 1. Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.

Section. 2. Congress shall have power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.

[edit on 26-8-2010 by slugger9787]

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 08:59 PM
link   

I do not believe the statistics, thank you.

They are overinflated, just like the perils this new machine is going to produce.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Ummm,
So how is this any different than using a firehose?
Other than the fact it will not hit them with physical force.
They are just switching from cold to hot is all.
And it keeps the guards safe as well.
Plus if you are not in a fight it will probably not be used on you.
This is not tied down to a board being asked questions or being forced to listen to David Hasselhoff songs, now those are tortures.
Bad naming on the post.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by hoghead cheese

Criminals, by the time they get sentenced to some serious time, have ripped assunder the little piece of society wherein they have lived.

For every time a criminal is caught, arrested, convicted and sentenced for a crime, he/she has about 200-250 unsolved crimes in his/her past.

The cost to society, state and local government is staggering.

So what if they work at $0.75 per day to make paint, toasters, furniture?

They are paying back their debt to society that they have willfully damaged and destroyed in their careers.

And so what if you introduce the possibility of on the job injury and death for a career criminal.

BFD

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Look if they just behave and follow the rules then everything will be okay, they won't get hurt.

I mean, after all they are in there because they have a history of NOT FOLLOWING RULES don't they?

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Having spent a bit of time in an incarceration facility and realizing the big mix of violent and nonviolent prisoners, I would be quite happy to have Bubba, who's twice as big as me, be given a does of pain to stop him from beating my ass because I don't want to give him my cookie.

If I agree for Bubba to take my cookie, what else would he believe he can take from me?

Yes, no doubt there will be some abuses of this technology by guards, that's a given. However, a temporary burning sensation surely would be better than 3 or 4 guards beating on a convict with steel batons.

Now, separating violent offenders from nonviolent offenders, that's a different issue, that might prove effective in protecting weaker inmates from Bubba, and, the for sure, innocent, yet, convicted inmates from the predators. Meanwhile, prison life is what it is, today.

I wish Bubba had been incapcitated for a few seconds by a pain ray, than my having to fight with him, and getting injured while the guards spent time unlocking gates and rushing to aid me. Not that they rushed really fast. lol I was, after all, just a hippie looking kid.

P.S. Bubba did suffer more injuries from my defensive actions than he would have from the pain ray. But ultimately, I suffered way worse injuries from Bubba. And all over a damn sugar cookie.
But that sugar cookie represented way more than just a simple cookie, to me AND Bubba.

Just my .02 New World Money Units.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 09:29 PM
link   
A+++ for LA

I think every Jail in the country needs this system. I think a inmate would be a little hesitant to so something stupid if there is a chance of being microwaved like a frozen burrito.

The Jails are woefully understaffed considering the number of inmates for each jailer, and more and more of them are very violent. The guards need every edge they can get.

These systems are actually more humane than some of the other "approved" systems, like sting balls, pepper spray, etc....

This system is focusable, and can be dirrected at the inmate(s) that are causing the trouble, thereby leaving the other inmates that are not causing any trouble, alone.

If you want to use a LTL deterrent system, this is a good one. If an inmate acts up, then he gets lit-up a bit, if he/she doesn't quit they get more, if they do quit the burrning stops. Simple.

When you have inmates that are from diffrent rival gangs, who are so pissed off at eachother, that the pepperspray would just be a sinus clearer, maybe getting "nuked" will take the fight out of them. (by putting the fire in them).

Whats your recomendation? Send in a bunch of guards that are just there doing their job, to feed their famillys, so that they can be injured or killed?

We need to start being on the side of the Police, Guards, etc.. and not the Prisoners. They have enough people working for them. (on our dime I might add)

I personally hope the Sheriff tells the ACLU to stuff it, and uses the system anyway.

[edit on 8/26/2010 by Ghost of Chewie]

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by slugger9787

I do not believe the statistics, thank you.

They are overinflated, just like the perils this new machine is going to produce.

I believe the 2008 program i embedded, which mentioned those statistics, based them on the PEW Center Report
Also ... B.B.C News

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 09:32 PM
link   
i worked in prisons for fifteen years.

Whatever advantage and appliance the custody officers employ rto maintain custody, control, safety and security, i say more power to them.

What you have in a prison see is a small sized city of the worst behaved people in a particular state.

The officer to inmate ratio is 200 to 1.

The concentration of angry, irresponsible, hateful, stupid, mean, petty, disrespectful, psychotic, insane, aberrant people is beyond understanding.

Lots of prisoners do not speak the same language as the officers-----but a language everyone on earth understands is
--- PAIN---

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by slugger9787

Whatever advantage and appliance the custody officers employ rto maintain custody, control, safety and security, i say more power to them.

What you have in a prison see is a small sized city of the worst behaved people in a particular state.

The officer to inmate ratio is 200 to 1.

The concentration of angry, irresponsible, hateful, stupid, mean, petty, disrespectful, psychotic, insane, aberrant people is beyond understanding.

Lots of prisoners do not speak the same language as the officers-----but a language everyone on earth understands is
--- PAIN---

Stanford Prison Experiment

Google Video Link

The power of the situation.

slugger9787

slugger9787

And thats just the prison guards if you are anything to go by ....

slugger9787

Lots of prisoners do not speak the same language as the officers-----but a language everyone on earth understands is --- PAIN---

Nice.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by UmbraSumus
American prisons produce 100% of all military helmets, ammunition belts, bullet proof vests, .
93% of domestically used paints,
36% of home appliances,
21% of office furniture, which allows America to compete with factories in Mexico.
You get solitary confinement if you refuse to work! .

Thus America has successfully reinvented the slave trade.

And the problem with this is WHAT?

At least the SOB's are finally contributing to society, rather than being a major drain on one.

It is not SLAVE labor, these people had a choice to make and they made the wrong one, and ended up in prison. It should be uncomfortable, you should have no choices, you should have NO rights in Jail except the right to daily feedings, and personal safety, since you violated someone elses rights to be in there in the first place.

If you feel that another persons rights are not of value, then why should yours be? They should not be! But here we are, with a justice system that feels that the criminals should have more rights, than the law abiding people they wronged in the first place.

IMO

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Hey look, If you are going to try to tell me the Sanford experiment is going to be replicated with this microwave device you are breathing air on not the same planet as me.

I know what the experiment did and how it got out of hand.

Tell you what, I took a tour of a prison before I got hired, and in a housing unit, which had six stories of cellblocks from floor to ceiling and about 100-200 inmates per floor. This was a regular housing unit, not a administrative segregation unit.

One of the guys who was on the tour had human feces thrown on him, I was propsitioned to have imoral homosexual sex as well as others in the group, one other guy had urine tossed on him, so we go looking for the perp who threw the feces, and find that he had eaten the evidence.

So go work in a prison, take a tour or whatever.

Then get sanctimonious with me.

I worked with a staff who was raped, one staff got hit on the head with a lock in a sock...., another staff was shot by an ex inmate, and another raped and murdered by an ex inmate.

I always told this to the inmates where I worked:
"Hey, do you like how you are being treated here at this prison???"

They always reply: "No, not really!!!"

Yhen I said "THEN DON'T COME BACK, OKAY???"

They say "I am not coming back"

A year or so later, here they come again.

And I would see them, make eye contact with them and start singing the famous Steely Dan song:

In the morning you go gunning for the man who stole your water
and you fire till he is done in but they catch you at the border
and the mourners are all singing as they drag you by your feet
but the hangman isn't hanging so they ut you on the street

and you go back jack do it again, wheel turn round and round...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join