It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mystery Light On The West Coast of Norway

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Apparently, there was a mystery light on the western coast of Norway. A meterologist have looked at this photograph, which was taken by a 24\7 web camera 5:30 in the morning, and could not explain it by anything mundane. According to the owner of the camera, there was nothing on the lense to account for the occurence of this phenomena, and there was nothing wrong with the camera itself.

The picture is the only one as the camera takes a picture once a minute, and I would appreciate anyone attributing this to anything mundane along with an explanation.

The owner discounts carlights as there are not any roads in the vicinity of the camera, the meterologist opens for the possibility of a reflection from the camera itself.

It's not thought as being a comet, as the light would be elongated by the movement of the object. It's neither thought of as a satellite flare, and one reader refered to this link: www.heavens-above.com...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/55226f3b37b4.jpg[/atsimg]

Source: Picture of mystery light

Here's the live feed from the camera that captured the image: Live feed camera

I'm open for any explanation as long as it's elaborated.

PS: I would suggest looking at the picture from the source link, as it seems as if it's width is restricted on this site.

[edit on 26/8/10 by Droogie]

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   
S&F for you because I hope you get some good replies. I'm not technically inclined, so I have no ideas. Very interesting catch, though! Thanks for posting!

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by DogsDogsDogs

Thanks for that, so do I! Unfortunately, norwegian meterologists haven't got a clue about weather. They suck, to put it bluntly, but then again... I suspect every meterologist to know just as much as the local astrologist.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 04:50 PM
link   
If in doubt just blame it in on a failed rocket,Its the best answer and heaps of people will believe it.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Please allow me to be the first to suggest...

... a blurry long exposed helicopter?

... it's something to do with HAARP.

... it's something to do with disclosure.

... it's a swarm of white burning chinese lanterns (or fireworks?)

In all seriousness tho, I have no idea what that thing is. I've had a good stare at it for ages but can't make any sense of it. Bizarre.

S&F. Hopefully some people will come up with some plausible ideas soon.

[edit on 26-8-2010 by eightfold]

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 11:41 PM
link   
I think there are tons of things to rule out before settling in for the least likely explanation, unfortunately there is not sufficient information to even start ruling stuff out in this case. Heck, looks like a crappy webcam photo. Followed the story link but I don't speak the language, so if there is a better picture link in the story I would not know.

[edit on 27-8-2010 by IgnoreTheFacts]

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 03:38 AM
link   
reply to post by IgnoreTheFacts

There's really no more additional information to add, as the most pertinent details from the article has been translated in the OP. At this time there's not anything new on the subject, but I'll keep an eye open and post it if it comes up.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 04:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Droogie

Droogie.....

With "slider bars".

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 04:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Maybe...maybe not

Thank you! I'll have to learn that function myself

Any idea as to what the light might be caused by?

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 05:04 AM
link   
Seems a little odd that there are no pictures showing where/how the camera is sited, not even a description.. He may be a meteorologist, but I would question his scientific approach. Is the camera up high, accessible to the public, is it near thoroughfares or walkways, is there an archive of the images, how well known is it, etc...

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 05:18 AM
link   
And if it is from that webcam, why is it cropped? The image size doesn't match, nor does the ratio of height to width. That makes it very difficult to compare it to the background scenery.

Also, is any of this information coming from the people who own/run the webcam? It translates as if it was just downloaded by a passer-by, and then they asked a meteorologist - is that meteorologist linked to the site? Surely the folk to ask are the people who know the camera.

I'm afraid my Norwegian isn't good.. but the reporting seems just a little less than thorough....

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 06:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Droogie

Droogie me ol' mate!

Thank you! I'll have to learn that function myself

Just delete the letters "ats" from the prefix & suffix of the embed code.

Any idea as to what the light might be caused by?

No.....I've had only had a very brief look.

I'll have a bit of a look now.

Cheers
Maybe...maybe not

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by CHRLZ

By the way, the camera is owned by a web site of the county. It doesn't say what relation the one that captured it has in regards to the camera or the county, but I believe he's the one that maintains it.

Actually, it is mentioned in the article where it was taken, and in what the direction the camera was pointed. The camera is mounted on Krokåsen, pointed South-West in the direction of an island called Alden, here's a link to google maps which shows the hill from where the camera is mounted:

Krokåsen Web Camera Position

I can't locate the camera on the map though, but at least you get to see from where the image was captured.

And I believe the coverage of this incident is bismal due to the local townspeople of small cities such as this has no interest in it, and it's subject to ridicule. It's not taken seriously at all and it's not approached by curiosity, it's rather ignored than anything.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 09:32 AM
link   
As I was checking out the web cameras live feed, I captured these screenshots. A friend called the owner of the camera, from the article, and asked what it might be. He couldnt answer what it was, but it was definitely not any internal lighting from the camera itself, but I'm sure one of you can explain it though.

Live feed, in case you want to check for yourself: Live feed

Behind a cloud:

Fading out:

Mod edit: image tags corrected.

[edit on 27/8/2010 by ArMaP]

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 09:58 AM
link   
What kind of camera did he say it was? I have three cams mounted to the house pointing at the sky and see this all the time. It's either a bird or an insect VERY close to the camera and lit by IR. You can see the wings if you look. I say this cam has IR whether the operator admits to it or not. Can someone who speaks the language ask for make and model please?

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Droogie

Sun dog - lens flare. On my simple kodak the lens flare is a lilac to purple diamond. Zoomed in it looks like a really cool UFO
. I haven't tested the Canon cameras for lens flare appearance. Might do that today!

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by SeenMyShare

Thanks, I guess it's just an awesome looking sun dawg then

The owner was out of town and wasn't able to answer alot of questions when my friend called him up, so will have to wait with the information regarding the camera.

And the picture in the OP could resemble a bird now that you say so, good observation!

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by SeenMyShare

I'm having some doubts about this being a sun dog after reading through wikipedia. Let me quote:

Sundogs are red-colored at the side nearest the sun. Farther out the colors grade through oranges to blue. However, the colors overlap considerably and so are muted, never pure or saturated.

Wikipedia: Sun dog

The pictures and what I saw however, was completely bright blue without any hints of other colors.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by SeenMyShare
It's either a bird or an insect VERY close to the camera and lit by IR. You can see the wings if you look.

SeeMyShare.....

I can see what you mean with the "wings".

However the "body" has taken on a rather bizarre rectangular appearance.

I've not seen that before.....

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Maybe...maybe not

Good point, and it seems to be tilted in a weird angle as well.

This might prove to be unidentifiable due to the poor quality of the captured photograph. But as I'm not well versed in analyzing images, I'll leave the conclusions to the competent ones.

I would appreciate if anyone could substantiate the conclusion that my latter screen captures are in fact the phenomenon known as "sun dogs".

The fact that it seemingly seems to disappear when the clouds cover the part of the camera where the reflection are supposed to be, raise questions on my part.

[edit on 27/8/10 by Droogie]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join