It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Americans Eat About 23 More Pounds of Cheese Per Year Than in 1950

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 06:25 PM
link   
I just thought I would throw this little piece of information out there. I think its pretty interesting.

I was watching Bill Maher stand up a little while ago, and he said in 1950, Americans ate about 7 pounds of cheese per year, and now Americans eat around 30 pounds of cheese per year. I decided to look that up, and, well....its pretty true! Heres the article off of Agriculture Factbook 2001-2002. Link

Average annual consumption of cheese (excluding full-skim American and cottage, pot, and baker’s cheeses) increased 287 percent between the 1950s and 2000, from 7.7 pounds per person to 29.8 pounds. Lifestyles that emphasize convenience foods were probably major forces behind the higher consumption.

That site has information on other foods, but Ill keep this post about cheese.

I love cheese, even though eating a ton of it really isnt that good for the body. I just thought this would be some interesting stuff to put out there......and considering how fat America is these days......

[edit on 26-8-2010 by buni11687]

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 06:37 PM
link   
I think some of that has to do with avalibility of really good cheese.

I was brought up on green tubes of parmesean (thanks Kraft), american cheese, and swiss.

Now we we have literally 1000's of choices thanks to Whole Foods, COSTCO, and Trader Joes

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 06:38 PM
link   
I believe it.
Cheese goes on so many things, pizza, spaghetti, burgers, macaroni, sandwiches, tacos, quesadillas, in sauces........

mmmmmm

with wine, and fruit, and crackers....

I can easily see how our consumption of cheese has gone way up, too bad that extra 20 lbs ends up on us ...

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 06:43 PM
link   
And you also have to put into the equation - how many more people there are today, than in 1950. Thats a ton of cheese. Imagine how much we will be eating 20 years from now....if we live that long.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 07:24 PM
link   
what's wrong with eating a lot of cheese ?

It's a big part of my diet and has been helping me put on lots of lean muscle mass.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

Duhhh!
You pair cheese with something as mundane as... mmmm say macaroni then POOF! what happens?
You simply have magic in a bowl.
Cheese rocks whether it is good or bad for me, I do not care as it is cheese.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Okay..I don't think americas weight problem has anything to do with eating too much cheese.

Think of the french..I was just researching school lunches in united states compared to that of french schools and was completely shocked and kinda disgusted. I didn't know that the meat "they" serve in school is the lowest grade meaning it's a 1/2 step up from dog food. The meat served in US schools cannot even be sold in stores/supermarkets!

French schools menus are AMAZING! Well, anyway..I went off on school lunches but I think americans think of velveeta when they think of cheese.

too much fast food, processed food, facebook, and wii's...that's what is making americans fat....pure LAZINESS.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Neopan100

I havent really looked up what is all in American school lunches, but I always thought the food tasted like something Ill never want to eat again, unless I had to.

On the "dog food" thing, I had a friend that worked at Taco Bell about a year ago, and he said the meat they used was almost dog food grade. I think it was "grade d"? I think its more than likely true that almost all fast food places use low-grade meat. Its disgusting, but Taco Bell is just awesome, even though Ill probably die from eating it too much.

Cheese is just amazing though. One of the best foods ever made. Its just that the US is eating 23 more pounds per year since 1950. A 60 year time span and we eat 287% more. Im suprised im still as skinny as I am, 22 years old, 5'11 and 140lbs.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Cheese is alright in moderation. Not one of my favorite foods, I have it now and then. My daughter has a weight problem and of course I know what she likes to eat. She ask me what I thought was in her diet that was putting the weight on her (she exercises a lot). My answer was easy, she eats cheese every day on something. I told her to cut down on the cheese and she said that is going to be difficult because I feel addicted to it. She tried real hard to not eat as much but has never been able to substain for very long. I have wondered about this as I have seen others say oh cheese, yes I love it. And now this report!

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

Americans Eat About 23 More Pounds of Cheese Per Year Than in 1950

There is absolutely No tangible evidence that N. Americans love cheese..!!!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/14734832fa8f.jpg[/atsimg]

My bad...

BTW - I'm lovin' me some brie (many diff. flavs.) at least once a month...and the sad part - I drink beer with it. Yes, I just admitted that...

And go here aftercheese.wordpress.com...

Great article and insight - with a grin.

gmmaarr idte!

[edit on 26-8-2010 by facelift]

top topics

join